Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat Ballou Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Cat Ballou is coming on Grit TV in a few minutes and I'm really torn. As much as I despise Jane Fonda, I think it was one of Lee Marvin's greatest roles (not to mention the drunk horse Big Grin ). I guess I'll tune in and see which emotion prevails.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was hot, crazy, and single when the movie was made (married for the first time later that year, according to Wikipedia). Leer away and don't think about the politics she got into a few years later.

If Lee Marvin, a Marine, could stand to be with her then, enjoy in his honor. It really was his best role.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee Marvin, sobering up and ready to draw and show what he can do, but unsteady on his feet. Hesitating. "Well, what's holding you up?"...
"No gun." And probably a dozen other great camera moments (like the one above). An old favorite; saw it when it first came out.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
As much as I despise Jane Fonda...

Then let this warm your heart.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
One of my all-time parts is when the train conductor refuses to give the combo to the safe. Marvin shoots his hat off and the guy rattles off the combo as quick as he can.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Best line in the whole movie is when the Indian is talking about the looks of Lee Marvin's eyes and "The Kid" replies, "You ought'a see 'em from my side".

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He did it! He missed the barn!

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the Lee Marvin role was meant to be a parody of his Liberty Valance character.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the only Fonda movie my Dad will watch-he flew over 200 missions over North Vietnam in Skyhawks. His love of Lee Marvin and Nat King Cole outweigh his disgust with Fonda-most of the time.

Posts: 67 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post