SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vikings rant....spoilers inside!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vikings rant....spoilers inside!!! Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Okay, forget for a minute that the whole series is a mix of legend and 9th century(?) history. Forget that it's just a historical fiction TV series.

Where in the hell did they find all those snakes? Yeah, they were mostly constrictors so let's not focus on the biting, etc. I'm just curious how a king could apparently have a breeding program for snakes in sunny ol' England. There has to be one since I can't see finding volunteers to crawl down into that pit to retrieve them to use in the pit back at the castle. And why multiple pits? Greater seating capacity at the outdoor venue??

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
What did you think St Patrick did with all the snakes in Ireland. Had to go somewhere...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well shit you ruined the whole show for me. Going to go watch the View reruns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched since season 2, so not sure of the reference. But the legend was the English threw Ragnar into a pit of vipers and his sons took vengeance.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I haven't watched since season 2, so not sure of the reference. But the legend was the English threw Ragnar into a pit of vipers and his sons took vengeance.

That's pretty much it. Except the snakes in question were pretty obviously boas and pythons. I'm just wondering where they got "vipers" from. Europe is not really a hotbed for snakes!

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The name 'adder' is derived from nædre, an Old English word that had the generic meaning of serpent in the older forms of many Germanic languages. It was commonly used in the Old English version of the Christian Scriptures for the devil and the serpent in the Book of Genesis.[5][9] In the 14th century, 'a nadder' in Middle English was rebracketed to 'an adder' (just as 'a napron' became 'an apron' and 'a nompere' changed into 'an umpire').

In keeping with its wide distribution and familiarity through the ages, Vipera berus has a large number of common names in English, which include:

Common European adder,[3] common European viper,[4] European viper,[10] northern viper,[11] adder, common adder, crossed viper, European adder,[12] common viper, European common viper, cross adder,[13] or common cross adder.[14]
In Denmark, Norway and Sweden, the snake is known as hugorm, hoggorm and huggorm, roughly translated as 'striking snake'. In Finland, it is known as kyykäärme or simply kyy, in Estonia it is known as rästik, while in Lithuania it is known as angis.

Their range:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

In the sagas, Ragnar is thrown into a pit of vipers by king Aella. While this species of snake isn't as venemous as some others, if you were tossed into a pit of them and received multiple bites and had nowhere to go without stepping on a snake, I can't imagine one would survive back in those days.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I was just reading about that. According to Wikipedia, there are only three species of snakes in England, the adder being one. LOL Funny stuff.

posted Hide Post
4 if you count black adder

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
4 if you count black adder

Big Grin

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
Actually it was a pit full of wolves. I would know.

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

LOL