SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Sweet spot, comfort and comforting

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sweet spot, comfort and comforting Login/Join 
posted
Today when I was carrying to some various appointments and errands I was suddenly struck by two things: how very comfortable my carry was, and how very comforting it was.

I carry OWB at around 3:30-4pm and under my normal polo, wearing shorts, it was so completely concealed my eagle-eyed wife (who can see things in the back of the refrigerator at 5 yards, and can tell if I have my wallet in my pocket or just my cell phone) didn't know if I was armed. But more than that, it was SO comfortable it felt like a nice soft pillow in my right side.

That pillow feeling was also VERY comforting -- it was a way of knowing I was well armed (with my 16 rounds of 9mm in my M11A1). It gave me a sense of well-being to know I could defend myself and my loved ones at no expense of any pain or even discomfort of any sort.

Now -- this required a bit of adjustment. When I first was carrying (many months ago) I had the pistol too far back (more like 4-4:30) and it didn't feel good at all when sitting, and not real great even when standing. It took an adjustment of one belt loop over to get to the sweet spot, but what a difference it made!

I think everyone needs to work on their carry solution until it is, like mine, so comfortable and comforting you don't even slightly think twice about carrying. When I get home and take it off I actually miss it (I'm no less well protected, having weapons within 10 inches of me, but I miss the pillow in the back and might have to take a real pillow out to put there just to simulate it).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think thats just the natural progression of CCW. Thats why you some people who say the G17 is too big for CCW but a 19 isnt. They just didn't find the right combo of placement/belt/holster. I never let my comfort dictate my choice of carry. i chose the bet tool for the job and made it comfortable.

Posts: 6295 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's what happened for me. I started with a much smaller pistol (the P938) but I didn't feel like I could shoot it well. My M11A1 is a perfect fit for my shooting style, but it was SO much larger I worried about carrying it.

As you said, folks just need to find the right fit (which, nowadays with all the options available, should be something they can find eventually).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
OWB is without a doubt more comfortable than IWB, but you risk printing unless you conceal effectively. My body shape won't allow it without an untucked collared shirt of some type. A regular shirt wouldn't cut it unless it was very loose which would just look odd. My primary carry is a G26 or G43 in an AIWB holster.

You have the right to be offended. Now shut up.

Posts: 1634 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Report This Post