SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I watched the trailer it is going to be tough.

Jim is Jim and always will be Jim no matter how good a show he is now in.

Same with Tony Soprano, while a good actor James was always and will always be Tony to me and takes away from all I have seen him in.

I have to admit I was wrong. We finished this up last night and enjoyed it and thankfully I did not see Jim as the character.
Not the greatest show ever but certainly hoping for a season 2.

We watched an episode and evening after the kids were in bed so I did not analyze the thing as much as some folks.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw somewhere on the web that there is a season 2 cast that has been signed. I'm hoping they follow through with another seasons.
SPOILER BELOW

What's going to happen in Russia? We need season 2 to find out.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Not loving it. Watchable, but Jack Ryan as a pussy is not flying with me.

I was prepared to hate Jim Greer as a Muslim, but at least he has a pair.

The drone pilot is definitely in the wrong line of work. He might want to look into a career as a WalMart greeter or something. I am curious to see how his trip to Syria is going to work out for him tho.

I don't think Tom Clancy would approve.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Finished the series last night.

I liked it. It might help that I'm not familiar with the Clancy books.

It might help also that I'm unfamiliar with the DC area.

My guess on the drone guy is they are building him up for next season.

It was entertainment and met my expectations as entertainment.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Not loving it. Watchable, but Jack Ryan as a pussy is not flying with me.

I was prepared to hate Jim Greer as a Muslim, but at least he has a pair.

The drone pilot is definitely in the wrong line of work. He might want to look into a career as a WalMart greeter or something. I am curious to see how his trip to Syria is going to work out for him tho.

I don't think Tom Clancy would approve.

Kinda thought Jack Ryan was always a "pussy." He was never really written or portrayed as man of action so much as doing what was forced on him. Analyst, policy maker, so on... John Clark (John T. Kelly) was Clancy's do all bad man working in the shadows.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Just finished binge watching it, and I really enjoyed it. I also don't think Krasinski is the best casting choice, but I can live with it. Not much relation to Jack Ryan from the books, but a very enjoyable show.I'm in for Season 2 when it comes.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just watched the series, was off sick from work.

I like it, but no way a CIA analyst and former Marine would be that naïve about how things get done.

And Abby Cornish is hot.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Season 3 is up.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Season 3 is up.

Watched the first two episodes last night.
Not bad, storyline is good albeit not new ... rogue agent who's trying to do good... blah blah.
Never liked who they cast but whatta you going to do? Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Yeah, I've had a hard time getting on board with the Greer actor. I just don't find him very believable. And, of course, they had to make him a muslim. Roll Eyes

I'm a few episodes in as well. It's OK. There's a whole lot of moving parts in this season, and you kind of have to stretch your imagination a bit. But, I like this genre, so I'm enjoying it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

You don't think Gym Halpert makes for a believable special operations superspy? Big Grin

Yeah, I struggle with it as well. I want to like him, but...

(Oh, and for those who don't get the reference...)

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Watched Ep. 1 today. Looks good enough for mindless entertainment……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, it bears a striking resemblance to the Hunt For Red October.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess my standards are lower, I think this season is pretty damn good.

BTW, I never watched The Office, so I’m not dealing with the ghost of an old comedy show.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I guess my standards are lower, I think this season is pretty damn good.

BTW, I never watched The Office, so I’m not dealing with the ghost of an old comedy show.

Me either! I didn't even know who this 'Jim' was they have been talking about.

So far, I'm enjoying the series. Just finished episode 3 last night.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Well, it bears a striking resemblance to the Hunt For Red October.

Plot-wise, it's like a cross between Hunt for Red October and Sum of All Fears.

But I enjoyed it. I've never really thought Krasinski was a great casting choice, but overall, I thought the 3rd season was well done and very much worth watching.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Binge watched the series with my girlfriend on Xmas. I fell asleep in the middle of the season and missed 1-2 episodes. Woke back up, pieced the whole thing together and guessed the predictable ending by episode 7.

It was ok. I give it 6/10. Would be nice if they were true to the character. Jack Ryan is a CIA analyst, not a field operative yet they have him doing more field work than analysis.

Jack Ryan is probably one of the most butchered characters in the last 25 years and part of that is because they keep changing the actor who plays him. Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck, Chris Pine and now John Krasinski. Baldwin and Ford played Ryan the best, however I believe much of that has to do with both those roles staying true to the "analyst" Ryan is vs. "field operative" to make Ryan much more of an action hero than he's supposed to be.

I like Krasinski but there's something off about his portrayal of Ryan. As others have mentioned he comes off like a pussy and constantly has this worried look about him while solving complex schemes too easily/quickly/conveniently. For example in "Patriot Games" Harrison Ford spent most of the movie doing actual analysis just to come up with sat photos of tits and a bald headed guy with sunburns to make an educated guess of which camp the IRA was training at. In this series it just seems like Krasinski is uncovering bombshell after bombshell while running around with tactical gear and an M4. It's almost as if Jack Ryan is Jack Bauer.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure that Jack Ryan hasn't morphed into Jack Ryan, Jr, at least that's who I think of when I watch these series.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As much as I detest Alec Baldwin, he was the best “true to form” Jack Ryan from the books.

But I understand the “new” Jack Ryan. I do not believe they would have high ratings with a series without the running around with a M4 in tactical gear. I really believe the audience is less cerebral about plot and more visual about staying connected with the character by what action scene comes next.

To put it bluntly, if the rub doesn’t come easy (and predictable), the studio won’t have viewers.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I started season 3 last night. I enjoyed what I've seen so far.

As to complaints about it not following the real Jack Ryan, I get it. But on it's own, I still find the story and acting entertaining. I guess I'm not a purist as far as that is concerned.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post