SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Godzilla vs Kong (2021) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
The trailer's been out for a couple days, so I'm sure some have already seen it. I realize there are states that allow people to go to the movie theater, but as a Californian, I don't expect I'll be able to watch this on the big screen with booming surround sound system.

https://youtu.be/odM92ap8_c0

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
So, Godzilla is a bad guy now??

Growing up watching the Japanese King Kong and Godzilla movies, I always liked Kong.

But, after watching the last few Godzilla movies, I liked him.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, Godzilla and Mothra got it on after "G:KotM", had a pupae, and now Big G is cranky and irate because Queen Moth is going through that post-partum cantankerousness.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Can't wait. The plot will most likely be silly and/or stupid but a chance to watch giant monsters beat the crap out of each other for 2 hours is worth the price of admission.

Coming to HBO Max in March.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Always liked the 1962 film when Kong stuffs a tree in Godzilla’s mouth. Always makes me laugh.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Oh no! There goes Tokyo!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the giant monster movies when I was a kid but I hated that usually the monsters had barely any screen time. I didn’t care about the people and a plot, I wanted monster action the whole time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
So, Godzilla is a bad guy now??

Growing up watching the Japanese King Kong and Godzilla movies, I always liked Kong.

But, after watching the last few Godzilla movies, I liked him.

Godzilla is a sheila.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
a chance to watch giant monsters beat the crap out of each other for 2 hours

Sounds like me and my friends playing Rampage at the arcade back in the day. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
After seeing the quick view of Mechagodzilla in the opening seconds of the trailer, I’m fairly certain we’ll see a team up with King and Godzilla to destroy it, then say “truce” and go their separate ways.

The first modern Godzilla movie was pretty good; the second was even better with the adding of several titans from early movies. Looking forward to this one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looks stupid

I'll most likely enjoy the heck out of it Big Grin

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
After seeing the quick view of Mechagodzilla in the opening seconds of the trailer, I’m fairly certain we’ll see a team up with King and Godzilla to destroy it, then say “truce” and go their separate ways.

Where is Mecha-G?

EDIT - is that him in the blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of people running into a subway entrance as buildings collapse on top of them as some monster or whatever passes over top?

It would explain a lot - in the very first Mecha-Godzilla movie (1974?), "Godzilla" attacked Japan (and almost killed good-guy monster Angirus), but it turned out to be Mecha-G controlled by evil aliens.

That could explain how Godzilla could be the 'bad guy.' I hope this is true, as I LOVE MECHAGODZILLA!!!!

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
is that him in the blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of people running into a subway entrance as buildings collapse on top of them as some monster or whatever passes over top?

The brevity of the appearance of Mechagodzilla in the trailer speaks volumes to me about it’s significance.

And here is a little something from the above trailer...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a betting man, but we remind you all that over the years Godzilla has successfully taken on all comers: The Japanese Defense Forces, Rodan, Mothra, Megalon, Megagurius, Mecha-Godzilla, King Gidorha, space men from Planet X, others. Godzilla is and has been the undisputed super heavy weight champion of the world for a long time.

No disrespect to Kong. He's had a mostly successful career too. His main weakness is that he likes the girls a bit too much.

Calling it now: the smart money has gotta be on Godzilla to retain the title...

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wetrudgeon:

Calling it now: the smart money has gotta be on Godzilla to retain the title...

After two movies of proving Godzilla is 'the good guy' / balance to the force, I have a hard time believing they will turn that around and make him a villain.

Just in that trailer, he killed several thousand US Navy sailors (in the carrier he torched and the destroyer he sliced in half). This is entirely at odds from how he was portrayed in the two previous movies.

I believe that 'Godzilla' fighting Kong on the carrier is Mecha-Godzilla in a rubber Godzilla suit. This is how Mecha-G was introduced in the 1974 movie, and it gives the studio the chance to hype up the whole 'who will win' thing.

I think this will be more like a Batman-vs-Superman thing where they fight at first, but then come together to fight off the 'real' enemy (in this case, Mecha-G controlled by aliens). That's my bet, at least.

And it looks like it will be awesome.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran across this video yesterday comparing the original movie match-up to this new one. 1962! Growing up I loved Sunday morning Godzilla movie marathons of the Toho originals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Perry,

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I just want to know how Kong got so big?

Long live thr king.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I just want to know how Kong got so big?

Long live thr king.

exactly -- i recall Kong being like 40'-50' tall. big sure.

But the movies make him look 10X that.

weird.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Godzilla grew over the years. Makes sense that Kong would, as well.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post