SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Corner Gas comedy on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corner Gas comedy on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Anyone else like Corner Gas comedy? Wife started watching it and I kind of like it too. A Canadian comedy set in the fictional small rural town of Dog River Saskatchewan. A guy names Brett Butt created it and is in it as owner/manager of a small gas station and right next to is the the Ruby Diner owned by Lacey a big city Toronto gal that moves to Dog River because she inherits the diner.

https://www.amazon.com/Corner-Gas/dp/B07KWJ2W9G

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397138/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My wife and I binge watched it after New Year's. Well done with engaging characters and no heavy themes.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yeah I watch it. Oscar and Hank crack me up.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats a great show

you need to remember that its not a comedy - its a documentary

Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Love Corner Gas. There's an Animated Corner Gas now, same characters.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the one rare moment of downtime at work over New Years I stumbled upon it, and said what the heck.

I usually don't even give these shows a second look but I was mentally spread thin since I was so busy working that four day stretch solo.

I kind of like it. To me it's not a grab you by the throat funny but a relaxing, put you at ease, chuckle regarding mannerisms, jestures etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yep, just finished season 4. The gorgeous lady of the house has not much of a sense of humor, so I watch and chuckle. I binged on a season during a snow storm...pretty sure my IQ dropped a few dozen points. But, hey, I laughed, shoveled snow(didn't laugh) and returned to laugh. Apparently when doing so with headphones on can be a distraction to your wifey thingy...

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it!!

I'm five minutes in and I'm hooked.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it when it first came out years ago. We loved it.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Hank, the Canadian version of the British village idiot, is a hoot, and the inter-action between the two cops is priceless.

We love it.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
is it kid friendly, or are there some dicey adultish themes? Couldn't find any ratings in that way. Looking for something fun to watch with a 14 and 12 year old that doesn't have those UM YIKES moments of uncomfortable themes.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
is it kid friendly, or are there some dicey adultish themes? Couldn't find any ratings in that way. Looking for something fun to watch with a 14 and 12 year old that doesn't have those UM YIKES moments of uncomfortable themes.

Yep, kid friendly with no cussing or sexual content.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I missed some early episodes and was going through season one to see what I missed. Emma had the cops take Oscar to the doctors office LOL since he didn't want to go.

When I was growing up we lived in a small town of about 300 people and I can relate to a lot of what I see in the show. Wanda is an interesting character with her sarcasm and knowledge as she seems to know about everything including Lamborghinis.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Here is a taste of what Corner Gas is about with an emphasis on Oscar.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Corner Gas definitely has echoes of The Drew Carey Show (which came first).

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the show. Bought the DVD set an added them to the plex library where they stay in our regular rotation.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
is it kid friendly, or are there some dicey adultish themes?

There are some adult themes and language; some, "how the hells" bastards, damned, and jackass. etc. definitely below the R rating, probably pg to pg-13 level.

I binge-watched the first season in three sittings. It's mostly Seinfeld type humor (which I love) based on cheesy word-games and sarcasm. In the 13 episodes I watched, there are some, "yikes" type moments that caught me by surprise. The show is pretty tame, but I would not have wanted my 12-14 year olds to have seen those moments or heard those lines. One whole episode was devoted to a couple sleeping together. They showed only a kiss but the conversation and innuendo about the "event" was the obvious theme through-out. Another episode was all about "cell-phone" size. Two men were jealous of each others' "size". The theme of the episode was devoted to the "size doesn't matter as long as it works" theme. It's not a topic I would want my young teens to dwell on. This is all just imho btw.

Oscar is a bit over the top for me, leading to some cringe-worthy moments. But I think that is the point of the show lol. I find most of it funny in a "I would have said that" type of way. But having my young teens watch it, uh, probably not. While most episodes are harmless, if you preview them and control which ones are watched, what you want to do could be done.

When I was 14, I was watching the babes of petticoat junction at Hooterville and it all went right over my head. Younger kids than that have watched crabs in bikini bottom on sponge-bob so it's all a matter of personal opinion and tolerance.

Oh, and one more thing, the intro theme song sounds like the song, Stacy's Mom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas@Last,

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
BTW interesting trivia. Brent (Leroy) Butt is married to Nancy Robertson who plays Wanda.

posted Hide Post
I like it and have been watching it. It’S not laugh out loud funny but more of a quiet, cerebral type funny.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny show! I watched it years ago, they used to show it on TBS, I believe. The gal that plays "Lacey" is hot!

Posts: 467 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post