SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Jimmy Buffett song...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Jimmy Buffett song... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There's SO MANY great Jimmy songs...

Some of my favorites include:

Migration
A Pirate Looks at 40
She's Going Out of My Mind
He Went to Paris
Death of an Unpopular Poet
The Captain and the Kid
Ballad of Spider John

There's quite a few more, but that's a good start.

Posts: 32 | Location: Anchorage, AK - USA | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit Juicy fruit

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Pirate.

These lyrics speak to me...

"The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate"

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Treat Her Like a Lady

"Now great whales travel the rhumb lines
Dodging those deadly harpoons
Spawning their young, as their ancestors done
In the depths of her hidden lagoons

There're times I find myself with them
And times I feel as they do
We're on a similar course, it's just a different source
But I'm in danger of extinction too"

Those words really spoke to me when I was 21 years old. Quoted them on my senior yearbook page from the CG Academy, along with two other artists' songs. Not sure if its my favorite JB song, but those lyrics really meant a lot to me during that time of my life.

I've seen him several times, twice in 2 nights once when my oldest brother came down from Alaska to visit when I lived in Va and he wanted to go to both shows. He's a bigger fan than even I am, and I used to host Jimmy Buffet parties while at the Academy.

I've become less of a fan over the years, had many debates with good buds about the commercialization of his tours with the different sponsors, but he is probably still my favorite artist of all time. One of the few I would perhaps go see again if the opportunity presented itself.

If anybody cares, the other 2 quotes were from Dan Fogelberg and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Ya'll want a fall vacation? Go to the Frank Brown Songwriters Festival November 9-19 http://frankbrownsongwriters.com/wp/ Best weather. Jimmy's sister's place is one of the venues. He sometimes stopped by the Flora-Bama to sit in in the day.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Havana Daydreamin'

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Changes in Latitude/Attitude

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In no particular order
Bama Breeze
Pirate
Creola

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: March 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yog:
There's SO MANY great Jimmy songs...

Some of my favorites include:

Migration
A Pirate Looks at 40
She's Going Out of My Mind
He Went to Paris
Death of an Unpopular Poet
The Captain and the Kid
Ballad of Spider John

There's quite a few more, but that's a good start.

Jimmy Buffett is a prolific songwriter, but he didn't write "Spider John." Willis Alan Ramsey, from the first wave of great Texas singer-songwriters wrote that one and it's found on his self-titled 1972 album on Shelter Records.

There's actually a YT video of Jimmy Buffett performing "Spider John." He pays a nice tribute to Willis Alan Ramsey and calls it one song "he wishes he wrote." I think the original version is available on YT; give it a listen. I think Ramsey tells the story perfectly--no disrespect to Jimmy.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
He went to Paris is my favorite.

No comments on his writing? Love his books as much as his music.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite album is Live in Anguilla. Love it. I was stationed on the U. S. S. America from 1985-1988. On our way back from a med cruise after bombing Libya, Jimmy Buffet was flown out to our boat and put on a concert for us. It was great. He did a song called God's own drunk, maybe not my favorite, but I had never heard it before and it was cool.

He wrote about the concert in his second book. I have seen a lot of concerts but that that one will always be special.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Treetop Flyer

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post