SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help finding a Sci Fi book series.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding a Sci Fi book series. Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
You guys have mentioned a number of classic sci fi series. There's a lot of great books out there with a core of brilliant writers like Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, and others. I originally read a lot of these books back when I was younger, Navy days and while traveling and sailing.
Some books have stuck with me more than others over the years.

I liked the Grimes series because Chandler had some life messages in the Grimes stories.
He was a real-life ship captain and was a pretty interesting chap.

Here's a few more that I still enjoy to re-read after years-

Harry Harrison- (in particular the Stainless Steel Rat- would make a great film run if done properly), also the "Deathworld" trilogy.

Joe Haldeman- "The Forever War" and his other books.

Piers Anthony- "Blue Adept" series...

Frederik Pohl- "Gateway" series-

Tad Williams- "Otherland" series. (And we are almost there in tech).

William Gibson and Neal Stephenson also touch on a lot of future highly probable tech (like social media future evolution), virtual reality developments...

I could go on...

That is one thing about tech I can appreciate... I can take decades of books and put them on an iPad or ebook reader and have them wherever I go.

There are lots of good books out there-

to add,

Varley's Wizard Demon and cannot remember the 3rd book title, all pretty good

Niven's Ringworld books would make a good movie if done right as well

Titan, Wizard, Demon in that order. All great. His Red Thunder and the others in that series are also great.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Harry Harrison- (in particular the Stainless Steel Rat- would make a great film run if done properly)

I read some of those quite a few years ago - interesting series - who would you nominate to play the part?

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I haven't read them since I was 20 or so but Piers Anthony series on the incarnations of immortality beginning with "On A Pale Horse" were among my favorites. The first book about a human who finds himself in the job of Thanatos-The Grim Reaper. Pick that book up and you'll want to read the rest.

When I was in high school my friend (now my husband) gave 'On a Pale Horse' to me as I was leaving his house, saying, "Here, I think you'll like this." I accepted it to humor him, sure that I would not like it since I was not into science fiction at all. I gave it back to him the next day... after I stayed up all night finishing it.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post