SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    165 greatest American movies ever made
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

165 greatest American movies ever made Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Interesting stuff. First installment here: http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...s-ever-made-150-165/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Too many Woody Allen films appeared on this list... IMHO, no one single Woody Allen film should be in anyone's top 165, let alone 3-4 of them. YMMV, but there it is.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1600 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. No Schindlers List? Wasn't it an American film?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's one man's opinion. And a rather questionable one at that. Anyone who puts Smokey & The Bandit one spot below Patton is someone who clearly doesn't get out to see much sunlight and breathe fresh air.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are questions on the rankings. Immediately seen with To Kill a Mockingbird ranked 164. There are gems in the dialogue though.

"So wait five years. Then watch this canary in the freedom mine again, and what you will discover is that we have a little less freedom than we did the year before.

In 1974 Blazing Saddles was a classic comedy. Thanks to the left’s fascist war on speech, and a cowardly and feckless community of film writers who refuse to push back, Blazing Saddles is something even better today — deliciously, joyously, deliriously subversive."

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Yes, there are questions on the rankings. Immediately seen with To Kill a Mockingbird ranked 164. There are gems in the dialogue though.

"So wait five years. Then watch this canary in the freedom mine again, and what you will discover is that we have a little less freedom than we did the year before.

In 1974 Blazing Saddles was a classic comedy. Thanks to the left’s fascist war on speech, and a cowardly and feckless community of film writers who refuse to push back, Blazing Saddles is something even better today — deliciously, joyously, deliriously subversive."

There very well indeed may be questions with the overall rankings, but in my opinion he absolutely nailed it with his number 1 ranking. I am mesmerized by this film every time I watch it, and I do so often!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Searchers is a true classic. And no one did it better than John Ford.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I doubt I’m alone when I say please feel free to spoil away at what the results are

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
there are not 140 better movies than raiders of the lost ark.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've never seen The Searchers, but I will rectify that this weekend.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The author doesn't seem to be a fan of sci-fi/fantasy at all. Amazing to me that a list 165 long doesn't include Alien, Aliens, Terminator, and the LOTR triology. (unless I missesd 'em while skimming the list.) Those films, IMO, are tops in their respective genres.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
Too many Woody Allen films appeared on this list... IMHO, no one single Woody Allen film should be in anyone's top 165, let alone 3-4 of them. YMMV, but there it is.

This alone stopped me from reading the list.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

This alone stopped me from reading the list.

I don't think he can be ignored. Allen has always been a whiny little bitch, jokey if not hilarious. The less he appears in his films the better.

"Hannah and Her Sisters" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors" may involve some unlikable characters, too provincial NYC for everyone but insightful and instructive of given mindsets. You don't have to agree with them to find value. "Hannah" is particularly interesting in that an alleged male could write a female centered film that rings so true.

"Zelig" is iconic in its way.

"Annie Hall" is probably Allen's best received and I absolutely hate it. Real life Woody is awful, just like Alvy Singer.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I stopped reading when I saw the placement of The Godfather Trilogy.

I'll admit the third installment was crap but the first two are very near the top of my personal list. The old days of cinema when character development was a thing.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I stopped reading when I saw the placement of The Godfather Trilogy.

I'll admit the third installment was crap but the first two are very near the top of my personal list. The old days of cinema when character development was a thing.

This and Citizen Kane. Both ranked in the 120s.
So Nolte thought a bunch of Woody Allen films, along with Smokey & the Bandit, Malcolm X, Menace II Society, Tucker, Shaft, etc. were better films Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
the key when perusing other people's film lists, be it top 10, 165, or The 1,000 Greatest Films, is not to compare to your list of where you'd put what movie, but to find new films that you'd never think of seeing, and maybe try them out. it's never ending, as no one can see them all.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
..Citizen Kane...

"Sight & Sound" is a long time, highly respected film publication. They've had an all-time, world wide greatest list for decades, voted on by top directors and critics. "Citizen Kane" has topped that list many times. Buster Keaton's "The General" is some folks' greatest film and surely deserves mention here.

Such lists like this, produced by dilettantes, can be taken only so seriously. One man's opinion is just that.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Searchers is fantastic, but Casablanca remains my number 1.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
165 greatest American movies ever made
According to whom?

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post