SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    special made computer "desk" or just some ole table
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

special made computer "desk" or just some ole table Login/Join 
posted
Curious as to what the members happen to use, to perch their keyboard, screens mice, and tower on.

The neighbor lady has an elaborate, 6 foot tall,
closable armoire, with the printer above the monitor and a pull out keyboard shelf.

its gotta weigh 350 lbs.

what works best for you ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used a drafting table for nearly 20 years but upgraded to an office desk from IKEA last August. More room for when I eventually add a third monitor but I want to build a new computer first.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the best "computer desk" is a folding table from Walmart. Lots of tabletop real estate, lots of space underneath. No little nooks or crannies to cram your PC and block airflow or bend cables at weird angles.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
Space, I want space. I found an oak desk (regular desk type desk, with drawers both sides and pencil drawer in the middle), but the top is 3ft x 6ft. I've never been one that wanted the keyboard lower on a separate pullout. Everything on one surface, with lots of space to spread out.

Before I retired, I rescued an old govt. steel desk at work that was a "partner's desk", with drawers and kneeholes on both sides. IIRC, it was about 4ft x 6ft. I had no partner, though. All mine.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I bought a solid wood slab door and set it on two three drawer filing cabinets.

I got lots of room.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
A co-worker picked up 2 of the new adjustable height desks. They are really constructed well and gives him the option to stand or sit.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
I bought a solid wood slab door and set it on two three drawer filing cabinets.

I got lots of room.

I have all that , and was thinking of the same thing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I just built one with some metal legs from Office.com and a slab of oak butcher block from Floor Décor (30"x60") that I stained and finished with Poly.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
here at work we build our desks out of 3' x 10' solid core wood doors. cut 2' off the door to use for supports at the ends, then borco/vyco on top of that for hand drafting.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For home, I built some with 3/4" plywood. Very solid, custom fit to the room, yet relatively cheap. Years later I converted one into a standing desk by adding keyboard and monitor stands.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I got one of these from Amazon.

No assembly required, has a shelf to put stuff on/under, and a few bars to zip-tie wires to. Less than $100. Works for my needs fine.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A countertop with backsplash built in mounted to a 2x4 frame. My wife hates it but it was built to fit me.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
For work, I've used tables my whole life and prefer them. I do like tables that are a bit more like "lab desks" with the legs near the rear, and an "L" shaped "foot".

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
My wife's grandmothers antique kitchen table, covered with matting of course Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically we just have some cheap desk from office depot/max. We moved last year and obviously our old desk didn't survive the move. So for the last 9 months or so our computer has been on the coffee table. I got quite fond of it being there Big Grin But the wife wanted a desk. I had a buddy who was looking for a project to work on so my wife had him make this. I still prefer the coffee table...

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post