SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bohemian Rhapsody? Anybody seen it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bohemian Rhapsody? Anybody seen it? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Saw it tonight, LOVED IT!

I was bobbing my head and tapping my foot the entire movie, such a great story and music.

4 stars in my book.

ETA:

I thought the portrayal of Mecury's homosexuality and gays in general was done really well and most importantly it was appropriate to the era when it took place instead of having today's standards applied to it like we see all to often now in movies that are set in the past. It was treated as something more underground and hidden, not mainstream or normal and it even seemed like they were trying to show that Mercury struggled with it morally at times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I also thought it was really clever in how they replaced the orchestral fanfare of the 20th Century Fox opening sequence with one that Queen might have played:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Went and saw it again last night!

It should pick up some Oscars if these angry reviewers don’t sabotage it, apparently many don’t think it was “gay” enough but if you read my previous post I think that was handled perfectly.

Moviegoers love it so far, just not the critics. Screw ‘em!

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
... I thought the portrayal of Mecury's homosexuality and gays in general was done really well and most importantly it was appropriate to the era when it took place instead of having today's standards applied to it like we see all to often now in movies that are set in the past. It was treated as something more underground and hidden, not mainstream or normal and it even seemed like they were trying to show that Mercury struggled with it morally at times.
That's a good observation. It seemed his biggest struggle with being gay was that he truly loved Mary.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
... I thought the portrayal of Mecury's homosexuality and gays in general was done really well and most importantly it was appropriate to the era when it took place instead of having today's standards applied to it like we see all to often now in movies that are set in the past. It was treated as something more underground and hidden, not mainstream or normal and it even seemed like they were trying to show that Mercury struggled with it morally at times.
That's a good observation. It seemed his biggest struggle with being gay was that he truly loved Mary.

Right to the bitter end. He basically left everything to her.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The most frustrating thing about this movie is that I saw it while in Vegas this week amd left right before the Live Aid scene. I had to catch a plane. If it wasn’t for the dumb coming attractions I probably would have caught it all.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it with my wife. She liked it, I really liked it. Very entertaining.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We saw it tonight. A great film. The performances were all very good.

The dark center of the film dealing with Freddie’s struggles was compelling.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
Rami was absolutely outstanding!! Mike Myers part was a great Easter egg! The first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody was watching Wayne’s World! I now have teenage boys who have been cranking Queen all week!! They really wanted to see the movie. They were amazed at all the awesome songs.

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I went and watched the real Queen Live Aid set and it was amazing how they got every detail just right in the movie, from the Pepsi cups on the piano, to the crowd's participation in Radio Ga Ga to John Deacon's hair and outfit. Almost eerie.

I'm not 100% certain but I could have SWORN I saw a glimpse of the real Brian May in the background as a stagehand/roadie. Anyone else see that?

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Just got home from seeing it.

I enjoyed it, just wish the music would have been louder.

7/10 from me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Just got home from seeing it.

I enjoyed it, just wish the music would have been louder.

7/10 from me.

I think it depends on the theater.

The first time I saw it was at a Movie Tavern and it ROCKED and sounded great. The second was in a regular AMC theater and the sound wasn't as great.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
You may be right. The sound quality was good, just not the volume.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Seen it last night with my daughter who is in her thirties. She's familiar with Queen but not enough to associate Freddie Mercury with them. I would liken it to James Cameron's Titanic. Cameron went to great effort to duplicate the Titanic in every detail and I think the same was done here with the original band members and performances. Cameron of course took complete dramatic license with his story line. I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of Queen to know how much dramatic license was taken with the story line here.

For instance how the rock anthem We Will Rock You was developed. Is that a accurate depiction? Did he really go to his parents house for tea with his new boyfriend Jim just before going to the Live Aid concert?

One thing I picked out was the first night Freddie played with the band Smile and he struggled with the microphone stand until he eventually pulled the microphone along with the shaft right out of the floor base. He continued to use it that way over his career. I always wondered watching Queens performances over the years why Freddie always had that shaft attached to the microphone. I just figured it was a prop that he could use in a often times suggestive way!Big Grin

I thoroughly enjoyed it as did my daughter. She sent me a text about a hour after I dropped her off at her house. She said "I just watched Queen at Live Aid on You Tube! OMG"!!

I will be seeing this movie again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I saw some videos discussing the differences between the film and real life.

For the most part the film was accurate but a few events were sped up or compressed from real life for dramatic effect.

Freddie had reconciled with the band for some time before Live Aid and had toured with them previous to the Live Aid concert.

The whole new boyfriend/coming out storyline takes place after the Live Aid concert.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
How close to 13 should one be for this PG-13 movie (asking for an 11 year old)? Drug use? Nudity? Profanity?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
How close to 13 should one be for this PG-13 movie (asking for an 11 year old)? Drug use? Nudity? Profanity?

Thanks in advance.

I took my 11 year old to see it and didn't find anything objectionable.

Here is the parents guide from IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1...uide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thank you and thanks for the link.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
You see two dudes kiss once in the movie. There are a few liaisons alluded too but nothing inappropriate for a teenager IMO.

Safe for teens in my opinion.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wow! Eek

Bohemian Rhapsody has earned more than $600m worldwide at the box office, making it the highest-grossing music biopic of all time.

600 million dollars so far...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,