SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Bedford Incident movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Bedford Incident movie Login/Join 
posted
Right now it is playing on SonyHD on Direct TV. Stars Richard Widmark, as the ship captain, and Sidney Portrie (sp?), as a visiting photo journalist.
I enjoy this movie, but have no direct knowledge of naval operations. Is it anywhere close to the actual situations during the Cold War?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No specifics from me, but I know we played games with Russian Bear bombers on a frequent basis. And our subs actively tracked Soviet subs as well. I don't know if surface warfare ships actively tracked Soviets subs or not.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Found this on Wikipedia

quote:
Actual Cold War incident[edit]

In October 1962, shortly before the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Soviet submarine B-59 was pursued in the Atlantic Ocean by the U.S. Navy. When the Soviet vessel failed to surface, the American destroyers began dropping training depth charges. However, unlike in The Bedford Incident, the Americans were not aware that the B-59 was armed with a T-5 nuclear torpedo. The Soviet captain, believing that World War III might have started, wanted to launch the weapon. However, his flotilla commander, Vasili Arkhipov, who by happenstance was using the boat as his command vessel, refused to endorse the command. After an argument, it was agreed that the submarine would surface and await orders from Moscow. It was not until after the fall of the Soviet Union that the weapon's existence and how close the world came to nuclear conflict was made known.[7][8]

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Skimmers couldn’t hear a fart in a bath tub Wink Current DDG’s are too busy being focused on A2/D2
That ASW has become secondary and a fallen task to the attached SH-60 Seahawks. The best defense against Subs is another Sub.. Bedford Incident was a good movie..

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No specifics from me, but I know we played games with Russian Bear bombers on a frequent basis. And our subs actively tracked Soviet subs as well. I don't know if surface warfare ships actively tracked Soviets subs or not.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Always liked that movie. I thought Widmark gave a great performance.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Excellent Cold War thriller, with a great supporting cast. Sidney Portier, Wally Cox, Martin Balsam, and James MacArthur. A game that nobody can win. Right-up there with similar films: On The Beach, and Fail Safe.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post