SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fallout 76 announced by Bethesda Login/Join 
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

I do miss dog meat though.

Dog Meat

Here ya go!

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only got a few hours in, just been too busy. Some things pissed me off at first but then I thought about it and it makes sense.
I "claimed" a workshop, built it up with turrets etc. I had to log out for a minute and logged back in and. ... it's gone, unclaimed again. WTH?
I guess this is a metric to keep us sharing and stuff. Anyway once I read about it and thought about it, it makes sense. Tonight I may try it again and farm some power cores. But that's the point, use it to build up a resource(s) and farm and then move on.
The perk system took some figuring out. Building my camp as well. It is not fallout 5, and while the npc's and companions and stuff are all gone. I am having fun. I am having to change from a hoarder of power cores and mininukes, to a scrapper and crafter. My storage box is full so I logged out. Today I will rebuild my camps, sell and scrap and build. Then punch out a few quests.
It's not Fallout 5, New Vegas, or even what I 'wanted' but dang I am having fun.

I do miss dog meat though.

That metric keeps people from occupying workshops on multiple servers, and means you have to be there to defend it. The same metric means someone can't utterly trash your Camp while you're offline.

Don't hoard power cores, there are tons, and they last a really long time. Mini Nukes take up a lot of space, and you won't find too many opportunities to use them.

The idea behind a Workshop is that it is held by a group, not an individual, anyway. It is possible to hold a workshop against AI, but unlikely to hold it alone against multiple people.

They've also made changes already, to stop people from server-hopping and wiping out areas of scrap. I'm sure more refinements are on the way, hopefully a Stash and Camp expansion.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:

Not trying to start an argument here, but I think it's better said that you enjoy F076 way better than ESO. I don't see much to compare the two.

ESO is filled with speaking NPCs that drive a huge story line across 3 factions. Several of these NPCs reappear later as you progress.

Each faction has many side quests, given by NPCs. There are dozens more NPCs you can interact with in the world not driven by any quests.

There is no ongoing hunger or thirst in ESO.

The PVP in ESO is faction driven, and is only in a special zone designed for PVP. (I don't PVP so can't speak much else about it).

There is a trade system - guild stores (as horrible as it is) - where players can buy/sell items to other players.

Call this opinion, but I think the graphics in ESO are much better than in F076.

I've been in F076 for just a couple of hours, and I'm enjoying it. I enjoy ESO too, but they feel like different games to me.

Ok, I digress.
They are two completely different games.
I just never really got into ESO because Skyrim was the bomb.

But I play on console, and in 4k HDR, 76 looks better to me than ESO.

But the game is still buggy, I had a buddy lose his whole inventory and another buddy lost his camp.
We have all been booted off the servers several times in critical parts of missions.

But the gameplay is fun and we like running around in a clam.

Bethesda just needs to get the game working with less bugs.

The nuclear explosions are a sight to behold!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been holding off for a bit. It looks like it has *tons* of potential but alot of reviews have been disheartening.

I do trust Bethesda to work out these bugs, and once they do (at least for the most part) I'll jump on board!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
yeah, I am having a lot of fun. Arc, you are right. The workshops are great for harvesting scrap and building resources. I am pretty bummed that at my lowly level I cannot have actual plates on power armor but I am having fun exploring and interacting. few "wanted" notifications, but so far I have not been attacked. On a few occasions I have lost to some bad guys, there are some crazy animals/mutants out there. I need to spend more time building my character and skills.

I am trying to figure out how to blueprint things away from my camp. I can still only craft a stupid sleeping bag. I want a nice clean bed dangit.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeah, I am having a lot of fun. Arc, you are right. The workshops are great for harvesting scrap and building resources. I am pretty bummed that at my lowly level I cannot have actual plates on power armor but I am having fun exploring and interacting. few "wanted" notifications, but so far I have not been attacked. On a few occasions I have lost to some bad guys, there are some crazy animals/mutants out there. I need to spend more time building my character and skills.

I am trying to figure out how to blueprint things away from my camp. I can still only craft a stupid sleeping bag. I want a nice clean bed dangit.

The "blueprint" feature is just for rebuilding your base in one step. If you move camp and don't blueprint, you build it piece by piece over again, but the pieces are stored either way.

To build items, you have to find the plans. They are randomly out in the world, also rewarded for quests, and taking over a workshop. They can also be purchased at vendors.

The pink flamingos and bathtub I found randomly while scrounging about.

Basically, this game is what you did already in other Falout games when you were ignoring the "main storyline." While there is one, and it's not a bad story, the purpose of Fallout 76 is to explore, kill stuff, and PvP if you want.

I and a number of folks have been enjoying ourselves. The butthurt I've read about this game, complaining about the graphics and engine? Well, I'm too busy hitting super mutants in the face with a Super Sledge to be upset.

