SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Ear protection with your nightstand gun?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ear protection with your nightstand gun? Login/Join 
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Not sure I've seen this topic covered before -

A recent home invasion in a nearby neighborhood got me thinking about my home defense plan. I'll save the details for another thread, but I am considering keeping a set of electronic ears on the shotgun bag under the bed so if things do resort to pulling the trigger, not being able to hear will not be a distraction I will need to worry about.

Thoughts on this?


___________________________
I seek righteousness, but i'll take revenge.
____________________________
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 7972 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Good idea if you have time to put them on. Also a plus for other family members.

Dan
 
Posts: 1804 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It has been discussed, but not in some time.

I have a set of electronic muffs by my bed, and I put them on if I feel the need to investigate a strange noise. They can’t hurt, and if nothing else I like the sound amplification.




“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy
 
Posts: 36355 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of having my electronic ear muffs handy -- as it is, they sit about three feet away so I think tonight I'll move them to the nightstand.


Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
 
Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It has been discussed, but not in some time.

I have a set of electronic muffs by my bed, and I put them on if I feel the need to investigate a strange noise. They can’t hurt, and if nothing else I like the sound amplification.


I agree wholeheartedly!

I have moderate hearing loss in both ears. I think that the electronic muffs are a significant aid when trying to figure out what's going on in a dark house.

One might think that it's just another thing, an unnecessary thing that'll delay you as you enter a potential crisis in your own home. But let me ask, if you're in bed and you hear a suspicious noise that may well be a break-in, will you take the time to put on pants, or will you just run out naked with pistol in hand?

What I'm getting at here is that, yes, you probably will do some minimal preparation beyond just grabbing your gun. And throwing on a set of electronic muffs that you pre-position near your pistol can take nearly zero additional time while producing a HUGE benefit and tactical advantage, as well as preserving your hearing after the incident.

I keep a chair near my bed. When I go to bed I drape my pants over the back of the chair with the waist resting in the seat of the chair. My holster is an IWB model, and is on the pants when I put them there. My pistol is in the holster, and the E-muffs are also on the chair seat. If I need to respond to something suspicious, I can put the muffs and pants on, with pistol in holster in a flash.


Thanks,

Sap
 
Posts: 2788 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It has been discussed, but not in some time.

I have a set of electronic muffs by my bed, and I put them on if I feel the need to investigate a strange noise. They can’t hurt, and if nothing else I like the sound amplification.


I agree wholeheartedly!

I have moderate hearing loss in both ears. I think that the electronic muffs are a significant aid when trying to figure out what's going on in a dark house.

One might think that it's just another thing, an unnecessary thing that'll delay you as you enter a potential crisis in your own home. But let me ask, if you're in bed and you hear a suspicious noise that may well be a break-in, will you take the time to put on pants, or will you just run out naked with pistol in hand?

What I'm getting at here is that, yes, you probably will do some minimal preparation beyond just grabbing your gun. And throwing on a set of electronic muffs that you pre-position near your pistol can take nearly zero additional time while producing a HUGE benefit and tactical advantage, as well as preserving your hearing after the incident.

I keep a chair near my bed. When I go to bed I drape my pants over the back of the chair with the waist resting in the seat of the chair. My holster is an IWB model, and is on the pants when I put them there. My pistol is in the holster, and the E-muffs are also on the chair seat. If I need to respond to something suspicious, I can put the muffs and pants on, with pistol in holster in a flash.


From what I hear protocol is buck naked with shotgun and empty jar of Vaseline.



Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others
 
Posts: 8241 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
What I'm getting at here is that, yes, you probably will do some minimal preparation beyond just grabbing your gun.


Being naked wouldn't bother me (although I don't sleep that way) but I definitely need to put my glasses on or I might well shoot almost anything (even including my own reflection in glass or a mirror).

I think these things, like almost any thing we try and prepare for, will vary with the circumstances. If you wake up suddenly with a perp standing over you you won't have much time even to grab a gun, let alone put your equipment on. But with enough time even putting body armor on wouldn't be a bad idea.

I know for me it would be glasses, firearm, flashlight, phone and ear protection, in that order. Anything I didn't have enough time for would remain in place.


Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
 
Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
An electronic muff that amplifies small sounds (e.g., someone poking about in the house) but shuts out the sound of an actual gunshot makes some sense, I guess. If you have time to put them on.


 
Posts: 18177 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
maybe it's just me, but my electronic ears (and I've had a couple differnt kinds) all kind of distort where the sound is coming from a little.

left and right works, but behind me or in front of me isn't nearly as clear as it is with my natural ears.

I don't want to be disoriented like that if I've got someone in my house. My BIL is a Ranger and has fired a rifle indoors without and ear pro. He said he didn't even notice it at the time and it wasn't until after that he realized he did it. I think the adrenaline takes over and makes it a non issue?

Having said all that. I do keep a Tirant 9 in the gunvault with my G17. If I have time to affix it, i will.


E.S. Dunbar
________________________________
I'm confused...wait, maybe I'm not.
 
Posts: 5594 | Location: Toledo, Ohio | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It has been discussed, but not in some time.

I have a set of electronic muffs by my bed, and I put them on if I feel the need to investigate a strange noise. They can’t hurt, and if nothing else I like the sound amplification.


We think alike because mine are on the headboard.
 
Posts: 1252 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of FAS1
posted Hide Post
How about a suppressor for your HD gun? They are getting more popular all the time for HD use. Of course you have to get your shot off first to matter. Big Grin
 
Posts: 38 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think that even though they amplify sound they may make it hard to tell where the sound is coming from...and that could be very important. I haven't used electronic ear protection very much so I am not speaking from a ton of experience. I just don't see how they would work well distinguishing where sound may originate.
 
Posts: 296 | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think it depends a lot of what kind you use, but the relatively cheap (around $60) ones I use have forward facing dual microphones that make it easy to detect where noise is coming from. I can actually hear mosquitoes flying towards me if I have them turned up.

They wouldn't be very good for shooting purposes if they distorted the sound direction, as the whole point in wearing them is to still be able to hear properly. But if you get a chance you should try a pair on -- I was skeptical until I did and now I won't use anything else.


Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
 
Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Junior Member
Picture of PatrickMas20
posted Hide Post
Do the electronic ear protection create a ideal stereo image that mimics our own? Will your perception of sound location be distorted using electronic headphones?

I don't own a pair and that's why I ask, maybe you'll be more alert to the exact location of the sound if you are using just your ears.
 
Posts: 2 | Registered: October 28, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think it boils down to the protection such earphones provide versus the sound they provide. If you *are* going to need a weapon, and there is any likelihood of firing it, I think it would be prudent to have such amplified ear protection. While it might not be as good as your actual ears initially, it will certainly be far better after the first shot.

But, as I said, give them a try. They are actually pretty amazing and I was very skeptical at first. Even with a halfway decent pair they work so well I don't know I have them on (IOW, the sound is so similar to me not wearing them I wouldn't know that is the case except for the feel of them around my ears).


Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
 
Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Last year I went rifle deer hunting for the first time. I brought ear protection. When the deer came I cracked off a .308 and forgot put the ear muffs on. My ears never rang. I think with the adrenaline pumping I blocked it out.

I assume the same would happen at home x1000


_____________________________

There is no cure for stupidity, you either die from it or with it.
 
Posts: 3406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I keep them in my dresser which is ~6ft from my bed. I doubt I would use them with a bump in the night.


SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
 
Posts: 4582 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatrickMas20:
Do the electronic ear protection create a ideal stereo image that mimics our own? Will your perception of sound location be distorted using electronic headphones?

I don't own a pair and that's why I ask, maybe you'll be more alert to the exact location of the sound if you are using just your ears.


My experience is electronic hearing protection does not support normal stereoscopic hearing, at least not with the sub $100 devices. The brain's ability to discern direction by how the sound hits your ears gets defeated by the electronic sound filtering and enhancement.


_____________________________
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.

 
Posts: 4954 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My cheap electronics worn while hunting did not provide good directional info. Adequate, but not good. However, in a home, there are only so many places to investigate. Clear one, move to the next.


NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 2062 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If you have to use a gun in close quarters, hearing protection is down the list for worries.

I say don't worry about it.
 
Posts: 2731 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Ear protection with your nightstand gun?

© SIGforum 2017