SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hyperion (Dan Simmons novel)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hyperion (Dan Simmons novel) Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Anyone read the Hyperion Cantos?

I'm about halfway through Hyperion and it's excellent so far. I can't believe I missed this book, which came out smack in the middle of when I was voraciously consuming sci-fi/fantasy as a teen.

Thoughts on the book(s)?

No spoilers, please; I'm just about through Sol Weintraub's tale.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try "Summer of Night" by him if you have not yet read it. Really, really excellent.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The later ones can get a bit slow, but they were still good. The story develops by quite a bit, on a similar epic level to Dune.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I listened to the first two as audiobooks.

The fall of Hyperion really explains quite a bit of the mystery of the first book. You need to read both to get the full picture.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I started Hyperion a little while ago, and I wasn't into it at first- but after the priests story I'm all in.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notarex:
I started Hyperion a little while ago, and I wasn't into it at first- but after the priests story I'm all in.

Exactly my thoughts. It was slow to begin, but about halfway through the Priest's tale, I was hooked.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
One of the best series of sci-fi/storytelling I've ever read! Make sure you read all four!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yes. Every time someone asks for book recommendations (that I see) I recommend them.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m that guy. I didn’t care for it. I kept waiting and waiting for the point of it all...

I’ve read worse. It I could not get into it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'm with SigJacket. Everyone always raved about it, I kept reading it waiting for it to get good. I don't think I'm going to read another book in this series to "get" the first one.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I made it about halfway through and just could not get into it.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just finished book one. Audiobook.

It's an interesting way to connect all the people.

Maybe book two will tie a few more things together...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3457 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Book 2 ties a whole bunch of things together.

quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I just finished book one. Audiobook.

It's an interesting way to connect all the people.

Maybe book two will tie a few more things together...

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I read them all many years ago while out at sea in the Navy. Dan Simmons is one hell of a story teller!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to read them out of order which would make the series more enjoyable to a new reader? I have the first novel but can’t stand it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post