SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
In the movies Ryan is a USNA grad, but the books I think he is a BC grad

(Remember in the hunt for red October when the Captain doesn’t like him wearing the uniform, and the admiral played by Fred Thompson asks if the captain saw the ring on his finger...”academy, class of 78...)

I am looking forward to this series

Actually he is both. He was a Naval Academy Graduate, commissioned ad Marine Officer, got injured and medical discharge. He went to Boston College where he got his Masters and Doctorate degrees (and got connected with Jesuit Priest who knows everyone in the intelligence world). Went to work for Cathy's Dad, made a ton of money, married Cathy who introduced him to a great back surgeon who fixed Jack's back. Bored with Wall Street, Jack became a teacher at Naval Academy and consulted with CIA who eventually brought him in full time (when Irish terrorists came after him and his family).

Not that I have read all the books....several times each. Big Grin

His cover is working logistics for the State Department. After I got out of the military with my bacholor's degree, I got several unsolicited job offers from Federal agencies; Bureau of Prisons, Department of Energy, and a Certain Intelligence Agency that will remain nameless. I went on a 3 day paid job interview and testing with them. One of things you weren't allowed to do is tell anyone where you really work. No, I am not kidding. Only reason I didn't take it was the pay sucked badly as you would be stationed in Washington DC area for a few years (doing security and picking up a couple languages) before going overseas to be bodyguard for station chiefs. This was right after William Buckley Beirut Station Chief was kidnapped and eventually killed.

At the time Washington DC was so expensive and the starting salary was so low that I would have had to live 2 to 3 hours away to afford it or get 3 or 4 other people to pitch in and get a heavily used crack house in a war zone neighborhood.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
IIRC, Krasinski was the dude that posted on FB a video of him and Chris Pratt after they ran a Memorial Day Murph.

Seems like a solid dude.

There's an interview show on Netflix entitled Off Camera with Sam Jones (Jones is a photographer and director), low key interviews - but not standard fluff - a bit artsy I suppose, and there's an episode with Krasinski. I haven't watched that one yet but I enjoyed a few of the others. Might be worth checking out...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Spoiler!!

Of course the main bad guy is only bad because westerners (almost certainly Americans) blew up his peaceful innocent family. Our fault... again. Roll Eyes

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are on episode 4

The static defense of the Black site was piss poor....

And my wife pointed out the pancreas is not on the side the Arabic guy got shot on

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Spoiler!!

Of course the main bad guy is only bad because westerners (almost certainly Americans) blew up his peaceful innocent family. Our fault... again. Roll Eyes

I took it to be the Israelis.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The date (1983) means it could be Israeli, US or French, honestly...The US air strikes in late 1983 after the bombing of the marine barracks in Beruit could be it, or both the Israelis and French bombed Lebanon in November 1983....so, who knows

SPOILER

I’m on episode 6 now, but given that the first gas attack happened in Paris (and since there are only 3 more episodes (6-8)), it looks like it might be the French raids just before thanksgiving 1983

(And the jets in the opening scene looked delta winged to me, which could easily be Mirages...probably mirage 3s...although the Israelis flew the mirage 3 as well)

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Spoiler!!

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Meh...

I'm 3 episodes in and want to like it but, without trying to be too much of a spoiler, they've added way to much self righteous Hollywood PC bullshit; ie the silly PTSD UAV operator storyline, Greer is a Muslim, etc. GTFOH.

I'm sure I'll continue to watch but I'm probably going to be pissed about it. It's not really Jack Ryan. Tom Clancy would not approve. Neither of those two names should be associated with this series; they carry certain expectations.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My time is so limited and after reading this thread, I think I'll skip it. Too bad...I was looking forward to it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Meh...

I'm 3 episodes in and want to like it but, without trying to be too much of a spoiler, they've added way to much self righteous Hollywood PC bullshit; ie the silly PTSD UAV operator storyline, Greer is a Muslim, etc. GTFOH.

