SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is it free with Prime?

yes

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Finished the season and my overall opinion was that I enjoyed it and look forward to the next season, but it just isn’t Jack Ryan.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevbo nailed it. I'm going to have to watch it over because I slept through half of it. Wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched, but I expected more out of it, based on the hype prior to its release.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Also, I'm in the minority because I didn't like the Ryan character.

I'm not particularly fond of him, either.

This Jack Ryan character is not "based upon" Clancy's Jack Ryan. Clancy's Jack Ryan wasn't a clueless, angst-ridden wuss.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Also, I'm in the minority because I didn't like the Ryan character.

I'm not particularly fond of him, either.

This Jack Ryan character is not "based upon" Clancy's Jack Ryan. Clancy's Jack Ryan wasn't a clueless, angst-ridden wuss.

But he was kind of a boy scout. (At least he gets called that in C&PD movie.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently halfway I think. UAV guy is in Syria. I dont care for his storyline or his character. I'm also annoyed at the Ryan character. Perhaps they leaned too hard on the boyscout angle but hes going down a stupid path.I'm trying to write it off as a "new guy" thing but its annoying. I do appreciate Greer telling him to get himself together though.

Cant help but notice we are going out of our way to make the bad guy a poor guy whos had it bad his whole life. I'm well aware there are contributing circumstances and I like 3D characters but I feel like its tipping into a "look what we made him do" thing. Not a fan.

If they could reel in the lib nonsense I feel like theres a good show under all that. In fairness I have not finished it yet but thats what I'm feeling so far.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have only seen the first three episodes. Jack, when talking with the French officer, "why is he doing this, he got out, he beat the system (referring to his education)?" to which she replies (IIRC) "in America everyone has a hyphen, but in France, there are two people, french and everyone else . ."

Why is that supposed to explain terrorism? There were a few other barbs that I passed off on because she was french like "...knowing what your government has done, why do you work for the CIA?"

I have grown bored with the whole white America guilt industrial complex, Why cant people grow a pair, and just call evil, evil.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Twas alright, I thought.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished E5 last night, enjoying it so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Finished the series yesterday. I like it. Enjoyed the chemistry between Ryan & Greer. It did have some WTF moments. Those of you who live in or are familiar with the DC area will know what I mean. Looking forward to the second season.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
My wife and I binge-watched it. We liked it, despite some of the Hollywood-ness. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

"CHUCK" anyone?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it too but could have been a little stronger on the Jack Ryan character.
However, after reading the bio of John Krasinski it said he was a big time staunch liberal democrat.
Well, I guess that makes two with the Greer character as Wendell Pierce is as well.
Oh well. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Seems a lot like they keep trying to combine Jack Ryan and John Clark into one character. It would be a lot better if they didn't have one without the other IMO. Maybe he'll make an appearance in season 2, or maybe it'll branch off into what I really want, a Rainbow 6 series Big Grin

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just finished the series yesterday. Not true to the Clancy characters and places, but very enjoyable nonetheless. I will watch the next season, no doubt. I saw Washington Memorial Hospital (a fictional hospital) mentioned in a recent book I read. It must be a standby for a DC hospital in fiction. I am still drooling over the Hilux and series 70 Land Cruiser trucks in the desert scenes.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Seems a lot like they keep trying to combine Jack Ryan and John Clark into one character. It would be a lot better if they didn't have one without the other IMO. Maybe he'll make an appearance in season 2, or maybe it'll branch off into what I really want, a Rainbow 6 series Big Grin

I thought the head Delta dude was the John Clark character...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Bing watched the series and enjoyed it. The question is, what was the knife Ryan tried to give Greer at the end? An interesting gift to the man that lost his last post for stabbing a high level official he was trying to turn.

At the quick glance, the first thing to come to mind was an Ek.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I finished the series and really liked it to. Certainly not perfect but a lot better than most of the other crap on Amazon/Netflix right now.

Overall I thought Krazinski did a good job. I felt like some of his awkwardness was intentional and attributed to him being a newbie with an as-of-yet uncorrupted Boy Scout moral compass. It was funny how obvious it was when he lied about his job since he was so bad at it.

My take was that the bombing of his village was certainly traumatic to Suliman and his brother, but neither was radicalized at that point. Years later as an adult Suliman was still trying to make it in the western world with all of his bank job interviews. It was only once he spent years in prison (assuming with other fundamentalists) that he became radicalized and talked about how his vision was now clear. It was a dramatic change. So I didn't interpret the series as trying to blame the west for "making him that way" with the bombing scene. But it certainly did show how that trauma cemented the bond between him and his brother.

I wasn't all that bothered by Greer being a Muslim either. He said early on that he really only converted to marry his wife, who was now gone. With as much time as he spent living in predominantly muslim nations, meeting a women there that he loved, and converting religions so that he could be married, didn't really seem all that implausible to me. I thought the lightning fast single head shot on the beach in episode 6 showed that Greer was still a field hardened badass who would do what was needed for the mission regardless of the minor role that religion played in his life.

I agree the drone pilot plot was annoying and a complete waste of screen time.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Finished the series late last night. What a steaming pile of crap. Tom Clancy must be rolling in his grave. I am shocked at the positive reviews here. If it wasn't Jack Ryan, it would probably pass for a somewhat entertaining distraction, but it was way too silly and poorly written to ever be associated with that character. Incredibly disappointed.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

https://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-movie/

quote:
Variety reports that Paramount Pictures has developing official film adaptations for two Tom Clancy novels with Michael B. Jordan as the leading man. Jordan will helm the role of ex-Navy Seal John Clark (Clancy's second-most popular character in the "Ryanverse") in both Rainbow Six and Without Remorse, the former of which launched alongside the classic tactical shooter game of the same name in 1998.

Without Remorse will follow the novel in setting up the origins of Clark while Rainbow Six will follow the character as he forms the titular multi-national counterterrorism unit the games are based on. Clark is a long-established character in the Clancy universe and has previously been portrayed in Jack Ryan movies by Liev Schreiber in 2002’s The Sum of All Fears and Willem Dafoe in 1994’s Clear and Present Danger.

Not sure on this one.
Rainbow Six & Without Remorse should both make for good movies, hope they can do them justice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post