SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Cross country camping, travel with long arms ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cross country camping, travel with long arms ? Login/Join 
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted
Not sure how to format this question, but here goes.

So I have a camper, and have started talking to more retirees in the fall, who sometimes spend many months on the road, in many states. Firearms came up on one discussion. Can you posses a shotgun, or lever type rifle, in travels across most states without a permit from each state ? I know handguns are tough, but a hunting type firearms, for those remote trips where help isn't readily available ?

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you may transport an unloaded lever or bolt action rifle or shotgun across most states. All three, if you would like. The firearm must be unloaded in many states. Also be very careful with ammo selection. Some states take issue with hollow point ammo.

Highest risk states include: MD, NJ, NY, and DC.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's a great resource ! Thanks

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post