Is it sometimes glitchy? Yes. So what. Is it an old engine? Yes, but it looks great and runs on my 10 year old computer.

Some day, they'll give us a Fallout as good as New Vegas. This isn't that, and it's not really a solo thing. You're going to have a hard time in later levels alone, and some stuff is impossible. Bring friends.

There are a number of perks that benefit the group, and incentive for each person to use them. Also the workshops and many missions are multiple people necessary.

You CAN solo a lot of things, but better build levels before venturing in certain areas.

I recommend picking a weapon type and sticking with it. The perk system is really nice because it is flexible, but your SPECIAL choices are permanent.

A pugilist build would be the toughest, the damage isn't there. Next toughest would be a Melee weapon build. Ballistic damage is good, but the most damage is still in energy weapons.

A bunch of people I know are trying non power armor builds, I'm not sure if they can survive late game, or PvP with power armor.

Ideally you have a crew with a mix of weapons and at least one person who can craft/repair at a high level.

I'll probably do a new build at some point. I'd still max strength, and put probably 8 points in intelligence, at least three in charisma, haven't decided on the rest.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My complaints are as follows

I’ve lost my camp site twice

From reading on the inter webs this supposedly happens when you log in and into the world and your camp occupies the same space as someone in the world....at that point your camp is supposed to go into your stored section...but there were two problems with this

1). Only half of my workbenches were in the stored stuff...the rest is just gone

2). I had built on the side of a hill...the problem is my building was built to fit that terrain....and because of that I now can’t place it in new places becaus it doesn’t fit...I’d have been better off if they just refunded my materials and I had to start over

But the biggest problem....

I spend more time doing inventory management than I do playing the game and I am always encumbered..

The fact that the vendor bots only have 200 caps to buy stuff with every day is ridiculous....and the fact that I can’t sell or dismantle into components the ammunition I have just sucks...I’ve heard they are trying to increase your stash size.l..I think I am currently logged off with no camp, a full stash, and nearly 450 pounds of gear on my character. I will probably just create a new camp tomorrow so I can manage my inventory without walking all 5e way to a train station or town this encumbered

All that said...I love the game..I’m level 43

I have full suits of power armor, but I have yet to go around in it..l,I’m worried about running out of fusion cores

For those us No power armor, how concerned are you about this?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The issue with stash and vendors, I agree that the stash should be bigger, and that the vendors should have more money.

But not too much more and bigger.

It's an issue between how we probably all played single player fallout, and a game with other humans.

One part is game balancing, as far as items needed to craft, and scrap found in the world. A big stash would mean that people would hoover up even more and faster than they do now. It would also mean things were easier/faster to craft.

So, are we playing in a post-apocalypse where materials are scarce, or not?

Things need to re-spawn in the world, and if it's too easy to find/keep stuff, what is the point?

Of the complaints I've heard, is "why only 30 people on such a huge map." Well, for one, how we all play fallout, with finding and scrapping stuff.

As far as being encumbered, there are ways to deal with it. How I have:

Choose a weapon type and stick with it.

Use the perk that makes that weapon last longer and carry only one extra.

If you use ammo, use the perk that makes that ammo lighter. Don't carry an ass-ton of ammo, you won't need that much if your perks for that weapon are set up.

Food: I recommend getting the perks that make food and water last longer, and there is also a perk that makes food lighter.

Fusion cores last forever compared to Fallout 4, you don't need more than 5, and about that in your stash. They are plentiful enough in the world that I keep the ones with more energy and drop the less full.

Selling bulk scrap to a vendor keeps me flush with caps, managing my stash scrap for what I can turn to bulk and sell means I have room in the stash. I fast travel to 3 vendors to get rid of stuff, they are "zoned" so one or more will have max caps. Fast traveling costs caps, but the cost is defrayed by what I sell off as well.

I also learned to not try to keep every last cool gun. You can't use all of them effectively, and there is no need to keep stocks of every ammo type.

Inventory management is part of it, not having all the things isn't that bad. It's just not the same as it used to be.

Arc.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Here is a video from Oxhorn. I have always liked his story telling, and frankly I dont have time to do 'everything' in the fallout universe so I will tune up a video and just have it play in the background. He also connects the dots for some lore that I did not. Anyway, I agree with his take on the game:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
One of the coolest things I have been able to do in Fallout 76. Play my beloved Tuba:
20181124_223416 by redstone71, on Flickr

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I play the banjo. Sleeping, and playing an instrument, have worthy benefits.

This is a good game, despite the warts. I'm enjoying it a lot.

The coming updates will address much of the major butthurt.

