SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    IWB & OWB Holsters w/a suit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IWB & OWB Holsters w/a suit Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone recommend a good tuckable IWB holster that will work with a 1" belt and preferably use something like c-clips?

I have 3 Comp-tac M-tacs, but they don't have any 1" clips available.
Ease of taking on/off quickly is also a plus.

Also, what's the thinnest OWB paddle holster on the market (preferably leather)? I really like the Aker Tactical but it holds the gun out a bit far to the side and somewhat high as well.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My full-detail Mitch Rosen 5JR full belt slide holster is thin, and keeps the pistol butt close to my body. But with a suit I like my Alessi Bodyguard horizontal shoulder rig better. Especially if I'm driving.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Contact Garret Industries. They have several IWB options but more importantly, I'm pretty sure they will work with you on the clip size. I get some of my clips from them and they've been very accommodating on the times I've needed something non-standard.

https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/361.htm

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For suit I like Desantis 001 OWB but I have used Alien Gear IWB tucked and it works well.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Good, tuckable IWB holster ..." I see an oxymoron here.

The best, tuckable IWB I've used is a Blade-Tech UCH, which I purchased to use until my Sparks VM2 arrived. Unlike the VM2, the UCH can be tucked, even concealed to a considerable degree. Best of all, there's no wait and it doesn't cost very much.

If you're wearing a suit jacket, I doubt you need a tuckable holster, or even an IWB. It is hard enough to draw from a tucked holster, and nearly impossible when wearing a coat.

I second the notion of a shoulder holster, like the Alessi Bodyguard. I can conceal mine under even a light jacket or vest, and it's easy to reach while driving.

When wearing a suit, business casual or even jeans, I carry a Springfield XDs in a pocket holster.

A belt-snap OwB holster is a lot easier to put on and take off than a paddle holster, and holds the butt just as tightly to your side as an ordinary pancake variety. I have one good paddle holster for a P220, nearly unused for those reasons.

Posts: 1674 | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I wear a Tommy Theis IWB under my suit jacket all the time. I use J clips.
You could get some clips like you prefer and add them to the holster you already own?

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks VM2 is tuckable with kydex clip option.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

Posts: 369 | Registered: April 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
There are some rare occasions where I absolutely need to use a "tuckable" holster, and then I use a G-Code INCOG Eclipse. Though I am doing that out of absolute necessity, as "tucking" really compromises the ability to get the gun into action.

However, if you wear the gun at the strong side hip ("3 or 9 o'clock") or just slightly behind, you should be able to keep a good IWB holster and gun concealed with the suit jacket. Obviously this works best when you have a dark colored suit, and a dark gun and holster.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neumann:
"Good, tuckable IWB holster ..." I see an oxymoron here.

The best, tuckable IWB I've used is a Blade-Tech UCH, which I purchased to use until my Sparks VM2 arrived. Unlike the VM2, the UCH can be tucked, even concealed to a considerable degree. Best of all, there's no wait and it doesn't cost very much.

Sadly they no longer make the UCH.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't wear suits that often and I have never carried and worn a suit because I was concerned about concealment. Many here claim that they carry owb with a suit. I assume that they are talking about with their jacket unbuttoned. I just can't imagine a buttoned jacket not printing that gun for all to see. Am I off based or are you getting the jacket made larger to help with concealment.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hask12:
. . . or are you getting the jacket made larger to help with concealment.
Whether carrying IWB, or OWB, you should get the suit tailored properly, including fitting for the gun.

I also recommended having the lining reinforced, so the rear sight doesn't tear up the jacket from the inside. I learned that as a rookie suiting up to swear out warrants, and go to court, etc, and tore up a few suit jackets.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1" belt? What are you carrying?

Like someone said, have the suit tailored around the handgun. All of mine are and have an extra layer of lining where the handgun rubs.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A one-inch belt? I've never heard of a purpose-built gun belt that narrow. Several belt makers offer 1¼" or 1½" belts that taper to one inch at the ends. Clips are generally sized 1½", so this would be snug on the wider belt and acceptable for the narrower. If the belt loops only accommodate one-inch belts, they'd have to be replaced.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Belt and braces might be a good idea, though a bit of a faux pas.

I have a nice leather sport coat I usually wear for carry when I need a tie.. I just pocket carry if I need a suit

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Maybe replace your OEM clips with these?
https://www.ulticlip.com/

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Consider a shoulder holster instead. Galco classic lite has worked well for me in this regard.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Consider a shoulder holster instead. Galco classic lite has worked well for me in this regard.

With a suit, I like shoulder rigs too. Especially if I'm driving. Mine is an Alessi Bodyguard (horizontal). Very happy with it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garrett doesn't have C-clips at all any more. When I acquired my first holster from them, they still had them displayed on some holsters. I asked, and they said that they didn't have them any more. They eventually removed most of the pictures. The narrowest belt they support for a slim-line clip is 1.25".

I've used the Comp-Tac C-clips on several holsters of other manufacturers, including Garrett. Their narrowest belt support is also 1.25".

As this will usually result in only one screw per mount, I'd recommend using something like Loctite to keep it from backing out.

One other possible solution - use a V-clip - you'll need to have some Velcro installed on the back of the belt.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spacedogxo:
Milt Sparks VM2 is tuckable with kydex clip option.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

^^^^^This.

Note that the MS VM2 clips do NOT clip onto the belt, rather, they clip onto the waistband of your pants. Thus the width of the belt really does not matter so long as it is a good (no-stretch) belt.

I use a MS VM2 daily. Most weekdays I'm in blue jeans and work shirts. On Sundays, though, I'm in a suit with a white shirt and tie. The MS VM2 transfers from work clothes to church suit quickly and easily without a problem, takes maybe 30 seconds to move it from one pair of pants to another. I recommend it to you without reservation.

I carry a P229 in mine.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post