Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2018 Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that Texas had given grant $ to COTA but that has since dried up and maintenance is the least likely place the track is spending money. Sad really.

There was a pretty good wipe out in the MotoAmerica race that I think can be related to the bumps in the track. Can't remember which rider, but coming down the stretch off the hill (turn 11 maybe), he bounced and the rear tire spun up pretty good....the bike bucked and just like that, his race was over.

Maybe they can get it fixed but I am not hopeful.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on Colin Edwards riding that all electric bike for a lap just before the MotoGP race started....most people around me didn’t even notice him on the track! I was initially excited about electric MotoGP but the lack of sound really makes it a non-event. Racing should be loud!

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:
Just a comment on Colin Edwards riding that all electric bike for a lap just before the MotoGP race started....most people around me didn’t even notice him on the track! I was initially excited about electric MotoGP but the lack of sound really makes it a non-event. Racing should be loud!

I just watched that clip today. It was a bit eerie watching it and only hearing the tires on the track. Kinda creepy really. Can't imagine getting on one and riding down the road on it.
I ride with ear pro in so a bit of exhaust noise is good. None, not so good.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that Texas had given grant $ to COTA but that has since dried up and maintenance is the least likely place the track is spending money. Sad really.

There was a pretty good wipe out in the MotoAmerica race that I think can be related to the bumps in the track. Can't remember which rider, but coming down the stretch off the hill (turn 11 maybe), he bounced and the rear tire spun up pretty good....the bike bucked and just like that, his race was over.

Maybe they can get it fixed but I am not hopeful.

There is or was some state money that could be tapped for building a stadium or sports facility. COTA got access to that money during the build. I think it was 25 mil, iirc, and for a Racetrack, a tip on the bill, more or less. I also remember Kevin Schwantz getting fucked on the whole deal. No love for the people who run COTA. I’d rather go back to Laguna. More fun, better vibes, better racing. COTA is the most technical and challenging track on the calendar but it does not produce close racing whatsoever. Track is large, lots of turns, so one mistake will ruin a lap and there aren’t multiple lines to take in corners for overtaking. COTA produces the most processional racing on the calendar. It is fun to ride on a track day however. They better repave it or MotoGP will go elsewhere.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
KTM picked up Zarco. Hopefully he will be as competitive as he has been on that Yamaha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Catching up from the weekend.

Sure looks like a different season for the Suzuki team. Not sure Rins is serious about keeping his contract as I have heard it isn't set in stone yet. Major issues for sure with that guy.

Dovi got screwed in the race as did DP26. I can't lay all the blame on JL99, but just enough to believe he is still a giant douche. I sure hope he doesn't get a spot at Suzuki (or anywhere else for that matter). The guy is toxic as a team player.

Not sure what is going on with Yamaha. They definitely need to figure out the electronics or they won't be competitive the rest of the season. Maybe they shouldn't have retired (fired) the guy that knew what the fuck he was doing with that stuff.

KTM is gonna be a lot more competitive next season from the looks of Kallio on the early '19 bike.

Damn you Crutchlow....I have been pulling for you all season and you keep dropping the front end like it's going out of style. You can't blame that on anyone but yourself buddy. I'm done with you!

Stick, I think Zarco has made a great choice to go with KTM. He should be able to develop a factory bike, not a leftover. Really thought he was going to take Rossi's spot at Yamaha after this season and he still may end up there once their contracts are up in 2 years, but he will be a devil to contend with at KTM.

Since Argentina, MM93 has said fuck it, I can't get penalized from the front Big Grin. Don't care for the guy personally, but man he rides that Repsol Honda like an Ace. He's clearing out by quite some margins and it has me wondering how he is able to command such a giant gap.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yamaha is in the same place they were in 12 months ago. Sad. VR and MV really putting the pressure on Yamaha now. I’m a big Rossi fan and he deserves a so,I’d bike for his last few years. Where is Masao Furusawa? Hire him out of retirement.

The Honda is dialed, and 2018 is already over imo.

Iannone is starting to get really fast. Rins is still a rookie. His first season was last year but he was injured for most of it. He should come around.

