SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Last Season Of The Americans
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Season Of The Americans Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
I think Stan will catch Elizabeth and kill her, while Phillip will somehow escape out of the country. Paige is the wildcard and I'm not sure how that will pan out.

Just one episode to go!

Then Phillip goes back to Russia, finds Martha, and lives out the rest of his life as Clark. Wink

I would not expect Phillips life to be too long after a reunification with Martha, It would probably end not long after he closed his eyes to go to sleep.
Martha must be one PISSED OFF WOMAN!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
I think Stan will catch Elizabeth and kill her, while Phillip will somehow escape out of the country. Paige is the wildcard and I'm not sure how that will pan out.

Just one episode to go!

Then Phillip goes back to Russia, finds Martha, and lives out the rest of his life as Clark. Wink

I would not expect Phillips life to be too long after a reunification with Martha, It would probably end not long after he closed his eyes to go to sleep.
Martha must be one PISSED OFF WOMAN!

I was actually joking about how that would be a real karma ending for Phillip. But I think Martha really would take him back, and hell, he might go through with it out of guilt.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Just finished the final episode - wow. No spoilers here, just hate to see this series end.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this finale is what they had in mind when the series was created.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was well done. Not what I expected but still....
And I enjoyed Brothers in Arms.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Anything short of a spectacular ending will be a HUGE disappointment.
All the ducks are lining up in a row, its up to the writers to make this the greatest ending any series has ever had.
I hope they pull it off.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I agree ^^^^

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Spoiler:

I don't think either of them cared about dying. Instead they lost everything and it was all for nothing.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Every character is faced with a negative or deeply unsure future, not a glimmer of positivity. Nobody got their's. I wasn't spoiling for blood but zero closure? That was what, five seaons, well spent. Roll Eyes Mad

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm not mad about the way it ended, but not particularly satisfied, either.

For me the most impactful moments, unexpectedly, belonged to Paige. First when she was pleading with Stan in the garage, and then when she was watching the train depart.

I do think it was a bit of pandering to the fans that nobody died or was captured, after avoiding those things for so many years. It would have been so much more impactful had at least one person in that garage died. How about if after Philip and Elizabeth claiming they never killed people, they killed Stan right there in front of Paige? Or Philip couldn't, so Elizabeth did, like we've seen time and again lately?

Also, I was so hoping when they made it back to the USSR they'd of seen the vast poverty and been given a glimpse of the top-to-bottom corruption. It was a squandered great opportunity to make a factual observation about the system they fought for.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was pretty disappointed with it. Like most of these programs do, and I have no idea why, they left too many unanswered questions and no closure.

What of Paige and Henry? Paige will be on the most wanted list and her life will be on the run. She's too young and naive to make that work. Is she just going to give herself up and go to prison rather than being "free"? Dumb move having her stay behind. And Henry? His life is screwed too, and who is going to pay for his tuition now. Stan?

What will Phillip and Elizabeth do now back in the USSR? Run a travel agency there?

Ugh. Disappointed.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to watch it on demand and it keeps getting stuck at the 22/26 minute mark. I've tried about 3 or 4 times already. Arrgh.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not sure why y'all are disappointed?
Seems to me it was a nice concise and sad ending.
Maybe not enough CGI and blowing up shit, huh?
I don't think there were really unanswered questions - all pretty much can be interpolated well.
I enjoyed the finale and the series.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Hardly. In fact the action stuff was always the weakest link in this show. I will say they ramped up the violence this last season, really out of place with what had come before and maybe leading the viewer to think there would be hell to pay.

In the end the finale was fitting, self-absorbed navel gazing to no real purpose. If the producers expect me to interpolate what follows, they've got another thing coming.

I'll note I've been consistent in criticizing this series, in that regard the ending didn't surprise me.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

I could have lived with the ending if the Jennings had stayed in the same character through out the series.They started out as a "typical" American family that just happened to be Russian spies.
They performed spy missions that were on the most part semi harmless.
They then began to slaughter/kill innocent Americans. Stan blew the brains out, executed, a Russian that killed his partner.He knew that the Jennings had killed those 2 FBI agents, slaughtered the Russian family and there small child, and countless other murders, NO WAY at the end he would just let them go.It all should have let loose in that garage.
The other members of the Russian spy ring should have been rounded up after the Jennings were in custody.But no.
Page should have been killed or arrested, she was a willing spy and smart enough to know better.
Stan is advised that his girl friend is probably a Russian agent, he does nothing but look at her sleep, and cover to make her sleep more comfortably.
They go back to Russia but end gazing at the bright lights of the big city, no indication that there life there would be horrible, just maybe a bit different.
WOW, did the writers drop the ball!

Picture of Major Dundee
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is all a setup for a future follow-up mini series. Wink

Posts: 133 | Location: El Pasostan | Registered: November 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I really feel that the writers could of done so much more. I was really sure Stan's girlfriend was going to do something, ANYTHING. Like appear in the garage and shoot Stan in the back. I mean why even write her in, with all the attached mystery, and not even use her?

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the ending. As someone said, it was all for naught.

The closure came with all the uncertainty happening in the Soviet. And everything about the ending just added to all the uncertainty as things veered from expectations.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Not sure why y'all are disappointed?
Seems to me it was a nice concise and sad ending.
I don't think there were really unanswered questions - all pretty much can be interpolated well.
I enjoyed the finale and the series.
YMMV

This is where I’m at. I was satisfied with the way it ended. One possible exception, I can’t believe Philip and Elizabeth will be welcomed by the KGB.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a piece crap ending. No way in hell Stan would have let them skate.

So much wasted potential.

Hollywood is completely out of ideas.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post