Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poldark quotes Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I started watching the new version of Poldark; good story of a man with integrity. Some good quotes to live by; here is one that struck me. A response to a merchant (corrupt, unethical that some would describe as monopolistic capitalist) when questioned if Poldark dislikes him so because they dug themselves from poverty to 'gentility.'

Poverty doesn't offend me. Neither does aspiration. But you are mistaken if you believe greed and exploitation are the marks of a gentleman.

These days, it seems you have plenty who aspire to be rich, some who aspire to be humane, but rare is one who is rich and humane.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“A nice frame doesn’t make a nice picture.”

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Isn't that Poldark just dreamy?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Are you trying to tell us something?? Big Grin

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I watched most of the first season and then dropped it for some reason,

thinking life got in the way,

thanks for posting this, now I'll have to remind the wife and we will start over again,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

have you watched Being Human??

the
UK show, not the US version

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I watched most of the first season and then dropped it for some reason,

thinking life got in the way,

thanks for posting this, now I'll have to remind the wife and we will start over again,

So far I enjoy the character development of the Ross and Demelza characters, more so the latter. I like Ross' generally strong tendency for principle and integrity, even in the face of death although recent episodes suggests that there is a weakness in his armor rooted in his past. It would be disappointing to have that weakness break through his shield of integrity. Despite her past, I like Demelza's outlook, courage and devotion. Another person of principle despite everything.

As usual with dramas, I'm annoyed at how repeatedly the good suffer while the evil get stronger. I hate how the good lose every battle and just squeak by being eliminated. Let the good convincingly win a battle now and again.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the classic(?) thus far.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My wife and I watched the first season, and we joked about how handsome Poldark is and his tendency to ride along windswept Cornish cliffs in billowy shirts, with his hair blowing romantically in the wind.

We haven't watched it lately. You can probably guess that we found it a bit too romance novel-esque.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My wife and I watched the first season, and we joked about how handsome Poldark is and his tendency to ride along windswept Cornish cliffs in billowy shirts, with his hair blowing romantically in the wind.

We haven't watched it lately. You can probably guess that we found it a bit too romance novel-esque.

For sure. I know of the title originally from back in the 70s when my Mom read the books.

And then when I saw it was recently re-done I mentioned it to my wife thinking she might enjoy that kind of romance drama.

It sounds like a decent story-line but definitely made for that audience.

-----------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Starting to tire of the story:

1) the fight with the evil idiot and his uncle is getting tiresome. Including the repeated last minute, somewhat incredulous saves from death.

2) the use of the cove is unbecoming, despite the benefit to the poor

3) the substantial amount of money paid by Caroline to Ross' benefit is not believable of the character nor the relationship nor the reasoning.

4) I really hate the idiot character and Elizabeth. I'm skipping over any scenes with them.

Not sure if I'll continue; but for Demelza, I'd have stopped now.

posted Hide Post
Appreciate the heads up on Season 2.

My wife is enjoying it.

---------------------------

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Wife and I really enjoy the series. It is a neat series that takes you back to a time when people survived with so little and were so happy with what they had. I often times think of the beautiful country and how it would have been to live in those times. Waiting for season-3!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's why I started the series. Integrity. Honor. Pride in working working hard. Happy with what you had.

Ross had those qualities at the beginning - I see erosion through S2.

Demelza has exemplified those qualities so far.

Dr Ensys exhibits them and seems like a good character. Francis towards his end.

I think this could have been a great series but for the inclusion of Warleggan and Elizabeth type characters.

Just make the theme Man vs Nature / Challenges of living off the land. I hate the stupid corrupt newly rich story line. I watch this to escape, not to see it mimic every day life in these parts.