SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
This is the person who is, or has been, in many movies (the silver screen) yet never seems to receive the recognition (either from the Academy or public popularity) who YOU feel he/she deserves.

Who is that person for you?

For me; that person is probably Don Cheadle. Sure, he was good in the Ocean's movies but Hotel Rwanda - awesome (IMO).

A close second for me is Robin Williams. Though he did get a lot of recognition (Good Morning Vietnam, Jumanji, and Mrs. Doubtfire to name a few), he is one of the few actors whom I have liked in EVERY movie character I have seen him perform.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walton Goggins
He doesn’t get a lot of big movie roles but when he does I think he’s great. He was outstanding in Justified and The Shield.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until this year, I would have said Gary Oldman.

But I’ve been a fan of Courtney B Vance since his portrayal of Jonesy in The Hunt For Red October.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
This is the person who is, or has been, in many movies (the silver screen) yet never seems to receive the recognition (either from the Academy or public popularity) who YOU feel he/she deserves.

Who is that person for you?

For me; that person is probably Don Cheadle. Sure, he was good in the Ocean's movies but Hotel Rwanda - awesome (IMO).

A close second for me is Robin Williams. Though he did get a lot of recognition (Good Morning Vietnam, Jumanji, and Mrs. Doubtfire to name a few), he is one of the few actors whom I have liked in EVERY movie character I have seen him perform.

I've said a number of times, If hotel Rwanda had come out a different year than million Dollar Baby, it would have taken best picture.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Walton Goggins
He doesn’t get a lot of big movie roles but when he does I think he’s great. He was outstanding in Justified and The Shield.

He was in Lincoln and Antman and Wasp. Everytime I see him on screen I know I'm going to enjoy myself.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Jessica Chastain. She should have two Oscars right now. One for Zero Dark Thirty (They gave it to Jlaw), and another for Molly’s Game (she didn’t even get nominated).

Joaquin Phoenix should have received one for Two Lovers. He has put in a litany of performances in over the years that have been remarkable. With Philip Seymour Hoffman’s passing, Phoenix is one of the greats left, and there are few.

Robin Williams won an Oscar for Good Will Hunting by the way.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walton Goggins

He is an entertaining MFer. My girlfriend made me watch Vice Principals after watching Hateful Eight. Then I was watching some stupid super hero movie with kids in the family and Goggins shows up as a prison warden.

It took balls to play the tranny in Sons of Anarchy (pun intended).

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure he’s still underrated, but IMO, no actor has grown more in the last 5 or 10 years than Matthew McConaughey.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until this year I would have said Sam Rockwell and then he won an Oscar.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
always is in a supporting role and gives strong performances:

David Strathairn

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Walton Goggins

He is an entertaining MFer. My girlfriend made me watch Vice Principals after watching Hateful Eight. Then I was watching some stupid super hero movie with kids in the family and Goggins shows up as a prison warden.

It took balls to play the tranny in Sons of Anarchy (pun intended).

^^^^Oh I see what you did there.^^^^
His part as Venus was one of my favorites. For me it doesn’t get much better than season 1 of Justified when he is preaching. That was some amazing acting that only gets better when he does his back and forth with Timothy Olyphant, another wiley underrated actor.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Ben Foster

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ben Foster. I just saw his brief turn in Hostiles.
Great movie, BTW.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Some good ones already mentioned.

Ben Foster, Walton Goggins, Don Cheadle, all great mentions.

I go out of my way to see Denzel Washington movies. Although he is a world class actor and not what this thread is about.

For underrated, I like Forest Whitaker. Oh, and love Jeff Bridges. And dont forget Kevin Spacey.

And the best actor of our time, and I get flack for this, is Leonardo DiCaprio.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
always is in a supporting role and gives strong performances:

David Strathairn

He starred in "good night, and good luck" playing Edward R. Murrow.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

No flack from me. I've enjoyed his work in many things, but his part in The Departed sealed the deal for me. He's a good one.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Michael Stuhlbarg

look him up.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Kenneth Branagh. I don’t follow the oscars etc but I’ve always liked this actor. According to IMDb He gets nominated a lot but never wins. I’ve enjoyed just about everything I’ve seen him in. So I think he’s underrated.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Kurt Russell and Bruce Willis.

Each has a body of work that is long and remarkable. Willis has had some less than stellar vehicles, but he always seems to give a good performance.

I know that if their names are on a movie's credits, I'll probably enjoy it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I don't disagree that he's a fine actor, though I think Tom Hardy may be a better.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post