SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Holster when not carrying?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster when not carrying? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
Why do you remove your handgun from its' holster when placing them in a drawer for the day?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't store handguns in drawers. If a handgun is going into storage, the holster goes into a drawer and the gun goes into a safe.

But if you're talking about a handgun you intend to potentially use as a home defense or nightstand gun, then having it in a holster inside the drawer gains you no benefit, while adding the unnecessary step of ripping the holster off of it before getting it into action.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Long term storage of a handgun in a leather holster can get you a rusted handgun. Leather retains moisture from perspiration or even humidity in the air.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
When taking off a concealed handgun for the day, the whole holster / gun comes off and is locked up as such. Then when the combo is retrieved, the weapon is removed, the holster is put on, then the weapon is checked to be still loaded, then holstered.

I only use kydex holsters, so the leather - rust phenomenon is a non-issue

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I just leave them in a holster. I do have a Raven Vanguard that I attached a lanyard to that I put on sometimes at home since it's easier to remove in a hurry than the kydex holster.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My holster stays on my belt and pistol goes on my nightstand.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Long term storage in leather is a bad idea. I've never had an issue with a handgun, but I've inadvertently destroyed a fairly nice knife by forgetting it was in a sheath in a drawer.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My holster stays on my belt and pistol goes on my nightstand.

Exactly this. My belt is looped into my holster. I don't undo and remove my belt every time I stow my firearm. I unholster and put the gun in the safe, and the holster stays on the belt.

But then again, even if I'm changing pants or whatever, I never store my firearm in its holster. I use leather by the way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My carry pistol (M&P) is carried in an AIWB holster with an overclip and made from kydex. At the end of the day the whole package simply unclips from my belt and it placed on the top shelf of the safe all ready for the next day. No unholstering or needing to check and recheck if it's loaded.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post