I'm sure I'll continue to watch but I'm probably going to be pissed about it. It's not really Jack Ryan. Tom Clancy would not approve. Neither of those two names should be associated with this series; they carry certain expectations.

I am 3 episodes in and feel the same way.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it a chance. Krasinski is good as Ryan, and is our kind of people...look at his work in and around 13 hours in benghazi

The drone pilot is a little irritating but I get it too. There is something to the video game war thing.

And the Greer thing isn’t in your face either. I haven’t been bothered by it at all. Maybe it’s becaude I have Muslim friends that would absolutely exterminate every jihadi motherfucker tomorrow if they could so he reminds me more of them so it doesn’t bother me

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
My time is so limited and after reading this thread, I think I'll skip it. Too bad...I was looking forward to it.

——————————————————

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I agree. I enjoyed watching the first season. Ya gotta expect the PC horse shit and try to ignore it.

It wasn't too bad - just don't expect multiple orgasms.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
quote:

The drone pilot is a little irritating but I get it too. There is something to the video game war thing.

I kept waiting for the drone pilot to become crucial to the plot but it never happened. Maybe next season. If not then there is no reason for his side story.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watched the first two, like it so far.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Spoiler!!

Israelis are proxy Americans.

I'm gonna keep watching though. I like a lot about it. And I freaking love Bunk as Greer.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Mistakes not withstanding I thought it was an excellent series. Great acting, great story, great character development. Well choreographed action sequences. Its got something for everyone, which today is what makes a successful show. Once you get past some obvious flaws its a great watch. I am not a die hard Clancy fan that knows every word in the books, but I do enjoy his stories.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say everything I’ve said was before episodes 6, 7 and 8

It went down a shit sandwich hole very quickly in those 3 episodes

I still really like it

But damn it got WAY fucking worse

And I’m only in episode 7

(And I can see it’s going to worse still....)

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
Ok...so I was huge advocate for this show....

Until the last 3 episodes

SPOILERS FOLLOW

I’m not going to get into it fully but

I DESPISE LAZY WRITING

Marines in that time frame carry M16A2s with ACOGs, not carry handle M4s from 1987 with no optics...and they had no plates in their plate carrier (or anything else that resembled a combat load...like camelbaks, spare Mags, personal med kits, etc)

There is no fucking way the kid is given an internet enable device

There is no way JSOC rescues hostages, and they don’t go into quarantine for a full medical debrief, including medical tests that would detect Ebola...and they sure as shit don’t go straight to hugging the president....and it happens OCONUS

You cannot fly internationally into leesburg airport, which is in Loudoun county, Virginia. There is a reason they are called regional airports. I get that they needed to have him fly in there, and there is no nearby international airport. Oh wait, loudoun county is where Dulles fucking is...leesburg is practically next door to Dulles...

There is no way anyone with confirmed Ebola is at Johns Hopkins. They are at a biosafety level 4 facility. There are 11 in the US. The four in the DC area are at NIH and USAMRIID (3 of the 11 in the US are part of Ft Dietrich in Maryland where USAMRIID is located)

The president would never be at Johns Hopkins

He would also be at one of the aforementioned BSL-4 labs until he was cleared, at which point, at best he is at Bethesda, but more likely he is at an undisclosed secure location (camp David, for example, with private medical staff)

There is no fucking way the president, Vice President and speaker of the house are all in one place after a major terrorist attack in the US. And certainly not in a public hospital accessible BY THE FUCKING PUBLIC

Ugh. I’ll stop there....there is more (like the drone operator really was just to make us feel guilty about our evil ways....when he was introduced I thought how his fit of conscience coincidentally sprung the wife was fine...when he showed up in Turkey and asked to go to Syria I thought....this motherfucker is about to become an Ebola delivery system...but...nope...just American guilt)

This all happened in episode 6,7 and 8

Everything I’ve just typed is easily verifiable via google in basically 15 minutes.

