SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Heilung: Sounds from the Northern European Iron Age and Viking Period
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heilung: Sounds from the Northern European Iron Age and Viking Period Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I swear there are channels on YT that remind me of sites I've stumbled upon in the darkest parts of the Dark Web.

Tonight I stumbled on this one, Heilung. It's quite mesmerizing to have play while reading. It seems to be awakening my northern Celt and Viking DNA. I can't begin to contemplate what it would be like with a belly full of mead and 'shrooms, but I may give a report on that come the weekend (just kidding).

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/h1BsKIP4uYM

From the Heilung Farcebrook page:

quote:
Heilung is sounds from the northern european iron age and viking period. We used everything from running water, human bones, reconstructed swords and shields up to ancient frame drums and bronze rings in the songs.

The lyrics contain original texts from rune stones and preserved spear shafts, amulets and other artifacts. Furthermore poems, which either deal with historical events or are translations/ interpretations of the originals.

Every attempt to link the music to modern political or religious points are pointless, since Heilung tries to connect the listener to the time before Christianity and its political offsprings raped and burned itself into the northern european mentality.

Heilung means healing in german and describes the core of the sound. It is supposed to leave the listener eased and relaxed after a sometimes turbulent musical journey.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
since Heilung tries to connect the listener to the time before Christianity and its political offsprings raped and burned itself into the northern european mentality.

because there was none of that going on in Northern Europe prior to Christianity. Oh, wait, yes, there was. Seems to have been a lot of bloodthirsty Danes, Saxons, Franks, Jutes, etc. killing each other.

interesting music. Has absolutely nothing to do with pre-Christian pagan cultures as we have no way of knowing what the music sounded like in terms of meter, structure, etc. We can bang on drums, play flutes, try to do imitate Tuvan throat singing, but it is all guess work.

Might as well try to figure out what songs druids sang.

I am more struck my the visuals.

oh, and somebody get that cackling bitch in the audience to shut up.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Been listening to their stuff for about a month now, was linked to it while listening to Wardruna and some other tribal Scandinavian stuff. That concert is badass to have on in the background and the female singer has an absolutely amazing voice.

True we don’t know what ancient music sounded like, but it’s hard to deny this is damn catchy, they sing mostly in Old High German and one of their songs features the Mersburg Charms (oldest known Germanic writings)

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:

She must travel a LOT because I swear I hear her in nearly every show....

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
Viking groupies

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
damn heathen pagans...

I need to get re-baptized after listening to that!

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
What in the wide wide world of sports is going on here??

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Origin of music.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:
since Heilung tries to connect the listener to the time before Christianity and its political offsprings raped and burned itself into the northern european mentality.

because there was none of that going on in Northern Europe prior to Christianity. Oh, wait, yes, there was. Seems to have been a lot of bloodthirsty Danes, Saxons, Franks, Jutes, etc. killing each other.

interesting music. Has absolutely nothing to do with pre-Christian pagan cultures as we have no way of knowing what the music sounded like in terms of meter, structure, etc. We can bang on drums, play flutes, try to do imitate Tuvan throat singing, but it is all guess work.

Might as well try to figure out what songs druids sang.

I am more struck my the visuals.

I have to agree that statement also raised my hackles for its intense myopia.

We also need to consider that the ancient Germans didn't have access to thousands of dollars worth of sound mixing equipment and speakers.

This music is pretty neat all the same.

I used to listen to a lot of Chinese and Japanese traditional music, along with some Buddhist throat singing. This moves me in the same way that stuff does. I like it!!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I'm just popping in to find this again. Even if their politics suck, my youtbue view wont be enough to support all of them

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post