SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    CHiPs (Original Television Series)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHiPs (Original Television Series) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I haven't seen the series in about 30 years--my early teen years. Since it's available on Amazon Instant, I decided to go through the entire series. I'm only on episode 6 of the first season, but I'm starting to wonder: Is Ponch always in trouble?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their skin tight uniforms amazed me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Their skin tight uniforms amazed me.

I don't remember which one, but that is actually addressed in one episode, Ponch is questioned about his "custom tailored" uniform shirts.
It was something about their expense reports or something....

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We were in a rental cabin about a month ago, and they had season one in the cabinet on DVD. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes.

I liked it a lot more as a youngster than I did as a 50-something...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'm always amazed at the aerial shots and how little traffic there was....

One episode they were at a carnival and there was a shooting gallery game with 22's or something. Now I think "HA! Not in today's California" lol.

I'm going to have to watch a few episodes for old times sake.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
and did EVERY episode start with a multi car pileup?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ponch was at SHOT Show a few years back...Had a fun 15 minutes talking about the Series, REAL LE, etc. He still looked pretty good.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it pissed me off when they were chasing people on the freeway,
but when the camera man pulled back a little you could clearly see that they were actually traveling at about 40 m.p.h. Roll Eyes

instead of 80

really ?

and AND! watching them ride around on a trailer with two bikes on it got really old , really quick

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
We were in a rental cabin about a month ago, and they had season one in the cabinet on DVD. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes.

I liked it a lot more as a youngster than I did as a 50-something...

I feel that way when I try to rewatch a lot of old tv shows. Something just changes.

Excpt Married with Children has only gotten better with age !

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Ponch was at SHOT Show a few years back...Had a fun 15 minutes talking about the Series, REAL LE, etc. He still looked pretty good.

I think one of the Sig Forum LE got a photo w/ him next to their duty vehicle. I think it may have been a bike.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I used to watch that show as a kid.

I remember one episode where someone was unloading a mirror from a truck. It was a large sheet mirror and it blinded a driver, causing him to wreck his truck on the freeway. Smile

They recreated the unloading of the mirror a few days later, they even took into account the time difference between days and the relation to the sun. Yep, it caused a blinding light on the freeway AGAIN! Big Grin

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
All those pesky take off ramps arbitrarily placed on the roadways.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I think one of the Sig Forum LE got a photo w/ him next to their duty vehicle. I think it may have been a bike.

when I was in the grocery business, he showed up at a store I ran,

a couple of my associates recognized him, and he got real pissy,
his, I think she was his wife, asked that we leave him alone, (he was in town for something and getting some stuff for the ride home )

seems 2 people saying 'that looks like that dude from CHIPS' pissed him off,

we did what we could to keep people away, all 10 that were in the store on that slow day,,

and he acted like a total dick

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I loved how the FIRST act when a driver's forward view was even mildly obstructed was to YANK THE FRIGGIN' WHEEL HARD OVER. Once, a kite landed on a car windshield; the driver did the above, and there was the usual 30-car pile-up. . .

I loved that show.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It relied on character chemistry and slight bits of humor. The precursors to success for NCIS. Throw in scenic vistas with music and you have CSI:Miami or Hawaii Five-0. Randi Oakes as Officer Bonnie Clark and Brianne Leary as Officer Sindy Cahill really made chips fun on season 2 Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if we are doing the "brush with fame".

I waited on Larry Wilcox and his wife three or four times in Woodland Hills.

they were very gracious .
She bought him a tractor with an auger for their
horse collecting outfit.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Jay Jay + Mr. Pickles > Ponch + John

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXQwnP2Tyg

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved that show as a kid but when i re watched it I realized how tacky it was. Some of the the things that stood out:

1) Every episode had to have one major crash usually caused by something stupid.

2) Ponch was pretty much a sexual predictor

3) Each week they had to work in some "cool" activity....hang gliding, hobie cats, etc...usually with hot chicks (see number 2)

4) if you watch the freeway and chase scenes and multiple episodes you will see many of the same cars/trucks over and over again.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
CHiPs was going to the be modern-day Lone Ranger and Tonto duo. They even set up Ponch as the designated story writer. But audience reactions and, perhaps, Ponch's personality, switched the roles soon enough.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
CHiPs was going to the be modern-day Lone Ranger and Tonto duo. They even set up Ponch as the designated story writer. But audience reactions and, perhaps, Ponch's personality, switched the roles soon enough.

IIRC, Larry Wilcox left because he and Eric Estrada did not get a long and Estrada had some huge ego issues.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post