AND FUCKING FINALLY

How lazy do you have to be to not open up a fucking map...when Ryan was biking through rowhouses more appropriate for Capitol Hill or Georgetown, and then somehow pulled up in front of the CIA which is across the river in Virginia in a rural area down the GW parkway, I thought “ok, flavor....”. But. No. They just are incapable of reading a map.

Annandale is in Virginia, not Maryland. If you type the word Annandale into google the first thing that shows up is Annandale High School in Fairfax, VA

The president is said to be at Johns Hopkins. Which is in Baltimore.

They blow up a pizzeria in Georgetown, which is in northwest DC

And they bring the trauma patients to Johns Hopkins....in Baltimore. That’s literally more than an hour by car.

They then run by foot from the hospital, Johns Hopkins, which again, is in Baltimore, to a nearby metro station....the metro, of course, being in DC....

They then run down the tracks a bit....and somehow end up outside Nats Park in southeast DC...on the other side of DC from Georgetown (which doesn’t have a metro station fwiw, but that’s irrelevant because they went to Baltimore)

So they basically ran from Baltimore (which has no subway) to southeast DC via the metro lines.

This isn’t next level shit that requires you to live in this area. My 6 year old can look at a map and see Baltimore and DC aren’t the same town....

Anyway....I’m not mad I watched it. But you can tell it was written by liberals...lazy liberals....the bleeding heart that is Ryan..the drone pilot....Greer is a Muslim...the “they’re just like us bullshit story with the “innocent” Muslim that got droned (with an AK on his back by the way. Lazy, lazy bleeding heart motherfuckers.

What’s sad is this isn’t “getting into it fully”.

——————————————————

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok...so I was huge advocate for this show....

Until the last 3 episodes

SPOILERS FOLLOW

I’m not going to get into it fully but

I DESPISE LAZY WRITING

Marines in that time frame carry M16A2s with ACOGs, not carry handle M4s from 1987 with no optics...and they had no plates in their plate carrier (or anything else that resembled a combat load...like camelbaks, spare Mags, personal med kits, etc)

There is no fucking way the kid is given an internet enable device

There is no way JSOC rescues hostages, and they don’t go into quarantine for a full medical debrief, including medical tests that would detect Ebola...and they sure as shit don’t go straight to hugging the president....and it happens OCONUS

You cannot fly internationally into leesburg airport, which is in Loudoun county, Virginia. There is a reason they are called regional airports. I get that they needed to have him fly in there, and there is no nearby international airport. Oh wait, loudoun county is where Dulles fucking is...leesburg is practically next door to Dulles...

There is no way anyone with confirmed Ebola is at Johns Hopkins. They are at a biosafety level 4 facility. There are 11 in the US. The four in the DC area are at NIH and USAMRIID (3 of the 11 in the US are part of Ft Dietrich in Maryland where USAMRIID is located)

The president would never be at Johns Hopkins

He would also be at one of the aforementioned BSL-4 labs until he was cleared, at which point, at best he is at Bethesda, but more likely he is at an undisclosed secure location (camp David, for example, with private medical staff)

There is no fucking way the president, Vice President and speaker of the house are all in one place after a major terrorist attack in the US. And certainly not in a public hospital accessible BY THE FUCKING PUBLIC

Ugh. I’ll stop there....there is more (like the drone operator really was just to make us feel guilty about our evil ways....when he was introduced I thought how his fit of conscience coincidentally sprung the wife was fine...when he showed up in Turkey and asked to go to Syria I thought....this motherfucker is about to become an Ebola delivery system...but...nope...just American guilt)

This all happened in episode 6,7 and 8

Everything I’ve just typed is easily verifiable via google in basically 15 minutes.

AND FUCKING FINALLY

How lazy do you have to be to not open up a fucking map...when Ryan was biking through rowhouses more appropriate for Capitol Hill or Georgetown, and then somehow pulled up in front of the CIA which is across the river in Virginia in a rural area down the GW parkway, I thought “ok, flavor....”. But. No. They just are incapable of reading a map.

