SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    French Grand Prix, anyone watching?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French Grand Prix, anyone watching? Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I like the Safety Car as much as the F1 offerings.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
*** Spoiler ***

Here's what I saw with the first turn incident. Vettel on softer tires had the jump on Bottas, running up Hamilton' exhaust. Hamilton lifts -- not a brake check but slows -- jamming up Vettel. This was clear from the overhead shot as well as from Vettel's on board -- when Sky chose to pick that view up early enough.

When forced to slow from full steam, Vettel locked up, clips the totally innocent Bottas. Hamilton created that situation, he's used unexpected slowing in the past as a tactic. Whether you agree with me or not, I find it distasteful that Sky totally ignored Hamilton's sudden slowing as an element of the incident. But Little Lew Lew is a genius who is not to be faulted, no?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the start was a dogs breakfast

and yes, I agree that Hamilton was the instigator...too bad that that the only way Hammy seem to be able to win is to cause others to wreck out

the best part of the race was watching Vettel work his way through the pack

at least he got a few points from it, but all in all, a pretty lousy race

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I watched and deleted the race before I read this thread, but I found highlights on Youtube. I guess Hamilton did in fact slow up when he saw Vettel behind him, in order to upset Vettel's line and give Bottas an advantage.

Too bad the race organizers (and the commentators) didn't see the same thing, or the results would have been different.

This is at least the second time Hamilton has, in effect, brake-checked Vettel. We're already beyond coincidence, this was enemy action.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
All in all, a fairly action filled race. Lots of overtakes & Vettel and Bottas working back through the field.
Floor damage for Bottas limited his ability to move up as quickly as Vettel, wonder if not making the 2nd stop would've netted him a better finish...

Definitely more enjoyable to watch then the Monaco & Canada parades.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
In Vettel's post-race interview he took all the blame. Not so simple as that IMO. He said he got "too good" a start, ended up boxed in. With the air off his front wing, a lot of lost downforce and braking. I'll add just the act of slowing took away downforce. Not sure if Hamilton slowing was his idea or a team plan. Vettel had all but cleared Bottas, was slowed bringing Bottas back into play and yeah, Vettel boxed in.

So I believe only Vettel so much. He's been suckered by Hammy before, SV wouldn't give LH the satisfaction again. Experience has taught Seb carping would just be turned back on him. Kinda like Charlie Brown telling Lucy and her football " Ha Ha! Got me again."

As long as I'm speculating, Hammy's post-race interview was a bit odd. He seemed a little sheepish, kinda wary. Would HE be asked about the turn one mess? Of course he wasn't and he got the hell out of there.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
*** Spoiler ***

Here's what I saw with the first turn incident. Vettel on softer tires had the jump on Bottas, running up Hamilton' exhaust. Hamilton lifts -- not a brake check but slows -- jamming up Vettel. This was clear from the overhead shot as well as from Vettel's on board -- when Sky chose to pick that view up early enough.

When forced to slow from full steam, Vettel locked up, clips the totally innocent Bottas. Hamilton created that situation, he's used unexpected slowing in the past as a tactic. Whether you agree with me or not, I find it distasteful that Sky totally ignored Hamilton's sudden slowing as an element of the incident. But Little Lew Lew is a genius who is not to be faulted, no?

Total BS

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Total BS

What do you think you saw?

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I “think” I saw Vettel receive a 5 second penalty

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wait - why'd you branch off from our soon-to-be epic thread? Wink

eta- realize you may not have posted there in the recent past. If you're interested it's here.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I vote we let the other thread die. I think there should be one thread per season. Not some gigantic thread for the rest of time.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd vote the other F1 thread be 2018 specific and no "beyond", chuck this thread in there. New F1 thread every season.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
All in all, a fairly action filled race. Lots of overtakes & Vettel and Bottas working back through the field.
Floor damage for Bottas limited his ability to move up as quickly as Vettel, wonder if not making the 2nd stop would've netted him a better finish...

If Bottas really had floor damage, how was he able to set the fastest lap for the entire race?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

If Bottas really had floor damage, how was he able to set the fastest lap for the entire race?

That's what separates the greats from the good.

Being able to make the pass without having a big crash. Most of those guys are actually within a few tenths at most in equal cars but only a few have that something extra.

Clearly it wasn't all that bad. Vettel just pushed his way through traffic better.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post