Arc.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a video from Oxhorn. I have always liked his story telling, and frankly I dont have time to do 'everything' in the fallout universe so I will tune up a video and just have it play in the background. He also connects the dots for some lore that I did not. Anyway, I agree with his take on the game:

That review is getting dumped on pretty hard. I have to say I'm more in line with the commenters.

This about sums up how I've felt about the new fallout:

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Had my first run in with an asshole player. Not sure exactly what started it, but Arc, Krugan, and I were up at the munitions factory farting around, when Arc says there's someone here. Oh, and that someone killed him. So I come inside, and sure enough there's some asshole standing over Arc's body, so I do what any person would do, I start shooting the guy in the face with my .44 Magnum. He is many levels above me, so my .44 bullets are actually marshmallows. That's fine, because Krugan is close to Arc's level, which is close to this dong's.

Still, I'm hurting the guy, just not as bad as one would think a .44 would do, forcing him to retreat into a back room, giving Krugan time to come in and set up with his assault rifle, or whatever he's rocking these days, while I keep blasting him with marshmallow cannon. Krugan's shots are not having an effect on the interloper, but he's getting spooked, so he tries to make a run for it, he bolts out of his closet, tossing down a mine as he goes. This is his undoing. I see the mine, I know how this works, so I shoot it, and dipshit is blown to Hell by his own trap.

He came back a couple times looking for revenge, was able to stomp me pretty good, him and Arc got into a rockethammer fight, it looked pretty metal. Then Krugan realized he had pussy mode on, so when he was shooting this guy in his face, it wasn't doing anything. Duuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Krugan corrects this mistake, and proceeds to install a flow-through ventilation system in homie's head. After that I guess he had enough of us not just rolling over and letting him have his way with us, so he logged out. Wanker.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the coolest things I have been able to do in Fallout 76. Play my beloved Tuba:
20181124_223416 by redstone71, on Flickr

It is JAllen in the wasteland!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:

That review is getting dumped on pretty hard. I have to say I'm more in line with the commenters.

This about sums up how I've felt about the new fallout:

I think part of why I'm having any fun, is my low expectations.

I think the other thing that is at play is that I have spent a LOT of time playing, then running a server for the Arma II mod DayZ. Tolerating wonky bugs is part of that.

I wasn't actually expecting much of a story in 76, but it is there. You just have to read/listen, and if you remember playing old games, there was a lot more of that back in the day.

I wasn't expecting Fallout 5. While Fallout 4 was enjoyable, I'm not holding out for another New Vegas, it may never happen. The ability to actually craft the character you want to play, may be gone entirely, just because of how games are made now, and how everything must be jammed into a Console and be accessible with a controller.

What I did expect from the game, it delivers on, which is a big world with lots to do. I think there are improvements to be made, and there is a large patch coming that will address a lot.

I've listened to peoples gripes about the engine, the cut and pasted code, it's not good that Bethesda shit this one out, especially when some people like me paid a lot for the "beta." I'm not ever doing that again.

In order for them to salvage their reputation, and Fallout, they have work to do. I hope they do it, because I have been enjoying myself, even with the handicaps described.

Combat, is doable. The inventory system can be managed, I figured out how, I can run around with about 100lbs to spare.

You don't quite play it like a typical multiplayer, and you can't play it like solo fallout, exactly. For anyone not accustomed to survival mode, or any game where weight matters, well, it's going to be an adjustment.

Arc.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just hit level 40 and am still enjoying it.

Just joined the Enclave.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I saw a level 206. I'm level 80 now. If you're out and about killifying things, and questing, it seems to be about a level an hour, ish. Faster if you're with someone who is higher level.

There are some random quests I haven't done, and some events. I haven't finished the very final mission, you need a crew where everyone can survive a nuked zone.

I have ventured into nuke zones, without power armor of high level I'm not sure how long you last, unless you're doing a radiated build.

I'm waiting to see how some folks do with their no-power-armor builds.

Arc.

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I just hit level 35

God help me, I need ballistic material!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think the army duffel bags give you that.

Arc.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Couple things they need to add

1). Ways to “trade in” perk cards....I have several now where I have duplicates that cannot be made bigger....let me swap them...or redeem them for a chance at random ones....something

2). A way to dismantle or sell ammo...I get why ammo cannot be sold...everyone would be filthy rich very quickly...so make it so I can dismantle ammo into components and then rebuild it into something I want.

3). A way to see what a power armor chassis contains...unless there is a way I’m unaware of, currently the only way to see what parts are on a chassis is by putting it down so you can see what parts are already attached...since power armor attached to a chassis only weighs 10 pounds instead of the sum of its total parts, it is essential to store it attached to a chassis...but it sucks having to take them all out to try and figure out what parts I need (helmets and left arms, fwiw...although I have a full suit of 45, 51b and 60)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post