SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Road trip transporting pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road trip transporting pistol Login/Join 
posted
I am planning on driving to Massachusetts from Texas and have a chl. I understand the reciprocating states honor the license but can I transport a weapon in the vehicle in mass and NY if it is unloaded and has a lock through the trigger ? Thanks

Posts: 227 | Location: dallas tx | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am neither a lawyer, nor an expert on firearm travel laws, but have done research on this as I've done a number of mulitstate road trips with guns.

Technically, yes. The best approach would be an unloaded gun in a locked container, ammo kept separate. Federal law, and some state laws, don't actually require the ammo be kept separate, but I think it's better to be prudent.

NY can be a problem, though. They have a reputation for not recognizing or respecting the federal laws on this matter. Whether or not that reputation is deserved, I can't say for sure. But personally, I would do my best to avoid traveling through NY with guns. If traveling through NY was necessary, I'd leave the guns at home.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others will share theirs.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
MA is your destination. FOPA (Firearm Owners Protection Act) covers you for transportation through the various states in between, but not once there. Your CHL means nothing, as MA honors no other state's permits. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf So you will have to find out their laws on possession and transportation of firearms by a non-resident. My guess is they won't be allowed.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egregore is spot on in his analysis. I can tell you with absolute certainty that your handgun is not welcome in Massachusetts and New York, nor are your standard capacity magazines.

The following states will file weapons charges against you, if you are caught in possession of a handgun and ammo, regardless of federal law: NY, NJ, MD, MA, CT, and Washington DC. Magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds puts you in violation of state laws. NJ & MD even have laws against hollow point ammunition.

Much of Upstate NY is gun friendly, but some of the State Police will bust you for a handgun in a heartbeat. FWIW, I did not experience any targeting when I returned to Upstate with Texas license plates. Then again, I obeyed traffic laws and both my truck & I are well known in the area I was visiting. Other Texans had mentioned targeting to me when they were doing gas line work in neighboring Pennsylvania and travelling in NY. I cannot confirm or deny these accusations.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me add a little fun fact about NY.

I have a NY Unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit. On the back of my permit is the make, model, serial number, and caliber of every handgun I own. Imagine for a moment that my P938 was replaced by Sig under warranty. If I got caught carrying the replacement pistol, I would be prosecuted for possession of an unregistered weapon.

Thus, any handgun that crosses the border in the possession of a non-NY permit holder is an unregistered weapon, by state law.

AND despite having an Unrestricted NY CCP, if I were to transport a handgun into the 5 boroughs of NYC (even secured & unloaded in a locked case), I would be prosecuted for possession.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This gives you an idea of NY laws, and this was upstate.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7420072754/p/1

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those laws in Massachusetts and New York are crazy. Im taking my son on a road trip in several weeks from Maine to Niagara Falls New York. I guess all I can legally have to defend my son and I in those states is some foul language.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have family in NH and travel to see them several times a year from VA.

I can’t avoid driving through both NY and MA so I have taken to locking the gun and ammo separately in the trunk. I also drive very conservatively through those states as well. If I were to ever get stopped I would not consent to a search. Period.

I personally believe that I am covered by federal regulations since I can carry in NH.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

...I personally believe that I am covered by federal regulations since I can carry in NH.

I agree, but some of the posts above indicate that some NY LEOs ignore the FOPA.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Transport UNLOADED firearm in a locked case, ammo separate.
I routinely go thru both NY and Massachusetts with firearms without any problems.
The sign as you enter Massachusetts about transporting guns makes your sphincter tighten.
My recommendation would be to avoid Interstate 95 - the George Washington bridge - because of tolls , congestion and rude drivers. Take the Tappan Zee across the Hudson - 20 miles north- it’s a photo toll- less congestion.
FYI- you can’t pump your own gas in New Jersey. They have attendants.
You shouldn’t have any issues with transportation of unloaded firearms. You will have issues with the inconsiderate, aggressive driving of New England drivers. Safe travels.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
So, can one carry an unloaded shotgun in a locked case with the ammo in a separate locked case through these states? Hell will freeze over before I’m ever up there, but I am curious. Thanks

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggsboy:
So, can one carry an unloaded shotgun in a locked case with the ammo in a separate locked case through these states? Hell will freeze over before I’m ever up there, but I am curious. Thanks

Yes. Just make sure your ammo is legal. For example, I do not know if Dragon's Breath shotgun shells are legal