SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
And the best actor of our time, and I get flack for this, is Leonardo DiCaprio.

No flack from me. I've enjoyed his work in many things, but his part in The Departed sealed the deal for me. He's a good one.

I think he’s great. Many others do too. He’s not underrated

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Philip Seymour Hoffman has played some great roles during his time on this earth.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:
Philip Seymour Hoffman has played some great roles during his time on this earth.

Not underrated though.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pick is Bill Nighy. He has a wide range of character portrayals, from a powerful vampire in Underworld, to a sniveling officer in Valkyrie and even does some mild comedy in Sean of the Dead and others. He plays many rolls well.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
John Cazale.

Never nominated for an Oscar, always overshadowed by guys like Pacino, DeNiro and Brando. But the man was a brilliant actor. The few movies he appeared in are all some of the best American films in history.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Alan Rickman

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Alan Rickman

I totally didn’t think of him. He had so many great parts and I still get a little choked up during the last Harry Potter movie when we find out his whole story. Plus he was funny in Dogma.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely Alan Rickman. Great choice.

Up until recently, I would have said Gary Oldman. His Oscar win this year was a long time coming.

Currently, I'll say Tom Hardy. While he's best known for blockbuster films like Mad Max and Dark Knight Rises, his acting in less well-known films like Bronson, Legend, and Locke is especially outstanding.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Guy Pearce

I thought he was very good in LA Confidential and terrific in Memento. But, he doesn't seem to show up in many well-known films since then.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jake Gyllenhaal is going places. He did quite a nice job in Nightcrawler playing off Renee Russo. He seems to be embracing quieter character pieces and his quality acting is apparent.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Guy Pearce

I thought he was very good in LA Confidential and terrific in Memento. But, he doesn't seem to show up in many well-known films since then.

Agreed

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Up until recently, I would have said Gary Oldman

First name that came to mind for me.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Brian Cox is a great actor who doesn't get much press.

Guy Pearce is good, as well... plays a great sleazeball.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Several good names already mentioned, here are two that have not yet been mentioned.

Lance Henriksen

Cillian Murphy

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Jake Gyllenhaal is going places. He did quite a nice job in Nightcrawler playing off Renee Russo. He seems to be embracing quieter character pieces and his quality acting is apparent.

He is definitely pursuing challenging roles and staying away from the bullshit. Every role he has been in recently is a hard to play character, serious film/story. Bale is back this methodology as well after the Batman trilogy. His weight has been up and down for recent roles. He also has the talent of picking excellent roles for the most part. He flat turned down the new Batman/Justice Leavue stuff. And that’s basically turning down millions in favor of more serious roles that don’t pay like blockbusters.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised this guy's name hasn't come up yet.

J.K. Simmons

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Howard Stern

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Kenneth Branagh. I don’t follow the oscars etc but I’ve always liked this actor. According to IMDb He gets nominated a lot but never wins. I’ve enjoyed just about everything I’ve seen him in. So I think he’s underrated.

He's one of those guys who everyone knows is good, but is rarely the leading man or in huge films, so he gets overlooked for the big awards.

Andre Braugher, who was Frank Pembleton in "Homicide - Life on the Streets." His career never took off, but he is almost always excellent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
At this point, I’d say Tom Hardy.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post