SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Recommend an OH CCW Course in W/SW Ohio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend an OH CCW Course in W/SW Ohio Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Howdy guys.

I'm active duty military stationed near Indianapolis. As I'm active military I maintain state residence in Ohio, to include an OH driver's license and OH plates on my vehicles.

My OH CCW has long lapsed and I'd like to get it back. However, I'm hesitant to burn time visiting family in NE Ohio to do the training and get my permit back.

Cincinnati or Dayton, on the other hand, are close enough that I could drive out on a weekend that I'm not on a four day pass or taking leave.

Can anybody recommend a solid course, preferably one with a good legal brief? I've googled but looking for more direct feedback.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them, but you might want to check out TDI Ohio. They're a highly regarded school. I was curious, so I checked and it seems to be about a 3-4 hour drive from Indianapolis.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a guy that offers them at our club, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen's Association.

http://ccfsa.com/ccfsa-training.html

I also know a guy at my church that teaches them.

http://www.cincinnaticcw.com

I've not taken either class since I had my CHL before I knew either of them. I suspect the guy at our club probably touches on the legal issues more.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olde English Outfitters. Vandalia OH. Northern suburb of Dayton. They have a course starting 3-25. $100. Go east on I-70 out of Indy and then north on I-75. Take the first exit west to Vandalia. They have a good website. They were my favorite LGS when I lived in Dayton.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be possible for you to renew your Ohio license without retaking the training course. Your expired license may be acceptable for proof of competence.Check out the license renewal section on pages 9 and 10 in the concealed carry laws manual. The last paragraph deals with armed service members.

link:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral...aws-Manual-%28PDF%29

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
Check out VRA-Ohio.com they have really nice range in Vandalia Ohio and New Castle Indiana. My nephew and his wife got their CCW there and were impressed. Also Old English has a bit of a "If you're not in our club you're not wanted" attitude. (My opinion).

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Firepower Arms in Mason Ohio. Ask for Chris. He used to run three gun out of the Clinton Sportsmen's Association mentioned earlier, and still teaches one-on-one classes through Firepower itself. Great guy and retired cop. He's only one of two people I would send anyone to. I know him personally have taken rifle class from in the past.
http://firepowerllc.com/

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am near Lima Ohio and we have a couple guys who are NRA certified and do a very good job.
They are reasonable and the shooting is done at a local gun club.
If interested email or IM me.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohsheepdog:
Call Firepower Arms in Mason Ohio. Ask for Chris. He used to run three gun out of the Clinton Sportsmen's Association mentioned earlier, and still teaches one-on-one classes through Firepower itself. Great guy and retired cop. He's only one of two people I would send anyone to. I know him personally have taken rifle class from in the past.
http://firepowerllc.com/

Has he expanded his hours?
Always seem to be closed when I happen to be up there.

www.22three.com in Lebanon is a good place as well. That is where I sent my Mom.
The owner there was one of my college professors.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Tactical Defense Institute does a first rate job.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but any update Rob?

It is indeed true that you can use your expired CHL as prima facie evidence of having passed a course. I renewed in Portage county with a license that was nine years expired. No questions asked. Reserved my appointment, walked out with a new license.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Loads of information in here guys. Thank you!

I have my old license, and may well present it in Summitt County. However, I'm very interested in getting into a class with a strong legal portion, as I've not lived full time in Ohio since 2010, and I'm aware there have been significant changes to the law.

The job got busy again so it'll be a little while before I get to head to a course, but I'll keep you posted!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
If you reside in a county adjacent to Portage, GO THERE! They actually seemed happy to help me. No issues at all.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a NRA training course here I feel comfortable in recommending http://www.madduckttc.net/ as a possible place to check out.

--
Mike

The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -- Unknown

NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle and Personal Protection Instructor

Posts: 14 | Location: Westerville, Ohio | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RT2arm is a good place, it’s in liberty twp. Near Middletown. Owner was a marine MP and is a really good and laid back guy. He’s also the best shop to go to around price wise and also to look. Mostly just keeps the cool stuff in his store. Doesn’t bother much with the cheap shit. Also has a sim trainer system in the basement if you want to do scenarios or shoot zombies

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post