SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    How do you handle a hug?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you handle a hug? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My wife ran into an old friend. She offered up a half hug to me with her left hand. Which meant I offered my right and leaned in for the hug right side first. Upon retracting damn if she didn't drag her hand across my everyday carry. She didn't react in any way and we continued on with the conversation. How do you handle the hug?

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, there's not much one can do. Happens to me most often at church. I try to position myself as best I can if I "see the hug coming first," but sometimes my fellow church-folk will still sneak one in on me ha-ha. I've had only person even comment when they recognized what they'd just felt.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It depends...male or female? In either case to avoid embarrassment I make sure my zipper is up. Wink

We just attended a family funeral with about 200 people in attendance. I swear everyone one of them wanted a hug. I'm not a hugger as a general rule. If one of them sensed I was carrying, none of them mentioned it. I saw no look of shock (or awe) on their faces. And probably 199 of them knew my background and that I'm always carrying, especially in the crap hole valley of the damned (metro Phoenix).

Most people wouldn't know what they just felt. Phone? Colostomy bag? Diabetes pump? Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Look right into their eyes as they extend their arms and whisper "I want you!" Big Grin

I have so much crap on my belt(TDI knife, spare mag, mini mag lite, glove pouch and gun) and really don't care if they ask questions. But YMMV.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it is usually a shorter woman you are dealing with, go low with your arms so she has to go high around your neck.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a rule I don't hug people. Frankly, I don't like to be touched unless it's my wife. If a friend wants to be physical they get a one arm ninety degree hug with my left arm.

That said, anyone who thinks they know me well enough to warrant a hug also knows I have a P229 under my shirt.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
One advantage of appendix carry, fewer people touch around your crotch.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, try to get your arms low first.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, anyone who thinks they know me well enough to warrant a hug also knows I have a P229 under my shirt.

Yeah best answer here. As a child I recall getting hugged by old relatives. Was not something I looked forward to.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
With a swift palm strike to the sternum

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll assume a conventionally belt-holstered gun here. If it looks inevitable that you're going to get hugged, be pro-active about it and hold your arms out at the level of the hugger's waist. That forces him or her to wrap their arms around you at shoulder level away from the gun.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'll assume a conventionally belt-holstered gun here. If it looks inevitable that you're going to get hugged, be pro-active about it and hold your arms out at the level of the hugger's waist. That forces him or her to wrap their arms around you at shoulder level away from the gun.

Yep, this is what I do. Started doing it after one of my wife's friends surprised me with a midriff hug before leaving one visit. I'm 6' and she's about 4'9". My carry pistol wedged up in her armpit pretty good and she looked at me funny but didn't say anything. Now I lean over with both arms low, or if I see it coming far enough away to pre-empt with a handshake or a wave, I do so.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Q0_0aeIO2Sk [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
One advantage of appendix carry, fewer people touch around your crotch.

Same with www.smartcarry.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just hug them. Don't do anything different.
Sure, people have got a feel of it, never had anyone say anything.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like me back in the mirror sun glasses days. Girl would say I don't like those glasses I can't tell where you're looking. I say if you know me that well you know where I'm looking.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, I try to get my arms low, so the "hugger's" arms go high.

Last year, though, my mom was visiting, sitting in a chair, and she just reached out and gave me a random pat (as moms do) on my lower back and her hand landed square on the grip of an FNX-9 under my shirt. I think she "knows" I carry, but didn't "know" until that moment. She looked surprised, didn't say anything, and that was it. Smile

I also carry a multi-tool at my 4:00, so usually can "explain" something lumpy and hard there just by showing it.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
No one likes me well enough to hug me except the wife...problem solved! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I hug the person, anyone who knows me well enough to want to hug me will know I'm armed.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I hug the person, anyone who knows me well enough to want to hug me will know I'm armed.

This... anybody that is hugging me knows that I am armed.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post