SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help finding a Sci Fi book series.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding a Sci Fi book series. Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted
About 25 years ago, I read a 5 to 6 book political type sci fi series. It was about the rise of one man, from poverty, to eventual military service, and on to politics, eventually becoming President. I remember that countries had possession of planets (ie, Russia had Mars, Japan had Neptune, etc).

It was one of those series where I couldn't put the books down. I borrowed the first 4-5 from a friend and had to get the missing one from the library.

I have searched for quite a while, and can't come up with the name of the series, or even the author.

I wish I had some more info, but thought maybe the Forum could help knock the cobwebs out of my head.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Bio of a Space Tyrant, by Piers Anthony?

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Ha! I knew someone here would come through. Thank you, that is the series. I have been trying to come up with that series name for over a decade. Eek

Mike

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ooooooo, sounds fascinating!

I shall have to see if I can find that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Ooooooo, sounds fascinating!

I shall have to see if I can find that.

Edit: Available from Amazon. Got the first volume free through my Kindle Unlimited.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
Bio of a Space Tyrant, by Piers Anthony?

I shouldn't be, but I'm still mind-blown and giggling. There must be an internet lag though as it took over 3 hours for the reply to come through whereas it's usually under 5 minutes.

Especially, right after that thread about something with an esoteric deal with a cell tower and two people chimed in that they had direct experience.

Just another benefit of Sigforum membership.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it being a great series when it first came out. I may have to give it another read.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You might enjoy the "Wandering Engineer" Series by Chris Hechtl, the "Cross Time Engineer" Series by Leo Frankowski or old school Bertram Chandler's "John Grimes" series.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
You might enjoy the "Wandering Engineer" Series by Chris Hechtl, the "Cross Time Engineer" Series by Leo Frankowski or old school Bertram Chandler's "John Grimes" series.

I can definitely recommend the "Cross Time Engineer" series. As I recall, there were 3 books? Wonder if he ever wrote any more. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: The hero of that series was Conrad Stargard as I recall. If that's accurate, there are several (up to 8) books out. Looks like I'll have plenty of reading material this Winter.

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I read Bio of a Space Tyrant when I was in high school which was the late 80s.

It seemed to me to be essentially the cold war played out in space.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oooohhhh, will have to look into that also, thanks for the recommendations.

I had read the first Bio of a Space Tyrant book, in my early 20s. It really explained to me, in an odd way, world events, functions, etc. It was something that stuck with me. I looked for years (I always had a suspicion it was Piers Anthony), but couldn't put my finger on the title. It was an intersting series, and something I would like to re-read soon.

I am glad others took interest in it also. Hope you enjoy the series Paul Big Grin.

Mike

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I finally picked up book 2&3 of the Mars trilogy (Red, Blue, Green). Those books are a little sci-fi mixed with a ton of politics if that’s your things. Finished Red earlier this year and it was pretty good.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've got most of the John Grimes books. Love them. Reminds me a little of Heinlein's main characters - men who know a little about everything and always seem to come out smelling like a rose...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You guys have mentioned a number of classic sci fi series. There's a lot of great books out there with a core of brilliant writers like Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, and others. I originally read a lot of these books back when I was younger, Navy days and while traveling and sailing.
Some books have stuck with me more than others over the years.

I liked the Grimes series because Chandler had some life messages in the Grimes stories.
He was a real-life ship captain and was a pretty interesting chap.

Here's a few more that I still enjoy to re-read after years-

Harry Harrison- (in particular the Stainless Steel Rat- would make a great film run if done properly), also the "Deathworld" trilogy.

Joe Haldeman- "The Forever War" and his other books.

Piers Anthony- "Blue Adept" series...

Frederik Pohl- "Gateway" series-

Tad Williams- "Otherland" series. (And we are almost there in tech).

William Gibson and Neal Stephenson also touch on a lot of future highly probable tech (like social media future evolution), virtual reality developments...

I could go on...

That is one thing about tech I can appreciate... I can take decades of books and put them on an iPad or ebook reader and have them wherever I go.

There are lots of good books out there-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I can definitely recommend the "Cross Time Engineer" series. As I recall, there were 3 books? Wonder if he ever wrote any more. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: The hero of that series was Conrad Stargard as I recall. If that's accurate, there are several (up to 8) books out. Looks like I'll have plenty of reading material this Winter.

There was a 9th book released about 3 years ago - apparently from either notes or a manuscript prior to Frankowski's death.

To the OP - there was another series along the lines of what you describe. The Seafort Saga series by David Feintuch. First book was Midshipman's Hope. Seven books prior to the author's death. Apparently an eight, but no movement on publishing it. The series might have been inspired by the Horatio Hornblower series.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
To the OP - there was another series along the lines of what you describe. The Seafort Saga series by David Feintuch. First book was Midshipman's Hope. Seven books prior to the author's death. Apparently an eight, but no movement on publishing it. The series might have been inspired by the Horatio Hornblower series.

Thank you, will look into that series as well.

Mike

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I finally picked up book 2&3 of the Mars trilogy (Red, Blue, Green). Those books are a little sci-fi mixed with a ton of politics if that’s your things. Finished Red earlier this year and it was pretty good.

I think they were the best of Robinsons writings.
Our stupid local library purged those books recently, during a period of tossing "un-circulated" books.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys have mentioned a number of classic sci fi series. There's a lot of great books out there with a core of brilliant writers like Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, and others. I originally read a lot of these books back when I was younger, Navy days and while traveling and sailing.
Some books have stuck with me more than others over the years.

I liked the Grimes series because Chandler had some life messages in the Grimes stories.
He was a real-life ship captain and was a pretty interesting chap.

Here's a few more that I still enjoy to re-read after years-

Harry Harrison- (in particular the Stainless Steel Rat- would make a great film run if done properly), also the "Deathworld" trilogy.

Joe Haldeman- "The Forever War" and his other books.

Piers Anthony- "Blue Adept" series...

Frederik Pohl- "Gateway" series-

Tad Williams- "Otherland" series. (And we are almost there in tech).

William Gibson and Neal Stephenson also touch on a lot of future highly probable tech (like social media future evolution), virtual reality developments...

I could go on...

That is one thing about tech I can appreciate... I can take decades of books and put them on an iPad or ebook reader and have them wherever I go.

There are lots of good books out there-

to add,

Varley's Wizard Demon and cannot remember the 3rd book title, all pretty good

Niven's Ringworld books would make a good movie if done right as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I haven't read them since I was 20 or so but Piers Anthony series on the incarnations of immortality beginning with "On A Pale Horse" were among my favorites. The first book about a human who finds himself in the job of Thanatos-The Grim Reaper. Pick that book up and you'll want to read the rest.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Man, I used to read Piers Anthony out at sea in the Navy. When I was on the Iowa, we had a command sweep urinalysis test. We found out at quarters and they were doing in a single head near the MA office. I got in line about 0800. I had a brand new copy of On A Pale Horse on me that I had not started. I started the book when I got in line and finished it around 1300 and took my turn shortly after! I also read the Xanth series. I actually live near Lake Ogrechobie!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post