SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “The Gift Of Fear” by Gavin De Becker.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“The Gift Of Fear” by Gavin De Becker. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Has anyone else read it? I’m 1/4 or so through it and it’s been a very informative read. A lot of good information, some of it maybe we’ll known but not fully thought about by many. So far it’s been a reinforcement of if it seems hinky, it probably is and do not ignore it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Short version, trust your instincts.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've not read it, but I heard about it via this podcast interview of De Becker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9OpbJXOHA

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read it. Lots of good information.

For something similar, you can also check out Left of Bang, by Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley. It's about applying techniques from the USMC Combat Hunter program for assessing your environment for threats, i.e. how to read people, observe behavior patterns, etc.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a great book, but it is way more important all the women in your life read it. Left of Bang is also excellent.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Should be required reading for anybody who CCWs.

Along with "On Combat."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21843 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the book. Loaned it out to some of the women I work with. One of the VP's said she would make it required reading for her staff.

Gavin has been accused of being anti-gun.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

Gavin has been accused of being anti-gun.

Yeah, he has a CA elitist vibe goin' on that subject IMO. That doesn't take away from the value of his core expertise and message though.

Agreed "On Combat" is a great read a well for when things go south that couldn't be avoided.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A member here that I shamefully can’t remember gave me this book. It’s very good. A lot is common sense..but we ignore common sense it seems.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
It's a fast read. Enjoyed it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post