SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
What’s your opinion of the game so far?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Is this a resource collecting/building grind? I'd be interested if it is more quest-type gaming in addition to the MMO(looks very limited) interaction.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The graphics are the same as the past couple fallout games.. they used the same 10 year old engine.
This game isn’t fallout, it’s just an mmo that looks and smells like fallout but it’s just a lame ass money grab. I’m just going to keep playing new Vegas for the next 5 years and hopefully this game will flop and we can get a good fallout then.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There are a whole lot of quests, as well as events. The map is huge and there is tons to explore.

I'm enjoying it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Make sure you go to Camden Park. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I have been gifted a copy of the game. Who wants to get yelled at?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I have been gifted a copy of the game. Who wants to get yelled at?

You know where to find me.

quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
The graphics are the same as the past couple fallout games.. they used the same 10 year old engine.
This game isn’t fallout, it’s just an mmo that looks and smells like fallout but it’s just a lame ass money grab. I’m just going to keep playing new Vegas for the next 5 years and hopefully this game will flop and we can get a good fallout then.

Some thoughts on this attitude.

See page one of this thread for my initial feelings on a multiplayer fallout. To which, I was just like "I enjoyed wandering the wasteland in Fallout 4, and I'll do that."

As far as pining away for a Fallout as good as the original games, or New Vegas, good luck with that. The way games are made, and the games most people want, make a Fallout better than New Vegas unlikely at best.

Skyrim is the best modern RPG, in my humble opinion. I'd settle for a Fallout with stories, quests and characters that well done.

Fallout 4 had a bullshit story, annoying "radial" repeating quests, annoying characters with a few exceptions, but the nugget that was fun, and Fallout, was wandering the wastes, reading all the notes and terminals. Finding all the cool locations.

Why can't we get a Fallout like 1 or 2?

The answer has a lot to do with technology. Back in the day, it was ALL text. Ever play Zork? I loved those games. As tech improved with graphics, everything was still text driven. It was the main way to tell the story, and it was expected, because reading was a thing. Ass tons of dialogue and lots of choice was easy.

Fast forward to today. Where what matters is graphics, and no one cares unless a character speaks. You could make Fallout 1 or 2 today, and no one would care. Case in point, Wasteland 2. Which was pretty good, but no one cared, and people still complained about it.

Games are really expensive to make now, and they have to be bought by the maximum number of neckbearded virgins. They also have to be console compatible, so that really dumbs down the dialogue options off the bat. Fallout has a nature survival/scavenge element to it, which pits it against games like Rust, Ark, and more. So people have those expectations.

Bottom line, is that anyone who loves Fallout agrees that New Vegas was the best modern game. Due to the state of the gaming world, another New Vegas or anything close to the originals is highly, highly unlikely. Bethesda clearly only listens to money, and not the fans wanting a classicly fallout build-a-bad-person game. Maybe they will do this again someday, but I doubt it.

Is Fallout 76 going to "flop," no. It has that Fallout flavor, without shitty NPCs or party members. It has multiplayer. It has all the things an multiplayer game needs today. It has already sold a lot of copies.

Times have changed. Bitching that modern fallout games suck, is dull. The choice is to either enjoy what is available, or play something else. Bethesda can't hear you through the wall of cash they've made, and the rest of us just want to have fun. Even though you're right about what classic Fallout should be, it's really old hat to be the grizzled fallout purist.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am with Arc on this one. Fallout 3 was my favorite.
I had over 5000 hours in that game.

But this is WAY better than ESO, and certainly better than Destiny 2.

I got together with four friends last night and we played for hours. Of course it is down today to fix frame rate issues, and problems with quests, so I will wait until Wednesday to play again, but I did not have any issues with people going rogue, and we all enjoyed the open world.

