SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New series "The Son"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New series "The Son" Login/Join 
posted
I watched the first couple of episodes. I think it has some merit.

Pierce Brosnan plays a real hard ass trying to get started in the early oil fields. Plays a cattle baron turned oilman who was captured by the Commanche when he was a teen.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Its really slow moving, and I was disappointed with Pierce Brosnan replacing Sam Neil. So far Brosnan isn't convincing me of his character. The flashbacks from Eli's childhood with the Comanche are the best part of the show.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It does unwind a bit slow but after watching the first three episodes I really like it.
Seems to be well made and written.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot. The first episode was a bit slow, but each episode is better.
It is well written and well acted. I think Pierce Brosnan is doing a fine job. The relationship between the character's youth experiences and what he has become is fascinating. (What about the intense scene in the beginning of episode 3 - scalping the banker)?
The evolution from the times of the early settlers, when the Comanche ruled the plains, into the 20th century oil fields, all within one lifetime, fascinates me.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if it may have been inspired in part by There Will Be Blood.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
They filmed some of the show at the Driskill here in Austin. It's adjacent to my office. Pretty cool.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I binge watched today and got caught up. I like it so far.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's not bad. I'll stick with it for awhile. It's another one of those shows that must be watched from the DVR. One hour show = 35-40 minutes of show and the rest is one commercial after another.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
So far it has me intrigued. I believe they have done a good job bouncing from the earlier storyline to the 1915 storyline, kind of like they are feeding us the necessary information for whatever is about to come up, although right now I favor watching the earlier story.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started this one last night. 2 episodes in & not bad so far.

Watching on Hulu & it's got quite a few commercial breaks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, let me put it this way- I watched all episodes of the first season, with the exception of the final episode. I won't be bothering with it any further.
Think about what it means to invest the time in a season, then refrain from watching the season finale.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, let me put it this way- I watched all episodes of the first season, with the exception of the final episode. I won't be bothering with it any further.
Think about what it means to invest the time in a season, then refrain from watching the season finale.

Without spoilers, was it something in particular that turned you off so much on it?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The atmosphere of the show. It was mean, depressing, toxic- tragic downfall and misery. Life's too short.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023