SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Question for women who carry (& men who want to weigh in)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for women who carry (& men who want to weigh in) Login/Join 
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted
I recently bought a S&W M&P 9mm Shield and am now trying to figure out what belt and holster combo to buy. If you have any specific recommendations in regards to the Shield that would be helpful. However, I really wanted to ask more generally...

To the women who CC (or men who want to weigh in), what do you use to carry? Also what are the challenges you face with concealment? Summer vs winter? Finding jeans with belt loops large enough?

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a Shield, but I've been completely happy with my OHC holsters for my P320 & P11.
As far as challenges, for me, it's shirts with a long enough 'tail' to keep covered. Easier in the winter with a coat/jacket, but winter is short-lived in Houston, TX.

I'll be in the same boat as you soon, as my wife will be getting her LTC in the near future.
Difference is, she rarely wears jeans. More dresses, skirts & leggings. So finding a suitable carry solution is going to be interesting with some trial & error.
Thinking about something like a belly band, or some form of thigh holster.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum! Here's some lady giving some tips. I stumbled upon this years ago while looking for something for my GF.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Deplorable_Dixie, here is my wife’s reply:

“I’ve been carrying since the mid 80s, lots of different guns over the years. Over the last 10 years or so my daily carry gun has been a Glock 26. I carry it in an inside the waistband FIST ultra-thin kydex holster. I also carry a spare mag in a comp-tac mag pouch. I only buy belts that are 1 ¼” and the holster and mag pouch match the belt width.

When I go shopping for my clothes, it is with concealed carry in mind. I have been doing so for 30 years and sometimes it is a pain, but it is just something that needs to be done. I do have a couple of other carry options for some occasions that require it – a fanny pack and a belly band.

Hope this helps”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My wife carries everyday in her right front pocket. She mostly wears jeans and hates IWB holsters.

My current Go To source for women's carry stuff is Melody Lauer

The biggest thing you want to look at is weapons access. AIWB is very concealable and very fast on the draw. But many people are not comfortable with it.

I carry a P239 in a VMII every day. I work as an appliance service tech and am squeezing behind and around appliances all day long. It's the most comfortable carry holster I've found but it would depend on your body shape if it would work well for you.

My wife is very curvy and drawing straight up from AIWB, a belly band or other front riding carry methods, she has trouble clearing her chest without pointing the gun back at herself.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the entire contents of this site, but it might have some carrying tips in it. http://corneredcat.com

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. I'm thinking about the appendix carry... I think I just need to try them on at this point.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you a thing about hiding a gun on a woman's build. You may want to google Cornered Cat. Much good info there for the ladies. Good luck and be safe. The Cornered Cat

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
My wife just got her CCW license a few weeks ago. She doesn't really like OWB or IWB, being that she rarely wears pants with belt loops. She is gonna give Dene Adams a try.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Here's a video for women on Remora IWB holsters.

The introduction is a little long, but the holster demonstration that starts after the first few minutes is very good.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
My wife just got her CCW license a few weeks ago. She doesn't really like OWB or IWB, being that she rarely wears pants with belt loops. She is gonna give Dene Adams a try.

YEP https://www.youtube.com/embed/vM6dL7HCfP8

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my PC Shield in a Remora pocket or Dara kydex owb.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For wearing on the belt I use a Richie leather cq-qr. It's a snap on the belt holster. To avoid a long wait you may be able to purchase it online from Top Gun Supply. But it's expensive.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Having a tiny wife, I am always interested in the outcome of women carry quandaries. Dix, did you get it settled for yourself?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but seems to still have life.
I carry a S&W Shield 9 about 50-60% of the time (the remainder is a M&P 9c). OWB, IWB, pocket...I've gone through them all.
For OWB: a Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0 on a 1.75" Wilderness Instructor belt. Solid.
For IWB: Most days, I simply pop the Shield into the Remora that I use for pocket carry, and call it a day. It works well.
Pocket: I've gone through quite a few, and the Remora seems to be the best fit. Guy pockets are teardrop-shaped, and the Remora is also this shape. A square holster in a sort-of-roundish pocket just doesn't work.
Running: I have a Comfort Tac neoprene belly band that is really hard to beat. Very secure.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
Having a tiny wife, I am always interested in the outcome of women carry quandaries. Dix, did you get it settled for yourself?

I actually have finally gotten everything together. Thank yall for all the input. Here's what I ended up with:

Belt: La Rue Tactical
http://www.larue.com/ranger-belt-ares-gear

Holster: Well Armed Woman's convertible OTWB
http://thewellarmedwoman.com/i...ers/twaw-owb-holster

Really love the holster. It's curved so it fits on a woman's hips more snugly. And the belt is sturdy. As far as what to wear for concealment, I'm still figuring that out, especially now it's warmer.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Stealthgear Ventcore https://stealthgearusa.com

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post