SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Weird interaction with RISP, but good!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird interaction with RISP, but good! Login/Join 
Picture of barry1967
posted
As a lot of people know, RI has had some headlines about stopping NY state residents for coming to RI.

Anyway, RISP and the RING had set up at the first rest stop in RI to check and get contact info for NY residents coming to RI. I guess Coumo said he would sue RI for blah blah blah. Etc...

So on Sat I grabbed a few cases of water, Starbucks coffee bottles, soda some breakfast bars etc to donate to the RISP and RI National Guard members at said rest stop to show some support for the local first responders.

So of course we get the Stay at home order per the Governor and now I have a small dilemma to go out and deliver said goods. So I call the southern RISP barracks and state my issue. The trooper on the phone said they shut down the rest stop due to legal issues with NY state and stated I could drop off said items at the barracks. He gave me his name and said knock on the front door and he would come out and give me a hand.

So I get there and start to stack to unload stuff on my trunk and then go knock. He answers the door, Hi, Mr Barry XXX and I said yeah, never gave my name on the phone? I'm trooper XXX. What do we have? So we walk out to my car and he starts stacking stuff in his arms and I grab a couple things and then he says, can you get the door? I said I don't think I can. He said why? I stated that I had a ccw and he said huh? I said I had a concealed carry permit and didn't think I could go in the barracks armed, not sure of the rules. He said, oh no problem, come on in. Then he asks what I was carrying and I said a P365 and he said, great choice, that is what I use off duty. So three trips in and out and chatting the whole time, and the OIC came around the corner and thanked me as well. They seemed very surprised for the effort. The trooper said no-one has stopped in the barracks for at least a month. I said it's the least I could do considering whats going on. Maybe he wanted more visitors. LOL

Anyway,

What surprised me was that there was no surprises or questions with what I had disclosed, I was hesitant not knowing what to expect, but there was no where is the permit? Where is your ID? Where is the weapon? Just a honest to goodness guy who appreciated why I was there with no question for the fact I was carrying .

Kudos to the RISP. Restored a little more faith in me for the good guys out there who protect us everyday!

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's sad that folks in New England are surprised by a LEO having such a (non)reaction. Just highlights the large divide in attitudes about firearms between different regions of the country.

In the South, you'd be surprised if you got anything other than this reaction from a LEO.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It's sad that folks in New England are surprised by a LEO having such a (non)reaction. Just highlights the large divide in attitudes about firearms between different regions of the country.

In the South, you'd be surprised if you got anything other than this reaction from a LEO.
Might be a problem here in Florida.

We can carry most places, but police stations are on the forbidden list.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
You're doing a good deed for these troopers, not being detained for an investigation. I'm not really surprised they'd treat you like a friend, as your actions certainly defines the term. Good on you!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It's been my experince that disclosing the fact that you're carrying has the effect of putting LEO's at ease because why would someone tell them they have a gun if they were up to no good? As paranoid as NY is about such things I've had several interactions with the state police and I've never been asked to show my license.

Thank you for your good deed. As a retired guardsman it was always a morale boost when someone went out of their way for us.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
Here in Wyoming no permits are required to carry open or concealed. LEO Officers are prohibited from asking if you armed during a traffic stop. About 2 years ago my dog and I were speeding in my old Jeep Wrangler. A local T-Cop put the light on us. He ask for my drivers licence. I had to reach over the SIG 10MM on my belt. I was a little concerned. So said, Officer I am carrying a Handgun. He responded, I will make you a deal? He said, If you don't draw on me, I won't draw on You. And handed me a $75 dollar traffic ticket. Frown

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
It's been my experince that disclosing the fact that you're carrying has the effect of putting LEO's at ease because why would someone tell them they have a gun if they were up to no good?

While that concept is generally true, I can tell you from personal experience that scrotebags will occasionally volunteer that they have a gun while they are actually up to no good... Often in the dumbest ways possible.

We had a dude almost get ventilated on a traffic stop a few weeks ago. When asked the simple question of "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" he responded "I ain't gonna lie...", reached in between the driver's seat and console, and drew out a stolen .45 Glock. (Actually drew, as in full firing grip, finger positioned near the trigger, etc.) He was then surprised to find himself staring down the barrel of an extremely pissed off officer's duty weapon, and froze, taking a couple bouts of loud verbal commands before snapping out of it, dropping it out the driver's window, and being taken into custody. Turns out he had several warrants too.

Then there's the "Youtube Freedom Audit" types that wander or drive around while carrying guns and cameras, hoping for an confrontation with law enforcement, just so they can force the issue and video the interaction. While not necessarily being "up to no good" in a strictly criminal sense (although sometimes they are, like the pair in masks and body armor who barged into that police station a couple years back), their intent of argumentatively confronting an officer while carrying a weapon just for the interwebs fame or whatever is not entirely "good".

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
As I recall, their uniforms are very distinct. Chestnut brown high boots & Sam brown belts. No badge on the duty shirts but brass numbers. Red piping on grey Mountie pants.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know about RISP is that Jim Carrey played one in "Me, Myself, and Irene." I saw it in the theaters and was disappointed, it was not that funny.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...aviewer/rm1076607232

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...aviewer/rm1328265472

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
Correct!

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
There ARE good cops.

A lot more than you'd think going by toxic media coverage.

I've met a handful that I will never forget. Good men.

Sounds like you've met one.

I think he did, too.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

When I was on the road, someone would tell me "I have a CCDW and a gun in the vehicle" to which I would reply "This is Kentucky and everyone has a gun". It always lightened the tone.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post