SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The post on "Where Eagles Dare" caused me to check TCM to see if I could catch it. I missed it, but I did catch "The Enemy Below," which I nominated as one of my favorite "Pre-1960 War Movie[s]." I recorded it and watched over the last couple days. I always liked Mitchum, and Jurgens is my idea of a non-Nazi German officer (or maybe Mike Pence Big Grin). Great movie. Great character study. The conversation between Mitchum's character, the ship Captain, and his ship's doctor (Russell Collins) helps make the movie great. Outstanding supporting cast

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article about ""Twelve O'Clock High."

https://www.airspacemag.com/hi...lock-high-180970369/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
The Caine Mutiny would be my favorite, I enjoy several that have been listed though.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several listed, but probably Run Silent, Run Deep.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sands of Iwo Jima

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
For German war movies, Hunde, Wollt Ihr ewig Leben?
I like it, in large part because it portrays the heroic effort the 1st Romanian Army's effort against the initial Soviet hordes onslaught. This army actually stopped Marshal Zukov's 1st echelon attack, forcing him to commit his 2nd echelon in to combat, which was not the plan. It may have saved the German 4th Army.

Also interesting point. Notice how the Germans are portrayed in Stalag 17 and then in The Enemy Below. The former was made before West Germany's rearmament (allowed by the 3 western occupying powers) and entry in to NATO, while the later was made at about the time of West German entry in to NATO.

Friend of mine, a former USMC LTC with a doctor in history, likes to compare pre- and post West German NATO accession Hollywood U-Boat movies like this:

Old U-Boat commander: "Achtung! Achtung! Fire 17 more torpedos into ze burning hulk, then we surface, destroy ze lifeboats with gunfire, machinegun ze survivors and dynamite ze floating bodies! Heil Hitler!"

New, improved U-Boat commander: "Ach, another beautiful ship gone. Quick, let's surface to rescue ze survivors, put them in my cabin, and I will sleep in ze head. Oh, how I miss Greta and ze kids!"

For West German war movies, the 50s were an interesting period against the backdrop of controversial domestic debate on re-armament, opposed by a broad movement of intellectuals, war veterans and the churches. There were the patriotic ones, usually set on the Eastern Front, trying to win moral victories after the fact, usually suggesting the german soldier was brave and clean but abused by a dastardly and militarily inept political leadership (this is of course typical for countries after lost wars). The others were of the "never again" pacifist type, like the classic 1959 "Die Brücke" about a squad of Hitler Youth senselessly defending a bridge against advancing US troops. Avoid the 2008 TV remake, even if it has Franka Potente.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Mr Roberts (1955) w Henry Fonda, Jack Lemon, William Powell, and Jimmy Cagney. Directed by John Ford.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
So many good ones, hard to choose. So I'll go at a slightly different angle and say....
Operation Petticoat.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Fighting 69th with Jimmy Cagney. I watched it many times as a child.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TCM will be featuring more than 70 WWII movies in May and June.

On Thursday (March 14), TCM -- the cable home for films from Hollywood’s bygone era -- revealed plans to mark the 75th anniversary of 1944′s D-Day invasion by airing more than 70 WWII-themed movies through the months of May and June. As part of those plans, TCM host Ben Mankiewicz will report for duty at the New Orleans museum on March 26-27 to film segments with curators who will serve as his co-hosts for the two-month-long programming block.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Not much I can add, but any thoughts on From Here To Eternity?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
“Command Decision” with Clark Gable.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Not much I can add, but any thoughts on From Here To Eternity?

Great novel. Typically mediocre film adaption.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
A lot of great movies already mentioned. For me Casablanca is my all time favorite movie and if it can be considered a war movie that that would be my choice, followed closely by From Here to Eternity.

If it has to be a “combat” movie then I’d choose Twelve O’clock High.

One I also think is excellent (which might be considered a war movie) is The Best Years of Our Lives.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
My vote is for 'Fort Apache.'

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
No clue about the date or the title but I think it should fit the bill.

One that impressed me since my young age is the one about the legless RAF pilot.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
What about The Patriot? A year 2000 production with Mel Gibson.

I own a copy and watch it every year or two.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
No clue about the date or the title but I think it should fit the bill.

One that impressed me since my young age is the one about the legless RAF pilot.

0-0

Reach For the Sky?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049665/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Twelve O’Clock High. Run silent run deep and sands of Iwo Jima fascinated me as a kid so sentimental favorites. Sergeant York is another...but Gregory Peck and Co. I can and do still watch. Amazing movie wish they could stil tell a character based story like that in today’s movies.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What about The Patriot? A year 2000 production with Mel Gibson.

I own a copy and watch it every year or two.

Unless it was filmed in 2000 BC, that doesn't qualify as "Pre-1960". Big Grin

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post