I would hate to be in that Ducati garage.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Suzuki is rumored to be considering Lorenzo. I hope they stick with Iannone and Rins. I don’t see Lorenzo helping Suzuki’s chances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Stick, my personal opinion is that Whore Gay isn't going to Suzuki. I think that after this last race, he used up any and all credibility he had in MotoGP. He genuinely believes he's better than anyone else on the track and he won't want to play second fiddle to anyone. Chances are that he would be looking at a very substantial pay cut to ride for any team and he is too big of a liability for any team that is or wants to be competitive. For those reasons, his choices are very limited on where he will go. Satellite? Aprilia? Slim pickin's for the #99.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I loathe Yorga but respect his skill. He’s fast as hell with the right bike.
Iannone is riding well and I hope Suzuki smarten up and retain him. Last year the bike had no front end feel so he couldn’t feel the limit and was in the litter a lot. Suzuki has fixed that and bam, Crazy Joe has been competitive every race.
Lorenzo has always been arrogant as fuck and he’s done himself in this time. The Ducati competed for the 2017 title and Dovi was as fast as Marc before he got taken out. Jerez has always been a thorn for Corse and Andrea had the lap times. Honda has obviously nailed their 2018 machine but Ducati isn’t heaps behind, just marginally. Yamaha is screwed due to their own stubbornness so it’s down to Andrea to stop Marc or 2018 is already over.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
J-Lo was quick. It's possible he still is, but I'm not sure anyone wants to pay his price and deal with his shit. As for the season, I fear it's already over. Barring some odd accident or some kind of injury for MM, he is all set to keep his #1 placard. Dovi would be well within striking distance if it hadn't been for 0 points in the last race.

I don't think Rins or AI are going anywhere. They are both still developing the bikes and will be competitive for the end of the season much like Dovi and Duc last year. Each race, the bike gets better and I think if Rins could quit washing out his front end, he'd be quite the handful.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Suzuki just signed Rins to another two year contract. I think it was a good move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Suzuki just signed Rins to another two year contract. I think it was a good move.

Aleix re-signed with Aprilia too. There was talk of him going and that was foolish.

But this is mega news and better than any rider signing.
https://www.motorsportmagazine...next-electronics-ban

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Rins and Aleix extending their contracts is just the noose that gets ever tighter around J-Lo's neck. I love it Big Grin

Pre. I saw the chatter about the ICU's being fiddled with and I think HRC is one of the biggest abusers. Personally, I'd like to see at least one or two races a year where there are no nanny controls, straight motor and rider ability.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Dovi signs for 2 more with Ducati Razz. Hopefully Petrucci gets the 2nd seat and J-Lo goes away.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Dovi signs for 2 more with Ducati Razz. Hopefully Petrucci gets the 2nd seat and J-Lo goes away.

Iannone hinted that his future would be settled “in a few days”. There is a chance he and You’re-Gay May swap seats.

And yes, I’d love it if they banned TC altogether as well as LC, anti-wheelie, slide control, and the rest of the bs. I’m no pro and neither of my bikes have TC and both make right at 170 RWHP. The pros can handle it. I don’t miss the 800’s but I miss the 990’s. They were sliding tire smoking beasts. Rossi used to cross up the wheels out of corners on the 211V and it was magical.
The 500’s were even better. Feel sorry for folks who weren’t paying attention during the 2 stroke days. The 500’s were nasty nasty machines.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Should be a good race tomorrow. Zarco sits at pole on his “home” track. Will be great for France if he ends up winning. Hopefully Cal will be able to race tomorrow. Haven’t seen any updates but it looked like he might have cracked a rib or two and hurt his pelvis. That was a bit of a spill that he took.

I expect an announcement or two after the race regarding who will ride with Dovi.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Track remains cool despite the sun (and no rain at Le Mans, wow) so any rider that lets their adrenaline get the better of them will end up in the litter. Twice as many crashes in practice as previous years so there will be crashes tomorrow.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I called that.

36 point lead in the championship after 5 races? The 2018 championship was over after Jerez. Unless Marc crashes and injures himself forcing some DNF’s we might as well look to 2019. Honda just nailed their 2018 machine and Marc is exploiting it. HRC spends more than any mfr., always the biggest budget in the sport. When they get it right it’s hell on Earth trying to catch them.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this season is just about stupid. When will someone be able to stay on their fucking bikes and compete? It's not even about equipment anymore. I get that certain tracks are shitty and each manufacturer has their particular tracks that each is good at, but what in the hell? Can't criticize Marc and HRC at all for his ride. They've done what they are paid to do. Everyone else either needs to retire and let some new blood in or step their game up with money, engineering, and riding technique. The field is so spread out that it's like watching a track day with all groups combined. Mad