SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hyperion (Dan Simmons novel)

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hyperion (Dan Simmons novel) Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Anyone read the Hyperion Cantos?

I'm about halfway through Hyperion and it's excellent so far. I can't believe I missed this book, which came out smack in the middle of when I was voraciously consuming sci-fi/fantasy as a teen.

Thoughts on the book(s)?

No spoilers, please; I'm just about through Sol Weintraub's tale.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18243 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try "Summer of Night" by him if you have not yet read it. Really, really excellent.

Posts: 2660 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The later ones can get a bit slow, but they were still good. The story develops by quite a bit, on a similar epic level to Dune.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 14842 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I listened to the first two as audiobooks.

The fall of Hyperion really explains quite a bit of the mystery of the first book. You need to read both to get the full picture.

Posts: 2493 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I started Hyperion a little while ago, and I wasn't into it at first- but after the priests story I'm all in.

Posts: 485 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notarex:
I started Hyperion a little while ago, and I wasn't into it at first- but after the priests story I'm all in.

Exactly my thoughts. It was slow to begin, but about halfway through the Priest's tale, I was hooked.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18243 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
One of the best series of sci-fi/storytelling I've ever read! Make sure you read all four!

Don't believe everything you think.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 1665 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yes. Every time someone asks for book recommendations (that I see) I recommend them.

Posts: 5471 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m that guy. I didn’t care for it. I kept waiting and waiting for the point of it all...

I’ve read worse. It I could not get into it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 1865 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'm with SigJacket. Everyone always raved about it, I kept reading it waiting for it to get good. I don't think I'm going to read another book in this series to "get" the first one.

Posts: 867 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I made it about halfway through and just could not get into it.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post