SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hulu, are you worth it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hulu, are you worth it? Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I am shutting down Netflix for reasons discussed already. I am looking at Hulu and some of the programming and it looks promising. Is it worth it, or is it another Netflix with woke programming etc.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will be hard pressed to find any of these video services (brain freeze on terminology) that are not woke, spun, spinned, SJW etc..

I had it for at least two, maybe three years and the only reason I cancelled it was due to the fact that the Corporate suites I stayed in for over two years had Direct TV with over 300 channels.

With all the free sites that came out/released such as Tubi, Pluto etc.. I just don't feel the need to renew my subscription.

It does have some SJW, woke shows/movies but I don't feel it is as blatant and in your face as soon as you login/open the web page like Amazon, or Netflix. I could be wrong though, I haven't been on it in a while so things may have changed.

It does have a lot of the older shows I loved when I was growing up such as Hill Street Blues and Hunter.

I had the $6 a month plan with commercials.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
All services have a wide variety of shows to cater to different types. I find Hulu has far more shows from regular cable television. Personally, the primary thing I watch on Hulu is Letterkenny.

I think Justified is now on Hulu

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a free (with ads) subscription through my Spotify account. If it weren't for that I would not have it. I do watch it occasionally, but there is just not a lot of content on there that I'm interested in. I mainly watch archer, letter kenny, and Rick & Morty. My wife likes the HGTV type shows, and that's about it. My big gripe is that the interface (on a Roku) is not the best and makes it difficult to find new shows to watch. The movie selection is meh.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are rewatching Justified on Hulu. So it’s worth it right now

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like mrapteam666, with all the free streaming sites I saw no need for any of the pay ones. Sure the free ones have commercials and don't have the "latest and greatest" programming. But I consider that a small price to pay. YMMV

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I received a promo special for $2.00 a month (can't remember why) so I signed up for a year. Their claim to fame is The Handmaid's Tale winning many awards. I tried to get inot it a few times, but it's not my cup o' tea. There are a few other worthwhile shows/movies but unless they offer some pricing incentive after my promo period is up, I'll not be renewing. Nose around at their site and see if the programing interesting to you. They do have a nice clean interface and things are easy to find.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I did the 2.00 a month promo too. It just ended thanks for reminding me to cancel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got Hulu to watch Das Boot, Rick & Morty, and the Stephen King 11.22.63 miniseries.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise. I have signed up for the free month, I am watching Archer, and need to check out Rick and Morty. I have not seen it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Stephen King 11.22.63 miniseries

did you like this series? Worth watching?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Well I am caught up on Archer and just discovered they have Pinky and the Brain. . . .

Ok this is pretty cool so far.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I only lasted about two weeks with Hulu due to the GUI.

Navigating around just sucked (for me).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Navigating around just sucked (for me).

I also hate navigating Hulu! Don't use it much, but it was only $2 a month during a Black Friday promo.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
And their suggested algorithm well . . . It does not work. I have found that I just search for a show I am interested in and see if they have it. But so far, the wife and I are in agreement. We will keep it for now.

I watched the pilot for Rick and Morty last night. WTF is going on? Is there a Rick and Morty thread I can read?*

*used search button . . . found thread . . . what a dope.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've never found Hulu to be worth it. Just looked, again, recently.

The only package that might have done it for us was the one that offers Fox News. But that's $55/mo. No way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Originally when I first started streaming TV a couple months ago I subscribed to HULU, cancelled and went to PHILO. Basically both those subscriptions were just to view some of the network programming like the HIST channel and TRAVEL. I'm actually thinking about cancelling PHILO now. I cancelled Netflix and downloaded Amazon Prime just recently.

Thats one of the great features of streaming TV to begin with is that you can jump ship and move on to other programming easily. Since I have an OTA antenna and a Tablo DVR for catching and/or recording any local broadcasts, I'm finding that between the OTA and Amazon Prime, it's more than enough content for just me alone. Now that would lighten my monthly bill considerably, which is the original reasons I dumped AT&T Direct TV's monthly rising costs and hours I spent each year renegotiating my contract. I can't say I miss those nagging calls.

Now I just have the one AT&T internet fee and a couple $$ for the streaming apps. OTA/Tablo DVR is free, so it's a few $$ for Amazon Prime, and PHILO which I'm considering cancelling because I hardly watch the network content anymore.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Sling Blue...$30

Have Hulu but contemplating dumping them in favor of Sling Blue plus a couple of their channel packs (for extra $5 per mo "Hollywood Extra" has TCM, Sundance, etc...)

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
We've never found Hulu to be worth it. Just looked, again, recently.

The only package that might have done it for us was the one that offers Fox News. But that's $55/mo. No way.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Sling Blue...$30

There's nothing on Sling Blue we necessarily want except Fox News. Not interested in paying $30/mo. for Fox News.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just signed up for Hulu after finding that they have Justified, The Practice, The Shield (cop show with Michael Chiklis) and Denny Crane (aka Boston Legal). Good shows that are worth watching in addition to others previously mentioned

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post