This look like it will be fun.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's alright. The lack of human NPCs, even as just raiders, annoys me. I hope that's a thing they introduce later, as well as just regular, not asshole NPCs, traders and townsfolk and whatnot. It feels very empty with just me, the mutant bumpkins, and xXxSwAgBrO420xXx bunny hopping around. No doubt it's very pretty, and there's lots to see and do, like this is what DayZ standalone wassupposed to be, but could never quite do, but the emptiness bothers me.

The retarded "plan" for the dwellers of Vault 76, to just run out and scatter into the hills as soon as the door opens, and that will somehow rebuild America. I'm sure a better plan could have been made, like I dunno, twenty years ago in Fallout 2 with Vault City? But playing those old games is for gay grandpas, and the real plan here was to sell games to the aforementioned xXxSwAgBrO420xXx, with a familiar looking name. The levels on the weapons kind of pisses me off too. What's the difference between a Level 5 .44 Magnum, and a Level 10 .44 Magnum? Five levels. Oh, and you can't use it. Fuuuuuuuuuuck you.

Oh, and I accidentally scrapped my beer helmet I found on a skeleton, I was super pissed about that. I'm still super pissed.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I guess it sorta makes sense not to have established settlements since this is supposed to be the beginning of restarting the country after the fallout but the lack of NPCs is one big reason I’ve held off buying the game.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Oh, memories - the original top down strategy Fallout was the best. I love those old games. My standby is still Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - perhaps the best stand the test of time PC game ever. Arc's assessment is dead on - the console player is dictating the terms now for gaming, except for WoW

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I am playing AC Odyssey right now, and hopefully by the time I am bored with that RDR 2 will be available on PC. I have loved these games in the past, even IV though it left some things to be desired. NV might be my favorite. I am not big on MMO's so we'll see where is at in a few months. Thanks for posting your experiences.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I am with Arc on this one. Fallout 3 was my favorite.
I had over 5000 hours in that game.

But this is WAY better than ESO, and certainly better than Destiny 2.

I got together with four friends last night and we played for hours. Of course it is down today to fix frame rate issues, and problems with quests, so I will wait until Wednesday to play again, but I did not have any issues with people going rogue, and we all enjoyed the open world.

This look like it will be fun.

Not trying to start an argument here, but I think it's better said that you enjoy F076 way better than ESO. I don't see much to compare the two.

ESO is filled with speaking NPCs that drive a huge story line across 3 factions. Several of these NPCs reappear later as you progress.

Each faction has many side quests, given by NPCs. There are dozens more NPCs you can interact with in the world not driven by any quests.

There is no ongoing hunger or thirst in ESO.

The PVP in ESO is faction driven, and is only in a special zone designed for PVP. (I don't PVP so can't speak much else about it).

There is a trade system - guild stores (as horrible as it is) - where players can buy/sell items to other players.

Call this opinion, but I think the graphics in ESO are much better than in F076.

I've been in F076 for just a couple of hours, and I'm enjoying it. I enjoy ESO too, but they feel like different games to me.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
So I started a character on release day figuring that I would play it a bit just to get up to speed on the various game elements and mechanics of the game since I was never able to get into the beta for one reason or another when I was able to try, and got up to level 5 by last Friday. I'm going to be starting a new character now that I've somewhat learned the ropes and learned from some mistakes but what I can't figure out is if everyone was supposed to start off with reset characters as of release day regardless of how far you got in beta, how I managed across a level 43 player and even saw a level 61 and 69! level player on the map by Friday evening! Mods or Bethesda people maybe? I don't see how it is possible to get up to that level in a matter of three days of the game going live. Anyway....

I did get to the point where I ran across a few other folks and even helped complete one of the events. Once I hit level 5 I knew it was only a matter of time before I would likely get challenged (more like assassinated) in PVP so I found a spot to make a basic camp with a bed, cooking station, and airline seat and three strategically placed turrets. I had already tested the effectiveness of the turrets by having some robots chase me back to camp and they worked beautifully and quickly to eliminate them.

