SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Sad delivery from Milt Sparks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sad delivery from Milt Sparks Login/Join 
posted
Owned several summer specials over my 60+ years. They were the go to holster. Then Milt Passed. And quality with him.

18 week wait for a SSII for a Sig 229R. Gun drops out. NO tension at all. Made for a 40 perhaps. Had to order by telephone, so I guess maybe that should be a question if you have 2 fits?

AND they are arrogant about it.

Should have ordered a Grizzle.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. In mitigation, I've only had positive experiences with Milt Sparks; a SSI for my 220 since '96, a number of SSIIs (ordered from Brownell's, usually in stock for quick delivery) I gifted over the years primarily for newbies issued Glocks, and more recently the Nexus for a Glock 26 (authorized duty EDC)and for my personal off-duty 220 Carry.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will work with the SSII, but I know with the VM2 I just got for my Shield, it was a little loose too. The VM2 has a metal ring around the mouth of the holster to keep the holster open for re-holstering. I just squeezed this a little to put more tension on the pistol and it worked well.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it could be manhandled somehow, but my disappointment is with the 18 week wait, $100+.
Always expect a tight fit and it will loosen. There own sight says better too tight than too loose.
Sent it back today with a note. Didn't even call. Tired of that we know everything and you don't attitude.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Too many quality holster makers to pay too much and wait too long.
Plenty of used stuff pops up here that are great values too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Too many quality holster makers to pay too much and wait too long.
Plenty of used stuff pops up here that are great values too.

This is true, I bought a very lightly used OWB Country Boy in the classifieds here for a great price.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Owned several summer specials over my 60+ years. They were the go to holster. Then Milt Passed. And quality with him.

18 week wait for a SSII for a Sig 229R. Gun drops out. NO tension at all. Made for a 40 perhaps. Had to order by telephone, so I guess maybe that should be a question if you have 2 fits?

AND they are arrogant about it.

Should have ordered a Grizzle.

I understand this same question comes up with P320. I inquired of a vendor about some MS holsters he had in stock for P320 and he said they were all for 9mm.

I asked about the difference and there is a variation I the height and width of the slides between 9mm, .40/.357 and 45ACP. The vendor had notified Sparks of the issue. I assume they didn't realize it.

For other holsters I've had vendors indicate certain holsters were not made for .40/.357 or 45ACP because they carried too high and the weight of the gun was an issue. This was usually with a particular style of holster.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about the OP’s experience. I just received my fourth Criterion, and it is finest model holster I ever have used. I have never had any QC issue with a Sparks holster, and I am going back to the 1980s here. They also are very responsive to questions on their Facebook page. I am not doubting the OP's experience, but it sounds like an anomaly to me.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne:
I am sorry to hear about the OP’s experience. I just received my fourth Criterion, and it is finest model holster I ever have used. I have never had any QC issue with a Sparks holster, and I am going back to the 1980s here. They also are very responsive to questions on their Facebook page. I am not doubting the OP's experience, but it sounds like an anomaly to me.

I agree. Milt retired many years ago. Tom Kanaley took over and did a fine job turning out stunning holsters. I’ve ordered many Executive Companion and Summer Specials from the “post-Milt” company and have never been disappointed.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they handled the return and credit without issue.
That's a plus for them.
At one time, I had a SS for every gun I had.

posted Hide Post
Own several Milt Sparks and never had any issue.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I received a 55BN a couple of weeks ago and it was beautiful. I liked it so much I ordered a VMII which I will inpect when I get back home in a few days. My 1911s get leather and so far Sparks has not disappointed.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have heard A LOT of good things about Grizzle. Another good one is Tucker Gun Leather. I picked up his paddle holster. Great quality and superb customer service too.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been buying from Tony and the Crew since 2002. Many holsters and mag carriers. NEVER had a single problem. My DW CCO .45 ACP has both a Nexus and two Axioms and four mag carriers. Perfect! Four belts, excellent workmanship. Glock 19 has an NLG OWB, twelve years old plus mag carriers. Excellent. Plus multiple holsters for pistols no longer own and have sold. All were made to exacting specs. Milt Sparks rocks!

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying holsters made by Milt Sparks Leather since the mid-1970's and never had a problem with them. Tony is a great guy to do business with and if you're dissatisfied, I'd highly suggest you call him to work things out. I know that good customer relations means a lot to the whole crew.

These days I usually carry a Walther PPS M2 in a Summer Special 2 IWB. Its well made, fits the pistol perfectly, and is supremely comfortable.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a few from Grizzle, and at least one that was customized past just gun fit (its in the gallery for a P320). All are well worn, still retain 100% fit & function, and in great condition. All, to my eyes, are pieces of very fine craft work (I know stitching pretty wellSmile)

I know everyone has their opinions. I'm sure Milt Sparks is also a great maker. I'm a Grizzle customer for life. They are as good as it gets.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Compactsig
posted Hide Post
Got 5 of 'em, all great!

Posts: 101 | Location: Treasure Coast, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a TT Gunleather holster, it is very excellent. Recently I received a holster from Grizzle, and am extremely impressed. There are other options if Milt Sparks does not work out.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Well, they handled the return and credit without issue.
That's a plus for them.
At one time, I had a SS for every gun I had.

Did you order another or go with a different holster maker?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Black Hills Leather makes an excellent product.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post