SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Rafter S Belt Anyone Who Had/Has One Please Step In
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rafter S Belt Anyone Who Had/Has One Please Step In Login/Join 
Picture of Knezz
posted
I have a Rafter S Belt that I purchased almost a decade ago. I know the company went out of business due to a divorce. The wife got the business and died - I think a car accident. Some people were stiffed because of this. The husband was trying to make good on all outstanding orders. I don't know how that turned out.

My question:
Who out there owed a Rafter S belt and has another maker that is comparable? My belt is black and has pebble type leather. I don't remember what it is called. It is still going strong. I wear it all the time when I have jeans on. It is my go to - whether I'm carrying or not.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Your belt is probably shark skin. I have four Rafter S belts, two shark skin and two not. I don't have a recommendation for an alternative as mine are still going strong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want regular leather, look at A&G: http://agcustomgunleather.com/

I have two Rafters belts (one in regular leather and another in shark). I personally think the A&G is a better, dressier belt.

Also take a look at Armour belts. They go well with jeans and really stiff.

Posts: 170 | Location: IL | Registered: February 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You're belt is probably shark skin. I have four Rafter S belts, two shark skin and two not. I don't have a recommendation for an alternative as mine are still going strong.

That's right.. the brain kicked in.. Shark skin.. Thx. I wear it quite a bit ~ over a decade and it still looks great.. Too bad they closed up. Sad story.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I love my Rafter S sharkskin belt. It's also about 10 years old and much better quality than any of my other gun belts.

It a shame they aren't available anymore.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikedare
posted Hide Post
Knezz, take a look at our site and if we can help you just let me know. Lots of good makers out there.

Posts: 171 | Location: Ludington MI | Registered: May 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
I love my Rafter S sharkskin belt. It's also about 10 years old and much better quality than any of my other gun belts.

It a shame they aren't available anymore.

That's the belt. What size is it? How much for shipping?

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================

Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knezz:
That's the belt. What size is it? How much for shipping?

The belt is my size Big Grin and shipping is unaffordable Wink.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:

My question:
Who out there owed a Rafter S belt and has another maker that is comparable? My belt is black and has pebble type leather. I don't remember what it is called. It is still going strong. I wear it all the time when I have jeans on. It is my go to - whether I'm carrying or not.

Any suggestions?

I think I've had my Rafter S for around 10 years.

I replaced it with the Armour belt about a month ago and so far am very pleased. If anything the Armour is stiffer than the Rafter was when new.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikedare:
Knezz, take a look at our site and if we can help you just let me know. Lots of good makers out there.

Thanks.. I'll take a look.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================

posted Hide Post
Mike at Armour Belts made me a custom stingray ranger belt that feels indestructible.

It was made April of 2015, I wear it often and it looks and feels brand new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig2392,

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A "pebbly" finish sounds like elephant hide. Here's my Rafter S set in "Honey" colored elephant for a P245.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I bought one back in 2006. Customer service sucked but the belt was good for those days. These days, if they were still around, I certainly wouldn't buy from them.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I bought one back in 2006. Customer service sucked but the belt was good for those days. These days, if they were still around, I certainly wouldn't buy from them.

Why wouldn't you buy from them again? Is it just because of your customer service experience or did you find a better belt. If you found a better belt, what is it?

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I had a full set, black shark, 1911 IWB, and double carrier,

Rafter was building them for Wilson Combat. I sold the whole shebang to a member here maybe four years ago. I had not even worn them.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have a brown Sharkskin. Bought it in 2005 or 2006. Looks as good as new. I think they made the best looking rigs I've ever seen, to this day. A shame about their end.

If anyone knows of another place making exotic leathers as good or better than Rafter S, please let me know.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a black cowhide belt that I bought from them. I've worn it pretty much every day for the past 10+ years, and while it has faded a bit in the area where it rubs my holster, it is still structurally sound and looks pretty darn good for the use it has endured. It's a shame what happened there...if they were still around, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while but you can check out The Beltman assuming he's still in business.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikedare:

This right here. Have 2 of Mike's belts and couldn't be happier.
Thick, stiff leather that'll hold a cinder block on your waist with ease.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
I believe Rafter S is now called West Plains Gun Leather.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post