I saw that there was a level 23 character hanging around close to the initial quest town so I took a seat in my comfy airline chair and waited. Sure enough up wanders the level 23 carrying what looked like a scoped combat rifle / sniper rifle of some sort. I knew that "she" could now likely hear the clanking and buzzing of my turrets standing by and she shoots the ground in front of me and then taunts me to come out of camp. I guess they realized that given how my turrets were set up (they could probably only see two of the three) that if they tried to initiate PVP with me still in camp they would immediately get attacked by the turrets so they wanted me to initiate by having me move out of my camp. I declined with the "No" emoji and after they wandered around my camp another couple minutes, they wandered off without firing a shot at me.

I almost wish they would have shot me to see if my turrets would have automatically fired on them or if it would have required me to shoot them back first. Either way, considering my three turrets had overlapping fire and I already had some basic firearms and armor, I would have likely come on top considering how fast the turrets destroyed the robots I lured over.

Going to start a new character and actually start working on my permanent persona. So far liking it well enough but I agree that NPCs would be a welcome addition and text chat is a must for a near future update. I rarely have used voice in online games as I prefer text chat for a variety of reasons. I ended up muting the in game voice chat because I just kept hearing people making random noises and even munching and eating in my ear.

On a more technical note, I find it hard to believe that especially using an older graphics engine, the processing power of modern servers, and the speed of most Internet connections these days that they have limited game instances to only 24 characters per "virtual server" instance of the game. Seems very low to me when other MMOs with persistent worlds can literally have hundreds if not thousands of people per server. I get that they want to try to keep the game feeling more solitary and survivalish but still.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
All characters were carried over from the beta. It was in the beta FAQ.

The 24 character server limit was intentional, for immersion. At least that's Bethesda's explanation. Smile

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Wow that sounds like fun. I have to go hide in my camp defenses because a high level character is around and they may kill me. This seems more and more like a no go.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Umm...the camp experience was part of my getting to know the game and seeing how another player character would react as well as seeing how the interaction would unfold. What you call "hiding" I call strategic experimentation. It was actually entertaining and informative. It's not like I was just sitting in my camp the whole time I was playing. You explore, take risks, and get rewarded for those efforts. You can also move your camp around and fast travel as needed.

There are lots of ways to play the game, manage circumstances, and interact or not with others. You can choose to engage or ignore another player as well as the PVP mechanism has been described as a "slap" as damage from another player is supposedly minimal unless you fight back to engage in PVP and you can put people on ignore which removes you from showing on their map as well. There is more to fear from multiple people teaming up to grief single players than one on one, even with a disparity in level and equipment from what I have researched and read. Still have not been "slapped" but I'm sure it is only a matter of time and I will choose to engage or not depending on what I am doing at the time and the circumstances.

It is both amusing and comforting though that there are ways to mitigate grief players and that in most cases you can determine and control the frequency / engagement / outcome of running into other players.

Looks like I posted the 76th reply to the thread. Big Grin

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Nice! Nothing screams "don't mess with me" like sporting power armor and a Ma Deuce. Big Grin

-Dtech

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I've only got a few hours in, just been too busy. Some things pissed me off at first but then I thought about it and it makes sense.
I "claimed" a workshop, built it up with turrets etc. I had to log out for a minute and logged back in and. ... it's gone, unclaimed again. WTH?
I guess this is a metric to keep us sharing and stuff. Anyway once I read about it and thought about it, it makes sense. Tonight I may try it again and farm some power cores. But that's the point, use it to build up a resource(s) and farm and then move on.
The perk system took some figuring out. Building my camp as well. It is not fallout 5, and while the npc's and companions and stuff are all gone. I am having fun. I am having to change from a hoarder of power cores and mininukes, to a scrapper and crafter. My storage box is full so I logged out. Today I will rebuild my camps, sell and scrap and build. Then punch out a few quests.
It's not Fallout 5, New Vegas, or even what I 'wanted' but dang I am having fun.

I do miss dog meat though.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post