SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
There is nothing like losing yourself in a game like Skyrim, spending hours just doing some side quests, or realizing you just spent 45 minutes rearranging a virtual house or something.

If I want to play co-op I will play something with my friends, but there is nothing like a deep single player epic game. Its sad to see them going away

Some of the early MMOs were all that and more. Completely open worlds that you could do as you wished, unguided and restricted only by your character dying. People everywhere to play with or ignore.

I miss those. WoW was one of the biggest to change things into a more directed system. Never really got into that one.

Tried ESO but it was just too much storytelling, too little action.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The more I read about Fallout 76, the more I'm out.

Latest interviews with the creator basically says you can be a dick and nuke stuff and be a general game wrecking asshole. You will pay a price, in that you will become wanted and have a bounty on your head and other stuff, but to the average douchbag that's almost encouragement.

I'm out, it will take just one asshole in your world to ruin everyone's good time.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Being a Fallout fan, I have been researching the game for a while now and finished watching the one hour developer video where they describe many of the elements of the game. There is enough that I heard and saw that I liked about the potential of the game to go ahead and pre-order it. While I am still concerned about some of the things brought up about griefing, it seems that they did take some substantially steps to balance the occurrence, ramifications, and avoidance enough to give the game the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure they may tweak it further once thousands of people are playing.

In either case, I'm going to remain positive about the open world elements and hopeful that the lack of NPCs won't be too detracting, and that other elements will compensate or replace that effectively. Who knows? Maybe with time and additional player feedback the NPC element might work its way back in?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
B.E.T.A is out on the PC.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
One of their bugs "features" will now delete the entire game from your system! Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That’s one hell of a bug even for Bugthesda.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Latest interviews with the creator basically says you can be a dick and nuke stuff and be a general game wrecking asshole. You will pay a price, in that you will become wanted and have a bounty on your head and other stuff, but to the average douchbag that's almost encouragement.

I'm out, it will take just one asshole in your world to ruin everyone's good time.

My understanding is that the player v player areas are limited, and that even in them, a player can decline combat. If the initiator goes ahead anyway, it sounds like he gets very little rewards and does become wanted and subject to valuable bounties.

I will wait to see, but it sounds like they are trying to make it appealing to a wide variety of players.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I have preordered the last few Fallout games. I think I am going to wait on this one to get some feedback. This is not a game that I am that interested in playing multiplayer so the lack of NPCs really lowers my interest.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm on the fence as well. I played the crap out of the last one, did all the endings, etc.

I'm not into multiplayer fallout/skyrim/etc. I'll stick to the CODs with my son for multiplayer.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

My understanding is that the player v player areas are limited, and that even in them, a player can decline combat. If the initiator goes ahead anyway, it sounds like he gets very little rewards and does become wanted and subject to valuable bounties.

I will wait to see, but it sounds like they are trying to make it appealing to a wide variety of players.

My concern is that becoming wanted and having a bounty on your head isn't a deterrent, it almost makes folks want to come screw with you more just for the fun of it.

Maybe I am wrong. I guess I am just an old man who wants these companies to leave single player games the hell alone.

If you want a Fallout MMO, go ahead and release one. Don't fuck up the formula that has made your series a success all these years.

They ruined Mass Effect with this nonsense. I pray they don't screw up the next Elder Scrolls. There is an online ES already, don't ruin the single player experience

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I splurged and am in the "B.E.T.A" now.

It's Fallout 4 Online, with some changes that I can detail.

Graphically it looks great, there are new enemies and some new mechanics like the perk system is changed again.

The events are cool so far.

As far as I understand it, you can attack anyone anytime, after level 5. PvP is not limited to zones.

Right now, everyone is behaving themselves, because it's not very crowded, everyone is low level, and few people have groups.

I imagine it will turn douchey at some point, but so far it's a good mix of DayZ and Fallout 4.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
the online times have all been while I was at work. I will try to play tomorrow.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm in there, sans the 76, it might list me as just Arc. If'n I'm on. I'm not sure how many regional zones or instances there are or will be.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Frownserver down.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
So, you can find people you know through the "social" menu. There are multiple servers and it randomly dumps you in one. To play together you need to use the social tab.

Loot regenerates, stash boxes are player independent. Quest items are player independent.

Arc.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I wonder if my stuff is protected if someone finds my campground. Where did you build yours? I think I may wander over towards the GreenBriar and build somewhere over there.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Your stash can only be accessed by you. In fact, if you open any stash anywhere, including in someone elses base, it will be your stash.

They can damage your camp, but they can't actually take anything.

Also, PvP is anytime anywhere, after level 5. But, everyone can see other players on the map, and people you kill can put a bounty on you.

With teams, PvP is going to be very hard on lone dirtbags.

I was killed once tonight, at random, by another player for no reason. So, I found him and returned the favor.

Frankly, I recommend hanging on to one grenade. Just for that one guy who needs to die. It's more than sufficient for anyone "low level," and not in power armor.

I got killed while I was overburdened.

What you drop, is all of your scrap items. Not your armor or weapons.

I highly recommend finding a team and playing with them.

Arc.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Yes, I only made it to level five before the servers shut down. There were only a few dozen people on my server. So I think they have a bunch of worlds to keep them from getting crowded. I searched for you but didnt get any hits. I did a few quests, and even worked with a group doing an 'event' and got some extra loot. I haven't found anything of worth yet.

I died a few times by just walking into a group of bots etc. But then did the 'auto stimpack' perk and haven't died since. No one has attacked me.

I read a review about this being the loneliest multiplayer game of all time. I tend to agree, I do a lot more sneaking and hiding from others. And the whole "only vault dwellers" are alive is kinda creepy.
I haven't figured out how to 'scrap' stuff yet. I can scrap junk just fine, but I cant seem to scrap trees and other stuff around my campground.

I am at work for the next few beta tests so Maybe this weekend.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Can Xbox players (or other console gamers) play on the same maps as PC gamers? I've got a laptop but some of my coworkers have XBoxes. I'd hate to have to get a console to play with them.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
In every other multiplayer game I've played so far, there are no cross-platform games where multiple platforms are in the same game instance. That doesn't mean this one doesn't. It just means it is unlikely.

I'm on PC, and so is everyone I know who is in game with me.

Arc.