Annandale is in Virginia, not Maryland. If you type the word Annandale into google the first thing that shows up is Annandale High School in Fairfax, VA

The president is said to be at Johns Hopkins. Which is in Baltimore.

They blow up a pizzeria in Georgetown, which is in northwest DC

And they bring the trauma patients to Johns Hopkins....in Baltimore. That’s literally more than an hour by car.

They then run by foot from the hospital, Johns Hopkins, which again, is in Baltimore, to a nearby metro station....the metro, of course, being in DC....

They then run down the tracks a bit....and somehow end up outside Nats Park in southeast DC...on the other side of DC from Georgetown (which doesn’t have a metro station fwiw, but that’s irrelevant because they went to Baltimore)

So they basically ran from Baltimore (which has no subway) to southeast DC via the metro lines.

This isn’t next level shit that requires you to live in this area. My 6 year old can look at a map and see Baltimore and DC aren’t the same town....

Anyway....I’m not mad I watched it. But you can tell it was written by liberals...lazy liberals....the bleeding heart that is Ryan..the drone pilot....Greer is a Muslim...the “they’re just like us bullshit story with the “innocent” Muslim that got droned (with an AK on his back by the way. Lazy, lazy bleeding heart motherfuckers.

What’s sad is this isn’t “getting into it fully”.

Damn that is more that spoilers, Big Grin

I made it to episode 6 last night, not sure if I'll finish the series or not One thing I know, I NEVER watch any movie as in depth as y'all are and pay attention to all these details! Holy Cow! For me a movie is background noise while I do real life things.

I think I'll just watch Firefly again..

Smile

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The VAST majority of their audience either didn't notice a lot of those things, or don't care as they are simply watching to be entertained. It's fiction for crying out loud. Just a story.

For me, shows like ER or Grey's Anatomy or House or whatever medical show there is out there are just comical in their portrayal of actual medicine. I could pick out error after error after error, some of which being so silly you can't believe they'd put it in there. But, I still used to watch them just to be entertained with the various storylines. They, too, are fiction. Just a way to turn your mind off for an hour.

If the inaccuracies bother you that much, don't watch. I'm sure it won't matter to them and millions of other people will watch, and like, the show.

The one thing I'll agree with you on is making Greer a muslim. That was intentional and just ridiculous and completely unnecessary to the storyline.

Also, I must've missed an episode or something as I couldn't figure out what the drone pilot had to do with anything.

And why do drone pilots wear flight suits? Never could understand that one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Season 2. I liked the show. Krasinski makes a GREAT Jack Ryan (much better than Affleck and arguably better than Ford).

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recognize that a lot of what I said is nitpicking....the issue is not that it is wrong....the issue is how easy it would have been to make it right

The president is the only one that mattered as a target

He is the only one you see on camera....the line about the VP and SotH was just dropped to make it sound scarier....because a radiological attack that kills POTUS wasn’t enough...somebody with no knowledge of government made it “edgier”

It’s bad, lazy writing, and that’s my issue

None of what I pointed out required any sort of in depth research

You could literally answer every item I complained about by conducting 15 minutes in google searches

They’re getting paid a lot of money to do this...

It’s not that hard to pick a hospital in DC relatively close to Nats Park.

As I said...I still enjoyed the show...but they protrayed the geography of Paris more accurately than the geography Washington, DC....

You say the medical stuff bothers you....how hard would it be to put the place the brother got shot on the right side....you know...where the pancreas actually is.....I don’t think it’s too hard to google “what side is the pancreas on” if you’re going to have a doctor in your show say “the bullet missed your pancreas by 1cm”. Yes, the vast majority of people don’t know that if you get shot in the left of your abdomen and it barely missed your pancreas then you’ve got bigger issues....but it is a trivial matter that was easy to get right...

I don’t think you need a medical expert, a marine expert, a cartographer, a former congressman, etc on your staff to make an accurate tv show

One intern with an iPad and an internet connection isn’t that much to ask

——————————————————