SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Force on Netflix--documentary on the Oakland PD filmed 2014-2016
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Force on Netflix--documentary on the Oakland PD filmed 2014-2016 Login/Join 
posted
Man.

There are so many issues at play there I don't know it's ever getting solved.

How do you police a community that doesn't want to be policed? Ask Baltimore how it's working out I suppose.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
OPD has an almost impossible job. The street cops have almost no backing from the city administration. I remember back in March 2009 (almost exactly 9 years ago) when the 4 officers were killed. Ron Dellums was mayor then and the rank and file did not allow him to speak at the memorial service.
To show you what the community thinks of OPD officers, the asshole who shot them is considered a hero by some community members.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine being a cop in Oakland given the lack of support and active disdain coming from the political class combined with the lack of respect and trust coming from some in the community on top of decades of bad acts by a small percentage of the dept. It's a perfect storm. Gentrification and the passing of the 60s set will start moving things in the right direction though the rot at city hall will take longer.

Didn't know this show existed and will definitely watch.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I can't imagine being a cop in Oakland given the lack of support and active disdain coming from the political class combined with the lack of respect and trust coming from some in the community...

this is painfully evident in the program.

the documentary itself - IMO - is quite neutral.

officers shown trying to do the right thing in very challenging situations.

the crew was filming during a 'perfect storm' of events.

but in the end - Oakland comes off as a pretty bad cesspool.

------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post