SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Galco Holster Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galco Holster Question Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I ordered a #248 which is suppose to fit the 228. I have the holster and it says 248 on it. I am having a problem trying to get my 228 to fit. Try as I might, I can't get the 228 to enter. I hate to grease things up.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
GALCO uses the numeral 248 in a number of their holsters styles: paddle, Askins owb, iwb, kydex and shoulder holster. They typically use letters before the numerals to designate the style: TR, S3H, PLE, SCT, etc.

Who did you purchase it from?
What specific GALCO product did you order?
What does your shipping order state?

Assuming your holster does not have a tension screw, I would contact the vendor you ordered from before doing anything more.

GALCO INTERNATIONAL is located in Phoenix. If you have no luck with your vendor, maybe contact GALCO directly and send them some images of your holster and the P228 fitment requirements.

Address: 2019 W Quail Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85027
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon
Phone: (623) 434-7070

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I ordered directly from Galco. On the package it came in, it states what Sig models it will fit and 228/229 are there.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Call GALCO on Monday to get it figured out. It could have been packaged incorrectly. They've had their holsters being made offshore for several years now. Don't apply anything to the holster w/o consulting them.

Does the boning appear to be for a P228?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
THIS IS MY FAULT. I didn't read the instructions. Things will be fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maxwayne,

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
THIS IS MY FAULT. I didn't read the instructions. Things will be fine.

Care to elaborate? We all make mistakes.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'll take "tension screw" for $100, Alex. Big Grin

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Tension screw wins.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Tension screw wins.

Big Grin

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am still having a problem with this holster. I have totally loosened the tension screw and wrapped the gun in a plastic bag. It still does not fit. I called Galco and the guy told me I may have to wrap it in 5 plastic bags. Time I get it to fit, I am going to be too old to carry it.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You could ask for an RMA to return it. Their holsters are made in Mexico by humans. Mistakes are possible.

If you've got the tension screw completely loosened and still have fitment issues, there's something else going on.

FWIW, when I've had fit issues with a new leather holster, I usually wrap in two or more heavy duty ZIP LOCK bags, not thin SARAN WRAP.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Is the front sight oem or aftermarket (ie, fiber optic?).

I ask because I have fiber optic sights on an EMP4 which cause a noticeable drag in a GALCO holster. The front sight has dug a ragged channel into the leather.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
OEM sights

John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
Zip lock bags and shoe-stretch spray can fix some fit issues.

Posts: 592 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I recommend Mitch Rosen’s Leather Lightning for breaking in a tight holster. It’s not greasy, works like magic:

https://mitchrosen.com/products/additional-products/

“Leather Lightning™ is applied to the inside of a holster to produce a slick draw…”

I bought two bottles for two holsters (Rosen 5JR and an Alessi Bodyguard), but needed less than one bottle for both holsters.

Rather than applying it to the inside of the holster, I applied it on the tight parts of the pistols – the front of the slides, and the front of the trigger guards (3 or 4 times).

The “baggie” method can over stretch parts of the holster.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your pistola have a rail? My guess is that it does. A holster marked for a P228/P229 would indicate that it was made for the P229 w/o a rail.

further investigation of Galco's website shows that the #248 Miami Classic rig should have the S3H holster component, which they say fits:
"BROWNING BDA .45 * SIG-SAUER P220 (DA), P220 COMBAT (DA), P220 w/rail (DA), P220R Carry (DA), P225 (P6), P226 (DA), P226 MK25, P226 w/rail (DA), P228, P229 (DA), P229 w/rail (DA)". Make sure that's what you have.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post