SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help me with music to fall asleep to (Update: Robert Miles Dreamland it is!!)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me with music to fall asleep to (Update: Robert Miles Dreamland it is!!) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have to have the television on to fall asleep always have since I was little. Well now I am old or just a lighter sleeper but I find myself waking more frequently and I think it is from the light changes (though I have the picture setting quite dark and the blues removed).
I am trying to fall asleep to music. Though it seems I need a pretty specific type. There has to be vocals, it has to be somewhat up beat, and stay in a higher octive.
A huge help if it is on Amazon Prime music as I have that little bedroom spy echo dot thing I use for tunes.
So far the best I have come across is

Owl City
The Postal Service
Snow Patrol

Deas Vail is really good too put it is only on the paid upgrade of Amazon.
Deas Vail

Enya and Enigma have some good ones but they tend to get into the lower octaves much more.

It is weird as these samples are nothing like music that I normally listen to which ranges from lots of country to heavy heavy rock like Five Finger Death Punch. I really enjoy Classical music and that did wonders when I was in High School and College and needed study music. Classical was the first I tried out and it did not help me fall asleep.

The ones I have listed give me almost a trance like feeling laying in the dark listening to them almost like I am floating or weightless and no alcohol or other mind altering substance has been used.

I don't even know what one calls this genre of music to really search for more of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I feel for you as I am not the best sleeper. Have you tried white noise or nature sounds maybe crickets?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I feel for you as I am not the best sleeper. Have you tried white noise or nature sounds maybe crickets?

Not tried the crickets but white noise must sound like water to me in my sleep as I seem to have to get up and pee a couple times the times I tried it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I don't even know what one calls this genre of music to really search for more of it.

Indie rock in the most general sense, but it sounds like you like the electronica instrument sounds, so maybe I'd say somewhere in the chillwave/synthwave/indietronica area?

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone app that plays numerous nature sounds ranging from water, to crickets, to fire etc. works well for me.

Electronica music works as well but the whole other person in bed thing is a pesky nightly problem. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I can never sleep. Been that way since I was a kid. I need to be physically exhausted to sleep.

Tried music, it worked sometimes. What worked better was listening to a mildly boring podcast.

My go to now is setting my iPad to reverse contrast (mostly black) and reading until I fall asleep. A shot of Zquil helps too.

I wish I was like my wife who has the talent of closing her eyes and sleeping. My mind is just too active.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You might try this.

Delta Sleep System

No vocals though.

I have always had to have some kind of music on when I went to bed, ever since I was a child. About fifteen years ago I went through a stage of insomnia where I just could not get to sleep and when I finally did I'd wake up every hour or so and never get any good rest. I tried just about everything to remedy the situation and nothing worked. One night, when I couldn't sleep, I was wandering through a Borders Bookstore and came across one of these CDs and thought, "What the hell." I figured if it didn't work I was only out $10.

Every night since that night I've played these (I rotate through three different ones) and I've yet to hear the end of them. They work for me.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Listening to those bands you've listed (and reading your criteria) brings to mind Dashboard Confessional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwLzuOMpkFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j82FBbgpUy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcgwuZZsTc

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Certainly not every track by these, but off the top of my head, try these artists:

Death Cab for Cutie
The Shins
Broken Bells
Portugal the Man
Iron & Wine
Florence and the Machine
Mumford and Sons
some The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order
Haelos (like the track Dust)

Also, plug any of the songs you like of this sort into Pandora as a new "Station" and mine it for similar suggestions. It's very good at this...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Not tried the crickets but white noise must sound like water to me in my sleep as I seem to have to get up and pee a couple times the times I tried it.

I guess I won't recommend the sound that I like to fall asleep to: the sound of waves crashing on the beach. It's got that rythmic but a bit random timing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A fan.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream Album. Turn off shuffle and start at Disarm. I never make it past mayonnaise .

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the local oldies rock station (60s era). Hits most of your criteria and is actual music, instead of angry yelling. YMMV.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I prefer the sound track from Amadeus, second on the list is a news station out of Las Angeles - knx1070 am.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I put together some albums/songs targeted towards sleep awhile back through amazon that included all three LOTR soundtracks, and the Gladiator soundtrack. I think I also included Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing, which to me is a really good album, but somehow very favorable to sleep.

I also used to find putting on a very familiar movie helped me fall asleep. I'd not even try to watch it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
Black, Gustopher is on the right track. Look into Binaural beats. Binaural beats for sleep are super low (3-4 hz). Human hearing can only go as low as 20 hz if your hearing is good. To solve this problem, two pitches (within human hearing range) are placed in each ear at 3-4 hz apart. This tricks the brain into hearing a 3-4 hz binaural beat even though the pitches are higher than 20 hz . It kind of sounds like a slow wobbling effect. You must use headphones. You can find just the wave form or the wave form can be embedded into music. Based on your op, I would think the binaural beats embedded in music would be best. Check YouTube for them. Google other info regarding binaural beats.

There are different levels of binaural beats for things such as pain control, concentration, etc.

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
My go-to is the Windham Hill Sampler '84. The Windham Hill label unfortunately got caught up with "New Age" music, but it actually featured(s) incredibly talented musicians like Michael Hedges, who unfortunately died young in a car wreck, and George Winston. There are a number of "samplers" for various years, from which you can draw other musicians/tracks.

I also find Cocteau Twins very ruminative, but all of these may be a product of time and place for me, i.e., relaxing because it brings me back to a very good time in my life.

Sample '84: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...wr3uZhshghc2-16T66_).

Michael Hedges, Aerial Boundaries: https://www.bing.com/videos/se...D0958DB9E4&FORM=VIRE

George Winston, December: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OXjl_xqQ8&list=PLH8F749pX4cXSmwr3uZhshghc2-16T66_).

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Eric Serra s The big blue OST is great, some other of his soundtracks as well. There's spexifically another sea related but Messenger could also do the trick.
Big blue definitely a winner

G Winston for the win and try early Pat Methemy Group albums

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
George Winston

His album entitled Autumn is a favorite of mine. No vocals, though, which the OP likes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post