SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help me with music to fall asleep to (Update: Robert Miles Dreamland it is!!)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me with music to fall asleep to (Update: Robert Miles Dreamland it is!!) Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
George Winston

His album entitled Autumn is a favorite of mine. No vocals, though, which the OP likes.

Most, if not all, of the early Windham Hill stuff was instrumental.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Sorry to keep posting here, but I can't believe I forgot Brian Eno's ambient music albums -- also a go-to:

Apollo: Atmospheres

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...E07E26C69C&FORM=VIRE

Music for Airports

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...3E8376BF00&FORM=VIRE

etc.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
All good stuff thanks folks. It'll take me awhile to try it all out but the options are getting much deeper which is good.

Robert Miles Dreamland album is one I forgot all about and remembered while going thru the suggestions.
Probably going to give it a go tonight for sleep but it is such a good album it may keep me awake focusing on it which is a problem I run into. If I really really enjoy the music I focus on it and it keeps me up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Dave Koz - The Dance

I used to play that at bed time, on repeat at low volume. That made a hyper active autistic kid lay right down, close his eyes and fall asleep in 4 minutes. Worked on me, too.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to use Nat King Cole, on ever so softly.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have never slept well. Recently I have been listening to documentaries or interviews on my iPad through youtube. I've been following some outdoors people mostly climbing and hiking or docs on military stuff. Lots of WWII stuff on different planes, tanks, and other equipment.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
No vocals but I sleep to "3rd force" new age jazz on Spotify.

Check out the band "Iona" fits your requirements.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
All good stuff thanks folks. It'll take me awhile to try it all out but the options are getting much deeper which is good.

Probably going to give it a go tonight for sleep but it is such a good album it may keep me awake focusing on it which is a problem I run into. If I really really enjoy the music I focus on it and it keeps me up.

I have the same problem. That is why I use binaural beats with out music. I like all kinds of music and I can't use it for sleep because I listen to the music, chord structure/progression, melody, intervals, etc. I can't sleep with all of that going on in my brain.

Wishing you a restful eve,

Bassman

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
This is something of a broad spectrum of music, but given what you said you were interested in, I thought these might fit the bill. The listing are by Group - Album - Song Title.

The musical genres you might want to search for: Trance, Ambient, Dream Pop, Darkwave, World (Music), Electronic, Electronic Dance Music, Goth.

Love Spirals Downwards
Love Spirals Downwards - Idylls - Illusory Me

Love Spirals Downwards - Idylls - Love's Labour's Lost

Love Spirals Downwards - Idylls - Ladonna Dissima

Love Spirals Downwards - Ardor - Sidhe

Love Spirals Downwards - Flux - City Moon

Delerium
Delerium - Karma - Silence

Delerium - Nuages Du Monde - Angelicus

Delerium - Poem - Aria

Delerium - Chimera - After All

Delerium - Poem - Underwater

Dead Can Dance
Dead Can Dance - Towards the Within - Sanvean

Dead Can Dance - Aion - Song Of The Sibyl

Dead Can Dance - Crescent

Dead Can Dance - Anastasis - Anabasis

Everything But The Girl
Everything But The Girl - Missing (Todd Terry's Club Mix)

Everything But The Girl - Missing (Original)

Mazzy Star
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly - Halah

Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly - Ride It On

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See - Fade Into You

Since you mentioned Classical, I threw the Tallis Scholars in. It's Religious Choral Music, all a cappella. They have an extensive catalog, going back to the 1970's.

Tallis Scholars
Tallis Scholars - Allegri: Miserere

ETA: I just ran across this video. I used to really like them and they somewhat fit.

Switchblade Symphony - Wallflower

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
And if you like Mazzy Star (I love it, and Hope Sandoval's voice in general), the girl who did the songs for True Detective season 2 is real similar (Lera Lynn), and the Jesus and Mary Chain + Hope Sandoval duet track entitled Sometimes Always is pretty great, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Tibetan singing bowl music
Specifically "33 Bowls"
Found it on Amazon
Between Tibetan singing bowls and binaural beats, you should find some good zzzzzzzzz

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Robert Miles Dreamland has been doing great this week. Falling asleep very quickly and staying there until the 4 y/o comes and wakes me up. Put him back down and fall asleep quickly again.
Going to keep all the suggestions from this thread if it wears off.

Not sure why but have been having very vivid and pleasant dreams (no, not those kind) since falling asleep to the tunes instead of the TV.

————————————————

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Not the genre you mention in your OP, but I've been listening to Norah Jones lately while trying to relax and get back pain off my mind.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream Album. Turn off shuffle and start at Disarm. I never make it past mayonnaise .

Good lord wth?! Big Grin Love this album but never tried to sleep to it. Might have to try it.

If you are playing music to sleep - try Sade Love Deluxe or Mazzy Star "So Tonight That I Might See" - I should probably go dig them up now as I can't sleep.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Robert Miles is stacking up some cash from Amazon!
Still listening to it to fall asleep and it is awesome. I have not slept this well in a very long time. I am not positive it is that I am sleeeping better as the TV is not constantly flashing light at me all night or Robert Miles Dreamland is the perfect name for the album.
Certainly sleeeping way better and a deeper sleep having some very vivid dreams.

————————————————

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Black92LX,
Glad you found something that works for you.

I just thought of the following, in case you want some diversity.

These are from a sampler/compilation album put out by the record label 4AD. The entire playlist for the album is at the bottom.

Dif Juz - No Motion

Cocteau Twins - Crushed

Dead Can Dance - Protagonist

This Mortal Coil - Acid, Bitter & Sad

Lonely Is An Eyesore - 4AD Compilation

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't thought of Robert Miles in ages. Children was pretty yuge back when new.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I haven't thought of Robert Miles in ages. Children was pretty yuge back when new.

I hadn't either until I started this thread. Not even sure why it popped into my head it had been so long since hearing it.

I kind of thought it would wear off helping sleep but so far it hasn't. If it does this thread also has some great suggestions so I'll be good for awhile.

————————————————

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post