SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I've been on a 1940s war film kick lately - Battleground, They Were Expendable, Sahara, Sands of Iwo Jima, etc.

Usually, when "Favorite War Film" question is asked, most folks respond with modern movies - Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Platoon, etc. Sometimes folks will go back to the 60s or 70s with films like Patton, Lawrence of Arabia, or The Sand Pebbles. But rarely does anyone go earlier than that.

So I'm going to mix it up a bit... What's your favorite war film made before 1960?

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Paths of Glory

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Story of GI Joe
Bataan with Robert Taylor

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Run Silent, Run Deep.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sound of music and Sargent York
the best years of our lives was pretty good as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The Battle of the River Platte. Bonus points when they got three of the six principle ships to have a role. Seeing USS Salem fill in as Graf Spee is jarring, but they explain it in the beginning.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Battleground and Sands Of Iwo Jima are my two favorites. Own them both ob DVD.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The Dambusters(1955) is good. I really hope the remake by Peter Jackson is greenlit.

Sink The Bismarck is 1960, so it is close, and worthy a consideration.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Twelve O'clock High (1949) with Gregory Peck

Great study about the pressures of command.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A second vote for 'Paths of Glory'. I'll also throw in 'All Quiet on the Western Front'.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Stalag 17

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
A Walk in the Sun

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Twelve O'clock High, if pressed for one favorite, but They Were Expendable and Stalag 17 are right there with it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107490 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I always like Malta Story.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
All Quiet on the Western Front

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wilberforce
posted Hide Post
They Were Expendable or Sgt. York

---------------
"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am a warrior.”
--Joel 3:10, ESV

Posts: 186 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Years of Our Lives.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Casablanca

Twelve O'clock High

Nothing else comes close

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
^ listed my favorite..., these good too:

49th Parallel

The Steel Helmet

The Best Years of Our Lives

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I have to go with Sands of Iwo Jima. Every time it was on, my Dad would make sure we watched it. I remember one time when I was 7-8 years old, it was on at 11:30 pm. Dad made me take a nap and we watched it. He passed when I was in high school but every time I watch it brings me great happiness.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post