SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jack Ryan Series on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It wasn't too bad - just don't expect multiple orgasms.

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

The president is said to be at Johns Hopkins. Which is in Baltimore.

When did they say this? The hospital where Cathy works and where the president is treated is a fictional place called Washington Memorial Hospital.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It was one of the CIA guys that said Hopkins, im Pretty sure after Ryan figures out the hostages are the Ebola carriers

After I typed that I wondered if we were just supposed to assume that they were moved to Washington hospital since we see Cathy there, or if they brought Cathy to them because of her expertise....I’m pretty sure it’s never really positively said

I am almost positive they mention Hopkins (where I will be on 9/23)

But I know she worked at Washington hospital center. Which is probably GW....that would make things a bit less wonky...now youre only compressing DC instead of amalgamating DC and Baltimore

quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

The president is said to be at Johns Hopkins. Which is in Baltimore.

When did they say this? The hospital where Cathy works and where the president is treated is a fictional place called Washington Memorial Hospital.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Don't know that I'm gonna watch the series.

But this "promo mashup" combining scenes from The OFfice and Jack Ryan to create "Jim Ryan" is hilarious.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Her hospital in the show is called Washington Memorial. It’s on her lab coat and when Jack asks Greer where all the ambulances are going, he also says Washington memorial.

I really enjoyed the series as well. Krasinki is a great actor.

Posts: 587 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The only time I heard anuthing about Johns Hopkins is when Suleiman tells the customs agent his son is having a liver transplant at JH.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
That might be it, and I’m confusing my hospitals.

I’m happy to admit I’m wrong on that point...

I still think the writing was extremely lazy

I like Krasinski....I thought the way they wrote his character got worse as the series went on

My favorite characters were Greer and Garth (who I think is Clark from the books)

I did, by the end, feel like I was getting beaten over the head with a guilt trip and the whole “you can do this without doing bad things” mantra

I will watch season 2

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The only time I heard anuthing about Johns Hopkins is when Suleiman tells the customs agent his son is having a liver transplant at JH.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over all we enjoyed the show, we'll watch the second season shows if Amazon makes another one.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
(N.B.: I did not read Kevbo's comments beyond "I DESPISE LAZY WRITING." My wife and I are enjoying the series, so far, and I don't want it ruined for me.)

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
The VAST majority of their audience either didn't notice a lot of those things, or don't care as they are simply watching to be entertained. It's fiction for crying out loud. Just a story.

Indeed.

We're on episode... I dunno, Ryan just figured out... (trying to avoid spoilers...) "the weapon thing."

Having read all of the Clancy novels at least twice, if not 3-4 times, I could pick this thing apart seven ways from Sunday. But it's not meant to be faithful to any particular novel's storyline--or even the individuals' storylines. (E.g.: Cathy was an eye doc in the books.) Even w/in its own framework: Ryan is supposed to be this wizard of an analyst, but doesn't grok How Things Work in the Mideast?

Some surprising stuff they do get right. E.g.: The "weaponizing" difficultly.

So, yeah: There's plenty to criticize. I'm just letting it roll off and enjoying the ride for what it is. My wife and I are binging on it and quite enjoying it.

quote:
For me, shows like ER or Grey's Anatomy or House or whatever medical show there is out there are just comical in their portrayal of actual medicine. I could pick out error after error after error, some of which being so silly you can't believe they'd put it in there.

I can just imagine Smile. Being an "IT guy," I can't watch anything that has anything about IT that isn't riddled with impossibilities and silliness. I just chuckle, mumble "it don't work that way" and keep watching.

If I let that stuff ruin entertainment for me, there'd be precious little entertainment I'd enjoy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Nobody is really mentioned Abbie Cornish.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Finally, something important added to the thread! Big Grin

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just watched 2 episodes before losing power to the tropical storm; looks good

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I finished watching the series last night. Kevbo makes a lot of good points. I'll add a couple more:

There's an outside shot showing Ryan walking up a flight of step and into a building. The exterior shot is of the State Department (trust me: I know), but the interior shot has the CIA logo all over the floor. I guess most people won't know that, but it had me doing a double-take.

I also noticed that Tom Clancy is credited as being one of the executive producers. Did they really shoot this whole series before 2013, when he died?

One of the character's real name is Suliman.

SPOILER: When Ryan fires his pistol into the air in the Metro station, everyone immediately drops to the ground, giving his a clear shot at the bad guy. Seriously? If I tried that, I guarantee you half the bystanders there would just stand there looking stupid. The American public is not trained to instinctively hug the ground at the sound of gunfire.

Also, I'm in the minority because I didn't like the Ryan character. At first, I thought it was Krasinski, but I think it's more that he's a milquetoast when he wears a tie and badass when he doesn't. That may be part of the character they're building, but it had me shrugging my shoulders from time to time.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

She's a handsome woman. Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little thick for me (I like 'em skinny) but...yeah...like the fist of an angry God. Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just binge the whole thing today. Not bad. I prefer the brunette that's got the crush for Ryan, Emmanuelle Lussier Martinez.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Halfway through it and enjoying it.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

She's a handsome woman. Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little thick for me (I like 'em skinny) but...yeah...like the fist of an angry God. Big Grin
You can take Julia Roberts and I'll take Abbie. Hey! We could double date. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

I also noticed that Tom Clancy is credited as being one of the executive producers. Did they really shoot this whole series before 2013, when he died?

Executive Producer credit is given, in TV shows and Movies, to people who contribute to the financing or participate in the creative effort--but not necessarily need to have worked on set.

Credit is given to anyone who contributes on the project at any time, even if they die before the project is released.

It's likely that Clancy negotiated his Executive Producer credit while he was alive and greenlit the use of his intellectual property. Filming and Production might happen relatively quickly, but the project might have "been in the works" for years while people put together the concept and pitched it various studios that would pay for it to be made. He might actually get Executive Producer credit on Season 2 and beyond depending on how the intellectual property was negotiated with the studios.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Watched it all this weekend, enjoyed it overall with many of the little issues that have already been pointed out.

However, the main thing I didn't like was Ryan starts off saying the terrorist is different, his motivations are different, etc, etc - but in the end there is very little resolution or explanation as it becomes a typical terrorist attack action flick. I mean other than him not being able to get a job, becoming a devout Muslim and then terrorist, there wasn't anything there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Is it free with Prime?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post