SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Thoughts on shoulder holsters?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on shoulder holsters? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I’m thinking about getting me a shoulder holster to carry a S&W Shield 45. Any of you folks use a shoulder holster?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using one the past few months. A strong side holster hurts my hip as of late. It takes a little getting used to and some practice, but I’m getting there.
I’m carrying a G23 in a Miami Classic w/ the belt tie downs. The rig also makes a pretty good set of suspenders.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I use one if I'm going to be sitting for longer periods of time or where a hip holster is harder to get to. - driving, movie theater, or lots of classes.

Galco's Miami Classic is the most comfortable I've tried. I'd suggest NOT trying Tagua's. their leather is super stiff. It probably would break in just fine, but it wasn't comfortable to me. Galco's was good right out of the box and more easily adjusted. I'm sure there are other good ones out there. I've forgotten the couple others I tried before sticking with the Miami Classic.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've used them for many years as I would be in and out of cars.
Not so keen on the horizontal design vs. vertical for one simple reason... with the horizontal design you muzzle sweet anyone in the back seat while driving.
There are some sweet horizontal designs out there if this isn't a concern.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Check out Mitch Rosen's catalog, quality equipment.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I think they're good to have as an option, just like any other tool in the toolbox. I happen to use mine primarily when I am on the bike. With the gear I use, for me it is the best option.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
... with the horizontal design you muzzle sweet anyone in the back seat while driving.

No, you don't. It's holstered.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve had an Alessi “Bodyguard” horizontal shoulder rig for a couple of years. Very happy with it – wide harness straps over the shoulder for comfort. The pistol doesn’t dangle when I lean forward. Pouch for two mags on the offside. An excellent way to carry when wearing a jacket – especially when driving.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
One thing I liked about shoulder holsters had to do with retention (which of course completely depends on the holster no matter what type).

I did a defensive course in 2014 and we had a shoot in winter in the tundra of Western NY.
I was the only person there not directly LEO and many of the folks came in with IWB and other belt type holsters. From the appearance these were all well-broken in holsters and therefore you would expect reliable designs.

They had just plowed the range with a tractor and to get to the back you had to climb over a few sizeable snow mounds.

I thought it was interesting that while doing this about three people either had their pistols pop out of non-retention-positive belt holsters or had the entire holster pop off their belt and auger into the snow. (Obviously these were clip attach vs. closed loop type holsters).

This occurrence was not lost on me- if you have to move fast, run or do any kind of activity you need a holster that will not only give you good retention for your firearm but also stay attached...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using one of these with a Shield 9mm for years.
www.kangaroocarry.com

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got one from Ritchie Leather that gets regular use and have been very happy with it. I think Alessi and Ritchie are about the same and would recommend either.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Ritchie is the old Alessi company.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I advise against using a shoulder rig.

1- It often presents the weapon to an assailant in manner that is easier for them to grab.

2- On the range absolutely no one will want to be anywhere behind you as you draw and reholster. Your RSO will hate seeing that rig.

3- Unless you are very careful about how you draw and reholster, you will sweep the person on your weak side. No one will want to be next to you on the range. Again, your RSO will hate you.

4- Unless it's 1986, and your name is Sonny Crockett, you don't look nearly as cool as you think you do.

Shoulder holsters have their place for some very specialized applications, but for 99.9% of the people carrying a handgun they are a poor choice.

when I was a rookie, at my first LE job, they were allowed,and I tried several. i learned it is unlikely when under stress to perform, quals (for cops), or an actual defensive situation (everyone), that you will do the proper draw. It's unnatural and takes extra time. Most folks will just sweep the weak side to use a natural, and therefore quicker and smoother, draw. VERY unsafe for anyone in the 180 degree arc on your weak side though, which is why I abandoned the idea. I won't stand behind or weak side of anyone wearing a shoulder holster on the range, or when on duty. My first supervisor at that job used a shoulder rig, and I told him all the same things, and tried as much as possible not to shoot quals when he did, and insisted on being on his strong side of i couldn't avoid being on the range with him.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Ritchie is the old Alessi company.

Skip Ritchie was Lou Alessi's old apprentice/partner who spun off his own separate business. He does excellent quality work. http://www.ritchieholsters.com/

But Alessi Holsters is still around, run by Lou's daughter and some of his long-time staff, and still putting out quality holsters. http://www.alessigunholsters.com/

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a shoulder rig handy while in the driver's seat of a car? I've never considered one, but that's the one place they may be useful.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Is a shoulder rig handy while in the driver's seat of a car? I've never considered one, but that's the one place they may be useful.

That's why I used them occasionally when traveling around a lot while wearing suits.
Please let me hear someone say that a IWB holster is actually comfortable during a car ride.

(I usually hear people say "oh, I just take it off in the car"...)

But DMF is correct about the draw concerns from a shoulder rig- Not just safety- also speed and acquisition...
I had a range master tell me once it can cost you as much as three seconds vs. a belt-related holster.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart
Please let me hear someone say that a IWB holster is actually comfortable during a car ride.

(I usually hear people say "oh, I just take it off in the car"...)

Unless I'm sitting in something with really stiff high end sests my IWB doesn't cause me any issues. G26 in an R Grizzle.

Shoulder holsters are good for driving and other activities where the belt area isn't available. They are a tool, use them as such.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I prefer a shoulder rig if I'm out and about during the winter months wearing heavy coats or longer parkas. I find presentation to be faster in those cases.

The Miami Classic is what my P228 rides in.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Question for folks that wear them daily:

How well do they conceal in slacks and a loose fitting polo? I realize that I will have to pull my shirt up to grab the weapon, but I don't ever tuck my shirt in.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
Question for folks that wear them daily:

How well do they conceal in slacks and a loose fitting polo? I realize that I will have to pull my shirt up to grab the weapon, but I don't ever tuck my shirt in.
Interesting; I've never heard of anyone wearing a shoulder holster under a shirt.

There are videos of bra holsters, and that could give you some idea of what it'd be like to draw from comparable concealment.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not much different than those shirt holsters except most folks wear them with button downs, especially snap buttons.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post